Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Europe Warnings

nevergoinghome

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 2nd, 2008
Beware visiting Granada.

I visited Granada in the middle of the December when they have a public holiday and the Spaniards pour into Granada. Accommodation is scarce and over priced. The attractions are packed and to visit the Alhambra you must book tickets in advance.

valencia

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 28th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by Leif, God of Thunder:
Avoid RyanAir all together. There are a dozen hidden charges and surprise fees (this is how they recoup for selling seats for 99P). The staff are poorly trained and sour from being yelled at every day by irate travelers who got stung by the hidden fees. Their network is weak. In some cities they fly out of airports that are so out of the way and cost one so much to reach that one could have paid for a First Class regular plane ticket in the end for the same price, particularly after the hidden fees get factored in.

EasyJet is infinitely better. More destinations, less hassle, less sneaky charges, more chipper staff.

I totally agree, Ryanair (or Dan Dare) for me has gone down the pan - they are so sneaky as you say. last time I flew from Barcelona to London my wife had 3kg over and I had around 5kg spare in our respective cases. I asked the check in girl if it would be ok to turn a blind eye as I had a lot of space left in my case as my wife was 3kg over and she said no we'd have to pay unless we took what was in her bag and put it in mine!! And by the way "you can't do it here you'll have to do it elsewhere and then go back and line up" Well, I was quite furious and caused a scene opening two cases and taking the 3kg from my wife's case and putting them in mine. I then proceeded to butt in the queue again as I'd already spent half an hour and wasn't going to wait another 40 minutes.
Also to make matters worse - you either pay their "prority booking fee" and get on first or you are shoved on like lost sheep afterwards! They have also done away with letting families and children or even a person on crutches on the plane first. It's a complete joke - I had to watch a mother with small kids and a pushchair suffer the long queue because she had not got a "prority ticket"
This is why I detest Ryanair as they have turned a very good company into a penny pinching outfit of dim witted clucks!
Apartments Valencia

tnicoll

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 2nd, 2008
Purse snatched in Athens.

My wife and I were in the 24 Hours travel agency in Syntagma square in Athens, Greece. We were sitting in the back corner. My wife made the mistake of hanging her purse on her chair. A man came in and went behind the counter. He then walked out, with my wife's purse. I believe the people who work at the agency were in on the scam. My wife owns her own business and would not let anyone behind the counter who was not working. She lost her phone, camera, and some cash along with her passport. The employees of the travel agency weren't apologetic, surprised, and didn't make an effort to call the police. We did use their phone to cancel her credit card. We then went to the police station and had to wait in line behind the dozen or so other people who had been targeted at Syntagma Square. We have family in Greece and have been there before. The embassy told us that 70 people had their passports stolen over the weekend before. The upside to this is that my wife had a photocopy of her passport at the home where we were staying. This made it much easier to get a new passport. The people at the American Embassy were great. We were out the door within 2 hours, passport in hand. My wife learned a valuable lesson, always keep your belongings with you. By the way, we went to the travel agency hoping to get some kind of travel deals. I ended up booking everything myself at an internet cafe in the neighborhood we were staying.

Tom

pcardenas

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 6th, 2008
quote:
Sacre Coeur

sounds HORIIBLE!!!!

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 6th, 2008
Re: Sacre Coure

The africans there are a bit aggressive, but if you walk by them with intent and up the stairs, you're home free.

They practice a form of soft extortion, and its a wonder the police don't send them on their way. Then again, Paris was once known as a place where 10 year old gypsy children picked pockets on a regular basis and were then freed, because a law prevented them from holding minors.

This is NOT the case now.

They probably eject the entire family or something now. Whaterve it is, young gypsy children and teenagers were no problem whatsoever.

