Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

Economic Waterproof Housing for DSLR?

djperry

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: galapagos, waterproof, waterproof housing, dslr, canon, rebel xti, underwater photography
  • Added on: July 22nd, 2007
I'm heading to the Galapagos soon and would love to take underwater pictures with my Canon Rebel XTI, but it looks like a waterproof housing will cost more than the camera itself. Does anyone know of a relatively cheap alternative that won't cause my camera to get ruined?
Two and a half years in South and Central America.
My Website (10,000 photos)
My Couchsurfing profile (only 657 photos)

CaesarRomanus

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

I don't believe such a thing exists.

I have a Nikon D200, and the waterproof housing also costs more than the camera.

The problem is each housing has to be custom to each model of camera.

You best bet is to either a) rent an underwater camera, or b) take a small camera with a small, cheap housing.
=======================
On the road since March 2007

Travel Blog | Twitter

Dirtybootz

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Maybe build your own? http://web.media.mit.edu/~tim/pix/waterproofcamera.html

With a Rebel though I'd think hard about ponying up the dough...maybe eBay or a local camera/pawn shop might could in handy?
_____

I do not deny my hedonistic tendencies. I revel in them.

CaesarRomanus

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Unless you're a professional diver/photographer, it is hard to justify the cost of the housing for a few uses.

I'm facing a similar problem. I want to go on a photo safari in Africa as part of my RTW. I will probably have to rent a zoom lens as there is no way I could carry it round for most of my trip, or justify the cost.
=======================
On the road since March 2007

Travel Blog | Twitter

WCN

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Wanderlust27:
Maybe build your own? http://web.media.mit.edu/~tim/pix/waterproofcamera.html

With a Rebel though I'd think hard about ponying up the dough...maybe eBay or a local camera/pawn shop might could in handy?

that might be good for snorkeling but I would not dare to take it SCUBA diving! Either get a Sea&Sea camera or rent one. Or get a camera and housing for a point and shoot. IF you had a more pro camera like a Canon 5D I'd say get a housing but for the Rebel it is not worth it. Camera turn over rate is normally 3 years.
-----------------------------

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums