Discuss ways to satisfy your urge to travel without ruining the places we all want to see. Take only photographs, leave only footprints...

Eco-tourism

felice1900

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 7th, 2007
Hello! I have the project to build a “green hotel” (uses green materials, renewable energies and green processes, caring for sustainable development ) and I would like to have some insights from people who share with me the love for travel:

When choosing a hotel, is design a decision factor? What do you think about ECO-tourism? Don’t you think that luxury and sustainable development are two contradictory concepts?

If everything goes well, I would be delighted to invite some of you in my hotel in 3 years! J

Thank you in advance!

Felice1900

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

Hello Felice1900, welccome to BootsnAll. Good luck with your project!

Choosing a hotel is dependant on a number of factors.
1. Location
2. Price
3. Features

Having a balcony provides a private outdoor space and fresh air for guests. Having windows which actually open to proved fresh air and a cooling breeze.

Deep overhanging eaves and verandahs lessen the need for air-conditioning as does having plenty of (large) trees which provide shade over rooftops and walls.

A garden using mainly native plants and succulents would lessen the need for constant watering.

I have heard that evaporative cooling is cheaper to run as it uses much less electricity although the initial cost is higher.

Gardens and tours that focus on experiencing nature lead to greater appreciation and understanding, and would contribute to the ongoing conservation of natural areas.

Activities and attractions run by the residents (is that the correct word?) would provide ongoing contributions and participation for and to local communities.

I'm not sure if this is what your'e looking for but hope it helps. Hope it works out well for you.

Have a nice day, Whistler.

If you can keep a sense of humour and see the funny side of life, you will never be old. SMC. Splitform
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

TheWanderer

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

quote:
Don’t you think that luxury and sustainable development are two contradictory concepts?

nope, not at all!

but then again, I'm not huge on luxury hotels.
We recently stayed at an eco-lodge in the Rockies, and it was great. Wood burning stove, solar powered (with infrequently used generator for filling the water tank, and backup when the batteries run low), very comfy...

To me luxury is more about the services and the comfort of the room - comfy bed, fluffy comfortor and pillows, nice bathtub/shower, nice floors, nice windows/views... all of these things can be eco-friendly. The service is all about the food, the info given, how friendly the staff is, what options are available, ie. tours, walks, activities...

I think it's a great idea! Best of luck to you, I hope the trend catches on!

felice1900

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2007
wow! thank you so much!
I have a couple of questions now...
do you guys think that a design which is also sustainable costs more? do you expect to spend more (or less) for an up-scale hotel which is all made of green products and processes? why do you think it's not yet mainstream? and above all, do you think that this kind of design is constrictive? I mean, having to choose only between a few kinds of materials, or only a few sources of energy, isn't it a limitation?
thank you, your insights are so helpful!

Giacomo

linds

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2008
Hey Giacomo

How's the hotel going? Is it in Barcelona? That's my fave place in the world so I'd love to know more about it.

I've just added a new section on luxury to the Ecotourism Logue so keep an eye out for lots more discussion and articles.

Linda

zaab

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 14th, 2008
I'm afraid I may sound like a bit of a grump here, but you did ask for opinions and this is mine Shrug...I think the term "eco-tourism" is being promoted as a brand in order to sell a lifestyle that will make people feel good about consuming again. But the bottom line is that consumption is still consumption no matter if its being done in the name of green goodness or not. IOW, problem: liberal consumers may feel bad that their travel habits are contributing to the demise of the planet, solution: sell a brand of travel called eco-tourism as a means of green washing a consumptive activity and people will feel good about it.

If its a large hotel being built from the ground up in some isolated location I still picture it requiring a slew of resources, to build it, to maintain it, to keep it going, even if those are green resources. If it doesn't take advantage of existing infrastructure in an area of compact development, its not very "eco" in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that luxury hotels don't have their place, but I also think that it may be a bit misleading to brand them as "eco." The sustainable solution is a whole lot less consumption of everything, not merely the rebranding of consumption.
Argentina pics:[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaab70/sets/[/url]

Argentina Blog

linds

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2008
Hi Zaab

You're right to be sceptical, there's a lot of greenwashing around but by lumping everyone in the same boat you're missing out on some genuinely wonderful eco experiences.

Ecotourism has been around for a lot longer than you'd imagine. Some eco lodges have been going since the 1940s and are greener now than they ever were. But you're right, many people are just jumping on the bandwagon so it's important to do a bit of research into where you're going and what you're booking.

Ecotourism Logue- Discover a new way of travelling and make a difference.

whalewatcher

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by felice1900:
wow! thank you so much!
I have a couple of questions now...
do you guys think that a design which is also sustainable costs more? do you expect to spend more (or less) for an up-scale hotel which is all made of green products and processes? why do you think it's not yet mainstream? and above all, do you think that this kind of design is constrictive? I mean, having to choose only between a few kinds of materials, or only a few sources of energy, isn't it a limitation?
thank you, your insights are so helpful!

Giacomo

I don't think there are many people here with experience in the hotel trade, but yes it will probably cost more because all these factors have to be taken into consideration and this is probably why it isn't yet mainstream.

But that is where the opportunity lies. As The Wanderer says: luxury and eco-tourism are not mutually exclusive and you have a great opportunity to build a boutique hotel in a truly harmonious style which will appeal exactly to that clientele. My brother in law is an architect and he would kill for an opportunity to design something like this Big Grin

It's an investment, but it will be well worth the expense.

With all the advances made with solar heating, providing hot water etc. shouldn't be too much of a problem (they even flog those things in the UK now!) You'll probably need a backup generator, and candles provide a nice atmosphere in the restaurant Wink

We've recently been to Crete and I have heard nice things about Milia Village (although we didn't stay there). I'm sure that there are tons of other examples which might offer inspiration of how to work with local materials and resources. I'm assuming you're not building in the city itself?

zaab

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by linds:
Hi Zaab

You're right to be sceptical, there's a lot of greenwashing around but by lumping everyone in the same boat you're missing out on some genuinely wonderful eco experiences.

Ecotourism has been around for a lot longer than you'd imagine. Some eco lodges have been going since the 1940s and are greener now than they ever were. But you're right, many people are just jumping on the bandwagon so it's important to do a bit of research into where you're going and what you're booking.

Ecotourism Logue- Discover a new way of travelling and make a difference.

I was just giving my general feelings about ecotourism as the OP asked. If someone handed me tickets to some beautiful, luxurious eco lodge somewhere I doubt very highly that I would abstain on principle. But on the other hand I wouldn't delude myself that I'm doing something wonderful for the environment. Its a moot point anyway. I only make enough to do my "eco tourism" via foot or mountain bike and sleeping under the stars, which is pretty luxurious in its own way.
Argentina pics:[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaab70/sets/[/url]

Argentina Blog

Michael C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2008
I'm on the same cynical page as Zaab. I see the words "eco tourism" attached to a hotel or tour and I don't bother to read further.

To my mind, a hostel in the inner city is a far greener option that an 'eco-lodge' built in a pristine area.

I can't count how many huge swaths of land in my home state have been taken over by 'green development.' What was once wilderness where regular people could hunt, fish, camp, and hike on are now expensive places for tourists that locals can't afford.
Michael C

James Michel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 27th, 2008
It is very welcome ideas to have green hotel. Perhaps to fulfill the objectives of sustainable development, every nation and individual should bring in habit the minimization of global warming causing factors.
What should I give that is my humble suggestion, perhaps there are many things which depends on visitors to your hotels.
BingoLive

Return to Eco Travel