Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Eastern Europe, the EU and Euro

gonorth

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Tags: Europe, euro, eastern europe
  • Added on: June 29th, 2006
quote:
Hint: try to accomodate to agroturistic pensions, NOT hotels.
I may be wrong Addles but I think Andrei may be suggesting that rural accomodation could be better value than being in a city.
---...--- ---...--- ---...--- ---...---
Joes portly antipodean pal
He just wants my port and cherry ripes

Leif, God of Thunder

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by gonorth:
quote:
Hint: try to accomodate to agroturistic pensions, NOT hotels.
I may be wrong Addles but I think Andrei may be suggesting that rural accomodation could be better value than being in a city.

That and a more friendly, intimate immersion into Romania. Here are a couple web sites that feature rural homestays: www.ruraltourism.ro and www.pensiuni.info.ro Viking
-----------------------

Killing Batteries My battery-powered rise to the zenith of travel writing rapture
My full travelogue.
My personally researched guide to Romania and Moldova.

addlebrains

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Leif, God of Thunder:
That and a more friendly, intimate immersion into Romania. Here are a couple web sites that feature rural homestays: www.ruraltourism.ro and www.pensiuni.info.ro Viking

I'll take note to stay away from exchanging if possible... I'm the type to argue for a moment and then slink away in disbelief and self-pity rather than demand what is mine.

An ATM card with hundred or so in cash for back up couldn't hurt though, could it? I had no intention of carrying all of my money with me. I am naive but not that far gone Smile.

Checking those websites out right now... Thanks, guys!

Suncana

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 30th, 2006
Andrei... when it becomes possible for me to host people again, you'll be more than welcome to visit and stay at my place... I think you'd like it here Smile
I'm writing this here cause I thought I read something about it on this topic but now that I found time to reply I can't find it anymore... maybe I'm just imagining things Eek

andrei morosan

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 30th, 2006
i am so stupid sometimes, i mean that's true , i deleted my post, i considerred that you might be offended. i stated that i would like to visit yugoslavia (sorry, many people in romania still call that region that way). i said that i would like to visit our 'neighbour, sister and friend country' - yugoslavia. ceausescu used to call that way bulgaria and yugoslavia, and perhaps any neighbour country.

my intentions were good, i can guarantee you that, in despite of my 'neocomunist' saying.. it's just that i want very much to visit that country, i know many things about it, it's 'across the street' if i can call it that way, plus the war is over. since 2002 i visit france, germany, austria, italy, hungary, czech republic but i've never had the chance to go there. hope i will!please let me express my sincere and honest appreciation for your kindness to invite me there , i will definitely keep that in mind. please tell me the name of the city you live in.

now i plan a trip with 2 of my friends in transylvania. it's a sort of unconventional trip , i mean god knows how i will arive from brasov to rasnov fortress for example , but that's the best of it i think. i am not in the mood to travel to overcrowded locations, full of street commerciants . romania,being an unexplored teritory has plenty of locations like these. i have to admit also that i am ashamed when i see many webpages created by westerners, depicting their trip in romania, about their presence being here for just a week for example, but they visited more locations than i did as a tourist in my own country. I've noticed that not many romanians prefer to visit different locations, they keep a routine , the services being bad they consider that they should go to the same place last year where they felt good instead of seeking new locations.

anyone planning a trip to romania to medieval fortresses? maybe we can join our groups.

DrVanNostren

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 10th, 2006
Poland can be amazingly cheap, i don't know soo much about the big cities, but all the things i bought were really cheap. Czech republic is cheap, but can be expensive if you get stuck in tourist traps. Every restaurant posts its prices and menus outside the restaurant, so check it out, if you think you can do better, you probably can, so leave it and keep walking. You can get a beer for roughly 30 cents canadian, i've heard of beers for a quarter, but the best i did was probably 45 cents. Slovak republic is often overlooked by people, and my 1 day in Bratislava, got me hooked. Department store liquor was insanely cheap, and its a fantastic city to check out and i would recommend it to any traveller, budget or otherwise. From what i've seen Romania is cheap, but i haven't been so i can only tell you to check it out.

Hope it helps.
Always go somewhere you know nothing about, cuz even if it sucks, you'll have a story to tell.

