Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

Dubai in 12 hours...

E

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 18th, 2010
Any suggestions how to go around and see Dubai in 12 hours? I know Im pushing it, but hey, you only live once!

Fluffy_bunny

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 18th, 2010
Depending on your arrival/departure time, there is a tour desk in the airport that offers tours of the city. There are a couple of tours available. Including a hop on/hop off big city tour bus

Alternatively, the airport is on the lovely new Metro line making it easy to get into town. You could check out the Dubai Creek (take an Abra :) ) and go up the Burj Khalifa (world's tallest building. But getting to the Palm or Burj alArab will be more expensive as you will pretty much need to take taxis.
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 20th, 2010
Burj Khalifa would be pretty cool.
and then take a cab to:

The souk downtown and Dubai Creek, very cool. There are many stores, lots of gold jewelry, and we are talkking really nice designs and good quality. Many many "designer" watches, sunglases and bags. .. These are in the back and you will have to go with one of many sellers that get their customers from the area of the gold souk.
The food is great and cheap in the area, and in 12 hours you will need something to eat....
If you are in the market for spices, this would be the place as well.
Please remember this is the Middle East so everything you buy, in the souk, you bargain for and you bargain hard. That is everything! gold, spices, clothes, fake or original electronis and the list goes on and on.
Definitely take a ride across the creek in an abra

The tours are also a good option. Ideally if you can cover the three items above, you will get a good feel for Dubai. If I were only able to do two, I would skip the tour.

If you still have time, although I doubt it
Burj al Arab, definitely worth while if your budget allows. You will need a reservation to get into any of the restaurants so plan ahead. If your visit is on a Friday, you're in luck: many restaurants offer a buffet, and that includes the Al Muhtana on the 28 floor. Only 150USD.... Did I mention bring lots of cash.... the lowest cost glass of wine was 48USD. Important detail, traditional UAE or business casual attire is needed and in one of the restaurants you will need a suit.

The locals, might steer you towards the sand dune ride in a AWD, or Sky Dubai, or the malls. All of these are cool in their own right, but not as cool as the first attractions.
When I visted the metro was under construction, so I took a cab for 4 hours. Expensive but not out of reach. If you can use the metro for the tour, so much better as it would hit the Palm and Dubai Marina.

Jamal Panhwar

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 24th, 2010
Traveller_2007 has explained the tour quite nicely. You can either take the bigbuscompany bus which is usually available at the airport every hour or can take a taxi to different place.

You might as well take the tour of 4 hours as suggested above. If you are spending the evening take Dhow Cruise dinner as well.

So the suggested program will be

Fist take taxi straight to Jumeirah Mosque
Than drive along the Jumeirah road towards Burj Dubai and take U turn and come to Dubai Museum and Heritage village here you might want to take the boat to cross the creek to visit the Gold Souq Musrshid bazaar these will take quite some time for you and before you return to airport drive to one of the fine hotels like Hayat Regency nearby to have a coffe

Jamal
Jamal Panhwar
http://www.travel-culture.com
http://www.exoticdubai.com

Therisa

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 26th, 2011
I really encourage you to see the Dubai museum, with its "Old Dubai Souk" exhibit, archeological finds, and wildlife features.

Return to Middle East Travel