Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Eurail pass tips, info and personal experiences

enidglasgow

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 21st, 2011
The pass was well worth it for us. Six months of 'country hopping' meant that we were using our pass every couple days. A great option if you're planning on moving around quite a bit.

heathcliffthedog

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 10th, 2012
Hey,
Thought I'd chime in here. I have tried scooting around Europe both with the Eurail pass and pre-booking a ton of super cheap Ryanair and Easyjet flights. The Eurail is more expensive, when I got it I didn't realize I'd need to be paying for tickets on top of the Eurail price. But it's far more convenient. Those budget airlines do offer great deals, but often the airports are an hour outside the city, with only one bus every 20 minutes or something (looking at you Barcelona), so I think the Eurail is probably worth it (assuming, of course, that you plan to hop around quite a bit. otherwise just do flights).

cindyfae

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 22nd, 2013
Felix the Hat wrote:I'm going to hell for this, but I'm going to hell for dozens of other things anyway, so what the hell.

If you get a Eurail Flexipass, you write in the days you use the pass on the blanks on the pass. 1 changes very easily to 4 or 7 or 11, if you don't enter another date after using it.

Haha I love this. Genius. Best tip ever, I'm going to keep it in mind.

Could anyone recommend the best way to get between Amsterdam - Stockholm - Malmo, Sweden? I could skip Stockholm, but finding it a bit tricky to get between the two quickly. I'm not familiar with the rails and budget airlines in Europe. A quick shout to just help me google the right names would be awesome.

I would rather not spends hundreds of dollars. I heard from Stockholm to Malmo can already cost $300 which is pretty horrid...
I love the feeling of being anonymous in a city I've never been before.

jeffV

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2013
it might be a bit late reply, if you go by rail, then via AMS kobenhavn,stockholm. also the site from deutsche bahn gives you a good route planner (bahn.de ) also in EN.
if money is a thing i would suggest looking at flying (a single journey direct flight for as cheap as Eur70,-)

TraveloSaurus

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 24th, 2014
From what I've heard, these passes can be terribly expensive.

Better buy your train tickets one by one, separately. And, perhaps combine with bus.

If you're looking for the cheaper way.

There is a site called "The Man in Seat 61": http://www.seat61.com
It contains lots of information on the routes, tickets and passes.

But I myself would jump over the passes and would buy the tickets one by one.

thetravelguy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 27th, 2015
Buying train tickets online won't always work. In Poland, for instance, the website of the national railways is taken offline for several hours every day and in Ukraine online payment is not yet support (Sept 2015).

Sometimes you won't get around paying a visit to the good 'ole ticket counter.

Previous

Return to Europe Travel