Suncana

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 11th, 2006
Hi Andrei - I live in Split, it's a nice place and when I'm able to host people again I will definitely let you know Smile

No worries about calling the country Yugoslavia, but it's best not to do that - it all ended in such a painful way, so there are lot of emotions and it may upset people here. On the other hand, if you're sensitive about the war, people will really appreciate it Smile

Having said that, in some other part of ex-Yu some people are quite nostalgic about the old country and I guess I can understand that too. If you just take traveling for example, people in Yugoslavia had freedom of travel that didn't exist in most communist countries. After it fell apart, only Slovenians and Croats continued to travel easily, all other ex-Yu countries have this horrible and ridiculous traveling restrictions Mad It's really unfair.

andrei morosan

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 12th, 2006
pardon me for asking, is an embassy visa required for a croatian to travel in the Schengen space?

Yerzy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Hi. I live in Warsaw, Poland. Recently I've been to Bulgaria. In my way there I visited Brno (Czech), Bratislava (Slovakai), Budapest (Hungary). Going back I was also in Bucharest (Serbia). I've learned that the best way to exchange your money is using ATM card. In Bulgaria prices are very low (even in the city center of Sofia you can buy 0,5 beer for about 0,4 Euro). In Hungary prices are "european" (=not so cheap) especially in Budapest. Poland is cheap, but not Warsaw (0,5 beer from 1,5 Euro).

If you wany any further info don't be afraid to ask.

Suncana

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Andrei - no, we don't need visas for anywhere in EU. I think it's nothing to do with being an EU candidate, as it was that way for us way before we started talks for joining.

Actually for many European countries we don't even need a passport - I can travel with an ID to places like Italy (and it's part of Schengen!), Hungary, Slovenia, Latvia, Serbia, Bosnia etc. We don't even need visas for Russia like most people do - only an invitation (and not just for business as that site projecvisa says, any invitation will do). We even have it easy when it comes to traveling to Middle East.

The only problem is that in some countries they've never even heard about Croatia. My friend was kept at Chinese border for two hours once, everything was OK with his documents, but they've never heard of Croatia and didn't know if the country really existed. They were really nice to him and all, but kept him there for two hours and he was trying to explain "it's near Italy, near Austria, was a part of YU" and they were like "no, never heard of it". Big Grin
You'd think people working at the border would know this kind of stuff lol.

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

quote:
k I was also in Bucharest (Serbia).

Bucharest is in Romania, are you thinking of Belgrade?

sunnyskies

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 13th, 2006
Hiya,
We moved to Bulgaria two years ago and have noticed some changes in that time however you will be able to find some good reasonable accomodation. I suggest that you visit a lot of the rural areas as they have so much to offer. Try to do a bit of research before you go as I know here in Bulgaria finding information about a specific thing or event can sometimes be quite a search! There are lots of hostels and good b and b's that offer great value. If you are intending to go walking into the mountains there are also mountain hostels that offer great value for money (about 10-20 lev a night). Have a look at the pictures we have posted today from our village. Have a great time

Yerzy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 13th, 2006
Belgrade, of course. Sorry for that mistake.

andrei morosan

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 14th, 2006
quote:
Originally posted by Yerzy:
In my way there I visited Brno (Czech), Bratislava (Slovakai), Budapest (Hungary). Going back I was also in Bucharest (Serbia).

It is true that during the war people from Vukovar went to sleep knowing that they are in Serbia and the next morning they were actually in Croatia , but definitelly i do admit that it will be quite an experience for me to wake up in Serbia Smile

Wanderlustfest

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 16th, 2007
Hello addlebrains,

Well Slovenia joined the euro on January 1, 2007. Also Malta and Cyprus hope to join on January 1, 2008. The caribbean islands of Bonaire, Saba, and Sint Eustatius might join the eurozone on December 15, 2008 or soon afterards as brand new Dutch municipalities. Slovakia hopes to join on January 1, 2009. Other eastern european nations hope to join the euro as well after 2009. The baltic countries of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania hope to join in 2010 or soon afterwards. The other eastern European countries in the European Union will also use the euro but will do so sometime after 2010.

Previous

Return to Europe Travel