With loads of useful info on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, overland travel and wild animal safaris, the Africa forum is the place to discuss the dark continent.

Egypt vs Morocco

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 17th, 2010
If you had to choose between Egypt and Morocco for one week in november, which one would you choose, and why? And where would you go during this week? Am I right in thinking that Egypt is more interesting in terms of history, archeology and culture, and Morocco has more spectacular scenery?

There are plenty of budget flights from Belgium to Morocco (Ryanair and others), but for Egypt it may work out cheaper/easier to book a package deal, I think. I've seen deals for under 1000 € for flights + all in double room at resort in Hurghada, could we do better independently? Could we see pyramids and other historic sites as day trips from Hurghada? By public transport? Or hire a driver and/or guide? And what would be the best way of travelling around Morocco? Neither of us drive. My fiance speaks Arabic.
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 17th, 2010
Difficult question Karlien. I LOVE Morocco almost as I love Mali, but one week might not do it justice. The thing about Egypt is you can probably see more in one week than you could in Morocco with a lot packed in the North (Alexandria, Cairo, Sinai). Also in Egypt another package deal idea would be to check out Gap, Intrepid, Dragoman, or Oasis Overland which does short to long trips for backpackers (often well priced for what you get to see).

Morocco, with one week you have to consider distance and if you flew into Casablanca or even Marrakesh you would probably have to stick to one area. From Casa in one week you could see Rabat, Fes/Meknes, Chefchaouen and maybe leave via Tangier. From Marrakesh, you could spend a few days here, then a few days on the beach at Essaouira or south of Agadir.

Good luck!

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 25th, 2010
Possibly depends what you're after and what you want to see, but in my experience (having just returned from Morocco a week ago) Morocco is far less hassle than Egypt, but Egypt has more interesting things to see.

People talk a lot about the souqs in Marrakech and Fes and the other things to see there, but after you've seen them and tried out a bit of haggling do you really need to see the same market stalls (complete with hassle) again and again over the next couple of days?

I had three days in Marrakech recently, one of which was spent in the Atlas Mountains which was terrific, and the other two in the medina area. A couple of days was enough to have a great time around there, but longer might have been too much. Also went to Essaouira on the coast which is rather more relaxing.

Egypt has some amazing places to see, but I found the hassle from hawkers far greater and more persistent. In Morocco if you said no, that was the end of it, not so in Egypt. But if you were on a tour then you may avoid a lot of the hassles - taxi rides and touts etc.

Getting round Morocco either by train or bus (anywhere beyond Marrakech) is quite easy and extremely cheap - Marrakech to Essaouira by bus was 70 dirham, about £5 or 6 euros. Arabic isn't necessary if you've got some French, but either would do of course.
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

vaahan

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 23rd, 2010
i was in egypt 08. did sinai, ofcourse all teh sites along nile valley, day trip to dendara/abydos n alexandria. all in 3 weeks i i think. 1 wk, would be good for sinai (maybe a day trip by flight to petra), or a quick cairo to luxor. u do have to haggle a loooot in egypt. also id be cautious about hargadha. plane loads of group tours including heavy vodka drinkers from russia. people seemed to have bad experiences there.

I am planning on spending 22 nites in morocco in december. just started looking at the info and everything looks fabulous. @hideo, do you think there are any easy mountain hikes I can go on in Dec? the High Atlas will be frozen!

vaahan

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 23rd, 2010
@hideo,
also, i speak neither arabic nor french. english wont do?

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 24th, 2010
Can't answer about the High Atlas I'm afraid, haven't done that. I just went to some places in the nearer parts of the Atlas to Marrakech.

As for the language - yes you can manage msot things with English as you can in many other places. A smattering of French will help with some places but yes English will be understood particularly in tourist areas.
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 24th, 2010
Thanks for the replies everyone. We won't be able to go to either in 2010, but am definitely keeping all of your recommendations in mind for the future!
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

vaahan

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 11th, 2011
ok ive done both countries now. egypt is definitely more bang for your buck. but then i also fly from canada which is expensive, it seems people get return flights from paris to marakech for 100euros. what the hey i say! what the hey!! that is ultra cheap...u lucky europeans!

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2011
One week? Egypt- with tour you can maximise your time at the expense of money.

Never been to Morocco. Would love to go. WILL go when I go to Spain.

Egypt is probably tons more hassle than Morocco, but, there is a lot more to see in the Cairo-Luxor area in a week.

yaofeng

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2011
You have to do both of course. Both are amazing countries. Egypt has more history and will easily take two to three weeks minimum. Egypt is dirtier but Morocco isn't better by much. Egypt is a little cheaper too. The touts in Egypt is more aggressive. The frequent demands/requests for bakshesh will drive you nuts. Morocco is better in that regard.

Return to Africa Travel