Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

Egypt to Israel by land, is it safe?

Dustin Brett

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 11th, 2011
I am planning to be in Egypt in a few weeks and will stay until mid October. Then I wanted to take a bus to Israel and visit for a few weeks. Is it safe right now to cross the border by land. Will I be likely to run into road blocks or issues at the border or on my way to it?
Flickr | Blog

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Bideshi

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2011
Well, I only crossed that border in the other direction, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be safe. I'd be FAR more worried about being in Egypt. If you're going to be in Egypt already, crossing into Israel is going to be a welcoming haven of security. The bus from Egypt goes to a station about 500 meters from the border. You can easily walk from the station to the border - just follow the road north and don't listen to the taxi drivers who will tell you it's too far to walk. Then, once you cross the border you'll probably want to take a taxi into Eilat city center. Not sure if there is any public transport or not, but it's about 5 miles or so if I remember right.

Hope that helps.

Dustin Brett

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2011
Thanks for the reply, I actually made the trip a couple weeks ago without problem. I actually did it on the day of the beginning of Yom Kipur so I was asked questions for 30+ minutes at the Israel border but eventually made it through. I also went back to Eilat in order to cross into Jordan a few days ago and it was also safe and easy with much fewer questions. If anyone has any questions about the logistics of either of these trips I can answer them assuming you took the same path as I did.
Flickr | Blog

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 6th, 2012
Did you have a problem with the stamp in your passport, I seem to remember some years ago we had our Israel stamp on a piece of paper when we traveled from Israel to Egypt.
Did you use public transport or private travel.

We haven't been to either country for some years but I would love to go back we so enjoyed our stay when we were in Jerusalem staying in the old town in an Arab hostel, the people we met were wonderful.

Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Jean

Dustin Brett

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 6th, 2012
I went from Egypt to Israel then to Jordan so I only had the stamp when going to Jordan and I had no problem using public buses to cross the border.
Flickr | Blog

yurithebest1

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2012
Dustin Brett wrote:I went from Egypt to Israel then to Jordan so I only had the stamp when going to Jordan and I had no problem using public buses to cross the border.

Well to be honest if i were in your shoes i won't risk my life by going to Israel that way because as far as i know the border between Egypt and Israel isn't that safe.

Dustin Brett

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2012
I went via Eilat and there has only been a few attacks in it's recent history. I find traveling that you will often pass areas that have had issues in the past. But I am not going to let that stop me from going to those places.
Flickr | Blog

yurithebest1

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 8th, 2012
Dustin Brett wrote:I went via Eilat and there has only been a few attacks in it's recent history. I find traveling that you will often pass areas that have had issues in the past. But I am not going to let that stop me from going to those places.

Good for you man ! i think that you're very lucky because you were able to travel from Egypt to Israel without any problems, but did you see what has just happened this week in the border between Egypt and Israel ? i mean there are a lot of terrorists hiding in that border which can be a little bit dangerous.

Return to Middle East Travel