Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

Egypt w/ Gap....next month!

redleader

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 30th, 2010
After a one year hiatus from traveling, I'm finally hitting the road again. I've signed up with Gap for an trip to Egypt (Egypt Explorer). I've never been there before, and to be safe I went with Gap's "comfort" level trips...both because I want to relax more but mainly because I want my own room and not have to worry about keeping up my roommate with my snoring. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone else has gone with Gap to Egypt, or specifically, this particular trip. It seems like it'll be fairly nice. I am a little apprehensive about the flight times. I arrive in Cairo at 1:30AM, though my agent tells me that many flights arrive in Cairo from Europe at this time.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 31st, 2010
Cairo airport is fairly busy, though I wouldn't hang about there. It should be little problem to get a cab to your lodging, if its already arranged. At that hour, I would definitely arrange something beforehand. Going from place to place with a taxi at that hour can be wearing.

xscorcho

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 20th, 2010
don't worry about the flight... i also flew into the airport in the middle of the night from europe!
never heard of gap so can't help you there.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 20th, 2010
redleader wrote:After a one year hiatus from traveling, I'm finally hitting the road again. I've signed up with Gap for an trip to Egypt (Egypt Explorer). I've never been there before, and to be safe I went with Gap's "comfort" level trips...both because I want to relax more but mainly because I want my own room and not have to worry about keeping up my roommate with my snoring. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone else has gone with Gap to Egypt, or specifically, this particular trip. It seems like it'll be fairly nice.
I've never traveled with GAP, but I certainly hear lots about them (their marketing presentations are fun to go to). We did encounter a few people in Ecuador that had used them and all seemed pleased with the results.

I am a little apprehensive about the flight times. I arrive in Cairo at 1:30AM, though my agent tells me that many flights arrive in Cairo from Europe at this time.
That's just when flights arrive in Cairo. I'm told that in addition to scheduling reasons (flights from Europe leave late enough that connecting passengers from North America can catch them), it's cheaper for the airlines because takeoffs and landings burn less fuel in cooler, denser, air - the different is bigger in hot and dry climates than in cooler or damper ones. Our flight from Malta landed around 3am, and the airport was still packed. Your tour company should be sending someone to meet you, so you won't have to navigate the city in the dark by yourself. Night's also a good time to get to Cairo, because there's no traffic, you can actually get places in a reasonable amount of time.

TrekDek

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2011
I was just teaching English in Egypt. Arriving at night is not a big deal. There will be cabs (I recommend walking towards the parking lot to get the cheaper ones). Cairo is a city that stays up late so no issues that I know of.

Have fun!

-Dale

beefmaster

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 11th, 2011
If you are arriving at night be aware of the curfuw (which is currently 2-5am). It is not always properly enforced but it has been in the past.

You can either get a taxi or the Microbus from the airport. If you don't speak any Arabic then I would probably get a taxi. A ride to downtown should cost 45 - 50 EGP MAX, although they will ask for prices in the range of 100 - 300 but just refuse.

Any other questions about living in Cairo ask away, I Have been here for almost a year now.

Benna

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2011
cairo has an international airport and it busy all the time be it day or night so its no need to worry over time as you will find people walking in and out at all times, egypt is a great place to go with the pyramids making it a great place for tourism along with great shopping, as for gap, i have not traveled with them yet!!
I love traveling. I am currently working on two websites Dubai Fun Holidays and SwissFunHolidays.com

beefmaster

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2011
Benna wrote:cairo has an international airport and it busy all the time be it day or night so its no need to worry over time as you will find people walking in and out at all times, egypt is a great place to go with the pyramids making it a great place for tourism along with great shopping, as for gap, i have not traveled with them yet!!

This may usually be the case. BUT there is a curfew being enforced at the moment. So depending at what time you arrive it may be very quiet. Also with the way things are going now the curfew could be extended back to the old times of 2 - 6am. This is important to bear in mind if you are flying in.

Return to Middle East Travel