Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Eastern Europe

DreamerHelen

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Tags: eastern europe, cheap european airfares, eastern europe railpass
  • Added on: November 18th, 2007
I saw mentioned in another thread about an Eastern Europe Rail Pass. How do I find out more about this? Is there a Website I can look at for prices and conditions?

Thanks all!! Smile

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

For an Eastern Europe Rail Pass, just call Dave at 1-866-549-7614 (within the USA) or email him. You can also call him for free on Skype: "davekeener"

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Unless you want to make a lot of international journeys, I doubt a railpass would be worth it in eastern Europe.
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

What he said. Rail traffic is so cheap in eastern europe you probably wouldn´t save any money.

A friend of mine had one. It didn´t pay at all, for he stayed too long in one place. you need to be a real fast mover to justify the expense.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 19th, 2007
Also, looking at static's link, it only includes a few central European countries, not all of eastern Europe.

Btw: I'm a she
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

DreamerHelen

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 19th, 2007
Thanks for the information guys....I guess it probably wouldn't be worth getting one...especially if Train Travel is sooo cheap throughout Eastern Europe.

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 20th, 2007
Trains are dirt cheap, but don't forget that a bus is even cheaper. They also hit a lot more places and have a lot of options with time schedules.

DreamerHelen

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Thanks my2thhurts...is there a website I can look at for prices?

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I don't know of any websites. I've found that must of them for trains - and the little you can find about buses - are usually inaccurate.

Just hit the bus station and check on times and destinations. Make sure you ask some one. They usually don't have the entire schedule posted.

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

The national rail websites should be able to give you prices.

For Slovakia and the Czech Republic, check out www.vlak-bus.cz (both trains and busses)
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

Bentley Drummle

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 25th, 2007
Just to give you an idea, when i was in Budapest (Hungary) this summer, the price of an overnight train to Krakow, Poland was 45 Euros (66USD/32GBP), not in a sleeper either - just your standard 6 seat 'cubicle'.

http://rozklad.pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en?
Try the above link if you are travelling out of poland by rail

In some cases it may even be cheaper to fly, be sure to check out the budget airlines such as easyjet/wizzair/ryanair/skyeurope/german wings etc

cheers
Mike

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

quote:
In some cases it may even be cheaper to fly, be sure to check out the budget airlines such as easyjet / wizzair / ryanair / sky europe / german wings / etc

(Links added to facilitate easier searching)

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Depending on where you are going and what your time restrictions are, it is almost never cheaper to fly in eastern Europe.

If you are are going a long distance it might be quicker, it might be easier, but it won't be cheaper. And, depending on where you are traveling to and from, it might not be quicker or easier.

You need to look at each leg of the journey separately. From my experience, you get the best price on the bus and train by just showing up and buying a ticket. Flights are quicker and can be more convenient, but you run into a lot of problems and costs getting to and from the airport.

Look at what you want to do and the amount of time you have to do it. If time is the problem, then you need to spend the extra money to go to these places. Otherwise, you need to go to fewer places for longer amounts of time.

If you have time, you can travel for much less money and see places that are much less known.

Brambles24601

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by my2thhurts:
Depending on where you are going and what your time restrictions are, it is almost never cheaper to fly in eastern Europe.

If you are are going a long distance it might be quicker, it might be easier, but it won't be cheaper. And, depending on where you are traveling to and from, it might not be quicker or easier.

Actually that isn't true any more. W!zzAir has fares on their website offering flights for as little as 0.02 Euro (Yes, that is three US pennies.) including all taxes. Its another few Euro for the credit card fee if you go that route. There is a snowballs chance in hell you will get a train ticket for less than that in any country. The others (Ryanair, SkyEurope...) also offer deals that can be less than rail travel.

Flying can indeed be a pain though, and it doesn't always save time. Plus taking the train is fun and relaxing.

Also check out Student Agency Express, a bus service that is cheap, comfortable and all around swell.

moniak

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 1st, 2007
Like the poster above said, wizzair and Ryanair are the best ways to travel across Europe, if you want to do it quick.
Price like 2 cents are very unusual, but you can easily buy a flight for €30-40 including taxes, to any destination within Europe.
The trick with the cheap airlines is that you've got to be flexible with dates, and hours. The prices may differ considerably from day to day. Alway book at least 2-3 weeks ahead.
(I've flown with Ryanair and Wizzair about 40 times, and the ablsolutely highest price I paid was 80 euro, and the lowest 15, incl. taxes and fees)

Next

Return to Europe Travel