Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in London with a 12-hour layover.

Europe in November - where to go?

wandergurl

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 26th, 2011
I have got an extra week in November in Europe. I was looking at spending the week in Croatia - Dubrovnik/Split but I am wondering if facilities will still be open or if its still an okay time to go as things are often closed off season. I also find that most information is for activities/availabilty till October, then there is information for Christmas but nothing on November! Is it worth going at this time or should I go somewhere else? Will things still be open? I don't mind the cold, as long as the weather isn't too rainy/it's not snowing etc.

If not where would you recommend? I am also going to Istanbul, Amsterdam & Madrid, to visit friends.

Thank you.

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2011
Where will you be coming from in Europe? Is cost an issue? If you're going to Madrid, Istanbul AND Amsterdam, you'll be all over the place! Flying? It might help give better advice....

Anyway, to answer your question, I went to Croatia in February once, and yes, things are open in the off season. Ferries have a much lighter schedule, lots of the tourist stuff is put away, beaches are seserted, but I guess it depends what you're looking for. Personally I hate crowded tourist beaches, so it was perfect for me. Rooms were easy to find... actually, they chased ME down as soon as I got off the bus.

I don't think anywhere in Europe in November can promise you a rain-free trip... but I didn't think it was TOO cold in February in Croatia... so I'd imagine November would be similar.

Other places you might want to check out in that general area- Athens, Sofia, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro

Have a nice trip!

adie2356

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 3rd, 2011
There might be some things and places that will be closed but in general most of the facilities and places are open even during the off the season period. I am pretty sure that you will love the place as there so many things to see espcially when it comes to tradional architecture and acient castles. There are preserved whole medieval cities in Dubrovnik and the Plitvich Lakes national park is one of those must to be seen places. ;)

Timmie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 3rd, 2011
I visited Croatia in November and kind of bounced between there and Venice, but headed to Sicily later in the month and was glad that I did. Don't know if that is a place you had in mind, but I found it warm (weather and people) and quite beautiful. But Croatia was very welcoming as well. Southern Spain is actually very nice around that time too. As Bideshi wrote, you could be speading things a bit thin, as far as distance. I just assumed that you may be looking toward warmer areas. BTW, I never encountered any difficulties with lodging or transportation during that time.
"Whatever you can or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". Goethe

Return to Europe Travel