What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Eating Live Octopus in South Korea

theirreverenttraveller

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 26th, 2012
So, quite the culinary experience. I've eaten a lot of things, but I must say, this one really took the cake. Have any of you ever eaten sannakji? It was like a big plate of animal abuse. I wrote about it on my blog http://www.theirreverenttraveller.com if you want to read the full details. Or you can throw cabbage at my cruel, cruel, live octopus-eating cyberface.

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 26th, 2012
I had live octopus sushi in Japan. The slice was still moving atop the rice, and all the way down the throat...
Once was enough, though I really like dead octopus for sushi, sashimi, and cevechi.

jlinFan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2012
That is cruel, eating an animal while its alive. I'm from Asia but most Asian countries are cruel to animals. Just like in Japan, they murder friendly dolphins.

BlueLlama777

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 10th, 2012
I'm going to be living in South Korea for a year or two starting next summer. Got any other good food suggestions? The most exposure I've had to Korean food is the Korean barbeque style available in the USA. I will most certainly be trying the live octopus, that sounds like an experience!

Christian Renee Friborg

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 13th, 2012
I wanna try eating live octopus too! At least this thread gave me an idea what I'm wishing for!

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 14th, 2012
Wonder how the above 2 posters would like someone gnawing on their leg while they are alive :?: :seesaw:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

BlueLlama777

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 14th, 2012
I know, I know, "Don't feed the Trolls". But sometimes I can't help myself. Theorectically, if a lion/tiger/bear/shark, whatever, another apex predator, was able to defeat me than he/she WOULD probably being gnawing on my leg for a bit while I was still alive. Yea, it would suck, but I don't hold it against the predator who got me. Its what happens. Thats called "Nature".

Human beings are predators, deal with it.

busman7

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 15th, 2012
BlueLlama777 wrote:
Human beings are predators, deal with it.

Most humans hold themselves above animal instinct but there are exceptions like those who pull the wings off flies :!: :cry:

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 15th, 2012
1) Humans are predators??? Really since when??? Maybe a long, long time ago but certainly not now, not for 99.9999% of us. If we are, then I challenge you to catch the octopus yourself before you eat it.

2) Busman is NOT a troll and quite frankly I'm tired of people saying so. He ain't no angel but I've seem him provide lots of useful advice to fellow travelers, something a troll would never do.
Career and Conflict Resolution Coaching
www.lotusblossomcoaching

busman7

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 16th, 2012
EMH wrote:1) Humans are predators??? Really since when??? Maybe a long, long time ago but certainly not now, not for 99.9999% of us. If we are, then I challenge you to catch the octopus yourself before you eat it.

2) Busman is NOT a troll and quite frankly I'm tired of people saying so. He ain't no angel but I've seem him provide lots of useful advice to fellow travelers, something a troll would never do.

1) and hold it looking into it's eyes, while eating it alive

2) that term is more applicable to a newbee trolling through long dead threads to comment on

BlueLlama777

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 17th, 2012
Busman started it, looking for an internet argument, but I won't continue it. If you don't like the idea of people eating live octopus, don't click the link. Posting in the stale (not long dead) topic because I'm still looking for other recommendations to try in South Korea, and a people who eat live octopus is the kind of adventurous eaters I like.

busman7

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 21st, 2012
¿Guess I've been :censored: by the powers that be? :?

lerma

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 16th, 2012
I don't think I can eat a live octopus if I will go to South Korea because those sea creature has a dangerous tentacles that can lead to choking or worst I might be dead after that! Anyway I am very happy that nothing bad happen on you after you ate the live octopus.

travel droppings

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 3rd, 2013
I would eat it... It might take a few attempts, but Yes, I would.

I saw the locals feeding some pretty nasty things to tourists in Beijing markets, and never went for it. It just didn't look "fresh". From the sounds of it, you can't get more fresh than when its still moving.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

Return to Food & Travel