Eire is more than just Guinness, green hills and redheads... Come talk about what makes Ireland so special.

Dublin?

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 11th, 2008
Quick question; I will find myself in Dublin for a week, in July, work related, but I have some free time. I can not add days at either end of my trip. Really Dublin was nowhere on my list to go, but I kinda, musta, have to go there. This trip will be much more comfy than my usual travel style.
That being said what are some must see's and must do's in Dublin?

whatyadoinsucka

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 12th, 2008
hello there is actually a forum directly below the europe one for ireland

http://boards.bootsnall.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/96900237316

Whilst working I would max the work visa card and enjoy yourself, lots of bars, clubs, comedy clubs, and restaurants that with a meal allowance should be exploited to the full

make sure you drink some guiness, murphy's, kilkenny, caffreys, bulmers cider, magners cider

and eat a abra'kebab'ra kebab after far too many pints

GoIreland

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 15th, 2008
Dublin is great for a city break! It's charming, friendly, compact and is brimming with historical attractions, sights to explore and lots of things to do!

While you have some free time on your trip you should really visit some major attractions like Trinity College - where the Book of Kells can be seen - it's the oldest manuscript in the world! Dublin Castle, Christchurch Cathedral, the Natural History Museum, Dublin Zoo, Kilmainham Gaol, Guinness Brewery, The National Museum Collins Barracks and the Old Jameson Distillery are just some of the attractions for you to explore.

If you're caught for time, just hop on the very enjoyable 'Hop-On, Hop-Off' sightseeing tour which you can get at O'Connell Street (Dublin's main street). This bus tour stops at all the big attractions so you can hop on and off wherever you want.

Don't forget to sample some of Dublin's legendary nightlife scene - Temple Bar is the best part of the city to go for this!

Dublin is also excellent for shopping so head for Henry Street or Grafton Street for this.

Hope this helps! If you've any more questions just ask....

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2008
Thank you guys. Will test your advice in July. Actually for the beer related ones there is no need for me to wait that long, I can start my research earlier ...

Ry

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2008
Hey Traveler_2007,

I'd definitely recommend Dublin. It's a city that I've been to many times, and I have yet to get sick of. There are many great things to see while you're there.

Whether you're a fan of Guinness or not, definitely set a few hours aside to take a tour of the Guinness Brewery/Storehouse. It's a great tour, you get to see how Guinness is made, the history behind the company and best of all the tour ends at the Gravity Bar at the top of the Guinness Brewery where you receive a free pint with your tour admission! Again, if you're not into Guinness, simply being in the Gravity Bar (a circular bar with a 360 degree view) over looking the whole city of Dublin is great. The views are amazing!

Enjoy your trip to Dublin, I'll be using Dublin as my home base this spring/summer as I'm heading over to travel Europe in just 4 weeks from today! I have family in Dublin that I'll be staying at intermittently as I travel. I've created a travel blog based on my trip. Check it out at: Pause The Moment. I'll be posting blogs, photos, videos and more!

vacci

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 25th, 2008
Hi,
I can only agree with the others. I lived there for a year and will go back there soon. It's one of the best cities I've ever been to and even though you don't seem to be too excited about the trip, you will see, you'll love it! Visit O'Sullivans Bar on Westmoreland road and Porterhouse on Parliament Street in the Temple Bar. Great live music and wonderful people.
---------------------------
Holidays with Holiday Velvet

Ry

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 25th, 2008
Agreed! Temple Bar is also a great area to check out! And O'Connell street in Dublin City Centre is full of shops, and theres usually a few street acts going on when the weather is right...

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 25th, 2008
I think a lot depends on what you're in to. If it's nightlife, etc. then yep, Temple Bar is for you. It's fun to be sure...just be aware that you and a zillion others also think that, and so don't be surprised at the hordes of tourists My friends in Dublin tell me that locals rarely, if ever at all, go there.

If you want a chill little getaway for an afternoon, and to catch a different slice of life, take a bus to any of the cool little fishing villages just north of town--Skerries comes to mind.

If it's hiking you're in to, plenty of day-trip-able options from Dublin.

As for the Guinness Storehouse, think of it as just a very expensive pint of Guinness with a killer view. I'd blow thru the self-guided tour & head straight up for Gravity & enjoy your pint & the view.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

dub1

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2009
:D

Dublin's official city bus tour - the Hop On Hop Off Dublin Bus City Tour is a must.
There are 23 of the top attractions to visit with bus driver commentary onboard a one and a half hour tour. The great thing is that your ticket is valid for 24 hours so you can hop on and hop off as many times as you like. Your ticket will also get you discounts into all 23 attractions.

:D
A.A.D. = Almara Accommodations Dublin - a free finder for Dublin

Return to Ireland Travel