Eire is more than just Guinness, green hills and redheads... Come talk about what makes Ireland so special.

Dublin is not expensive and here's why

dub1

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 10th, 2007
Smile

There's a very useful website for Dublin visitors called Free Dublin www.freedublin.com it's packed with up to date local information.

Smile
A.A.D. = Almara Accommodations Dublin - a free finder for Dublin

Landire

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 10th, 2007
*bookmarks site* Thanks!
Visit my blog: The travel blog

whatyadoinsucka

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 13th, 2007
i was hoping a guiness link would pop up..

ah well ..

Littlemustard

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 13th, 2007
yes, you must go to the Guiness storehouse but before you go on the tour and get your free beer you have to go into the gift store and buy the dark chocolate made w/ Guiness. It tastes sooooo good w/ the beer - please do this!!! and yes it does taste better in Ireland Smile

whatyadoinsucka

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 12th, 2007
well after a weekend away in dublin

I felt food was very expensive (well the pound is crap at the moment)
pints of beer was good value euro's4-5.5

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 29th, 2007
Guiness definitely tastes better in Ireland. I'd go back to the Guiness Storehouse for the guiness-enhanced chocolates, absolutely...BUT, I wouldn't bother with the tour ever again. I thought it was a bit of a rip off. You don't even get to see the beer being made, or anything...it's just a bunch of glass & fiberglass-etched signs explaining it all. After two or three entire FLOORS of that, you're ready to bail & head up the lift for your pint. The view from the top is cool, but...plenty of places around Dublin for good views.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

Bowe

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2008
Dublin is expensive if you live there. Its the same as anywhere else if your going out there though. Hotels-100 euro, a pint is about €4, a meal for 2....about 30-50 each.

Anna Begins

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2008
Gonna have to go with Bowe on this one.. Whatever you may find in Dublin that's cheap/free.... Dublin is still a rip!

Tip: Bring sandwiches!

Bowe

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 9th, 2008
I have to say though-compared to venice dublin is very very cheap. I paid 36 euro for a chicken curry,7 for a bottle of beer,and between 10 and 20 to be allowed sit down in a restaurant

manktelr

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 8th, 2008
yeah your right about venice but thats only for the most touristy part, you'l never find a wine shop in dublin that will sell you 2 litres of wine for e2.50 (and that wasn't that far from one of the big squares-down some wee side street) and the restaurants on Lido were the same price or cheaper than dublin.
The worst thing about Dublin is that traditional food (apart from fish and chips Wink ) is a complete rip for what you get e.g 10 euro for a bowl of irish stew most places in the city centre charging a fortune for a fry (still feeling the loss of that greasy spoon on dame street)

If your really hungry I'd recommend the all you can eat Chinese on Abbey street (beside spirit) think its about 9 euro for the buffet

dub1

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 22nd, 2008
There's plenty of hints and money saving tips on Dublin's popular online guide called Hidden Dublin and my own website will be a big help to all Dublin visitors.
A.A.D. = Almara Accommodations Dublin - a free finder for Dublin

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 26th, 2008
my cousin lived in dublin for 4 months two years ago and found it to be brutally expensive...most people who I know that have visited dublin say that it is small, tad over-rated and real expensive...yes the euro has crashed over the past few months which will help travelers bound for europe (like me in December-Jan!) but still, I have not heard great things about traveling to dublin, sorry.
Josh has taken his much needed vacation and will be going on another Christmas to New Years 2011/2012. However, before he does read about his past trips http://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

OnceUponaTimein1979

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 31st, 2008
Frown Man I want to see Dublin. But I hope its not as bad as people make it. Gotta do more research. Thanks guys.
Are the Stars and Sky look the same any where you go?

rawjer

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 1st, 2008
Just to add my two cents to this thread, I was in Dublin for the first time just a couple weeks ago, and I'd have to say my impression is basically just what Eppyboy just mentioned.

I really expected I'd love it because I'd heard quite a few good things about that city, especially lately, but I wasn't too impressed, and beer in particular felt like a total rip-off there. I ordered a pint in a Temple Bar bar, and it was €5.20, so I went a couple blocks away to a nearly-empty old man's bar, and a pint was €5.30. I kept asking around and everyone told me that unless you find a promotion, a pint in Dublin is €5+. The Temple Bar district itself was also fairly disappointing to me.

Then I went to Galway where a pint was a bit under €4 everywhere I went, and I thought that whole city was delightful. I then went to Killarney and had a similar experience, so my own working theory is that Ireland is a bit like New Zealand in that the big city is worth a quick look on your way in or out, but the rest of the place is really special.

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 2nd, 2008
post above is why rawjer is a great travel writer.
Josh has taken his much needed vacation and will be going on another Christmas to New Years 2011/2012. However, before he does read about his past trips http://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

Next

Return to Ireland Travel