Now, in Granada, the gypsies are out in full strength, and in Madrid as well. Keep all valuable cards and identity cards, not to mention large sums of cash, OUT of a wallet or purse.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Craze_b0i

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 12th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by valencia:
quote:
Avoid RyanAir all together. There are a dozen hidden charges and surprise fees (this is how they recoup for selling seats for 99P). The staff are poorly trained and sour from being yelled at every day by irate travelers who got stung by the hidden fees. Their network is weak. In some cities they fly out of airports that are so out of the way and cost one so much to reach that one could have paid for a First Class regular plane ticket in the end for the same price, particularly after the hidden fees get factored in.

EasyJet is infinitely better. More destinations, less hassle, less sneaky charges, more chipper staff.

I totally agree, Ryanair (or Dan Dare) for me has gone down the pan - they are so sneaky as you say. last time I flew from Barcelona to London my wife had 3kg over and I had around 5kg spare in our respective cases. I asked the check in girl if it would be ok to turn a blind eye as I had a lot of space left in my case as my wife was 3kg over and she said no we'd have to pay unless we took what was in her bag and put it in mine!! And by the way "you can't do it here you'll have to do it elsewhere and then go back and line up" Well, I was quite furious and caused a scene opening two cases and taking the 3kg from my wife's case and putting them in mine. I then proceeded to butt in the queue again as I'd already spent half an hour and wasn't going to wait another 40 minutes.
Also to make matters worse - you either pay their "prority booking fee" and get on first or you are shoved on like lost sheep afterwards! They have also done away with letting families and children or even a person on crutches on the plane first. It's a complete joke - I had to watch a mother with small kids and a pushchair suffer the long queue because she had not got a "prority ticket"
This is why I detest Ryanair as they have turned a very good company into a penny pinching outfit of dim witted clucks!

In defence of Ryanair... They make it clear in the booking process that they have weight restrictions on baggage. Therefore it is up to the passenger to ensure their bag is not over-weight. By ensuring bags are underweight The check-in staff at airlines are only following protocol. They don't make the company rules. Getting furious with or yelling at check-in staff is way uncool.
"Let's see if we can enjoy this recession. i enjoyed most of the previous ones."
- Zoomcharlieb.

my travel website

CarlosAlbert

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2009
Consider if your travel time would be better spent safer somewhere else. If you're set on travelling, keep safety in mind. Keep your passport secure at all times - I suggest that.

If you happen to be unfortunate and end up in a spot of unrest, then bad things can happen. Otherwise, it's pretty much life as usual. At least that has been my experience.

Of course, if the borders become blocked or some major political change occurs while you are in foreign borders, more systemic change can occur.

We were in France when the US entered Iraq and though all of the reports here were about Americans being mistreated, we never felt anything but a sense of regret and disbelief at the actions of our country...nothing negative towards us personally.
If you need information regarding a Chile wine tour PM me.

raszz19

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 5th, 2009
Interesting...I think you have to be careful no matter where you go. I've been to the UK three times, and I've been fine.

cezz

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 10th, 2009
Where's that Granada located? I've never heard about that place well thanks for the warning guys. UK is a nice and fine place so there's nothing to be worried going there just those robbers and accident. This only reminds as that every place we go we should be aware to any incident and accident that can be happen.
Yellowstone camping is the best thing I've ever experienced last vacation.

Kewa

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 8th, 2009
cezz wrote:Where's that Granada located? I've never heard about that place well thanks for the warning guys.

Granada is in the South East Region of Spain.

Another warning for Prague --> The Travellers Hostel Ujezd is a huge emptied out gymnasium filled with 70+ bunk beds. Lockers are also provided, but make sure to insist on having one. My traveling partner and I had just taken an overnight bus from Budapest when we arrived and flopped down on our beds, putting our backpacks inches below ourselves under the bed. Either we're incredibly deep sleepers or the thieves know the hostel back to front, as just about all of our stuff was stolen. Awful, considering we'd just spent 4 weeks in Eastern Europe and hadn't encountered any of this sort of behaviour. A real downer, we ended up having absolutely no money or anything but a bus ticket to Berlin which we took a couple days later after we worked off our tab with the hostel's staff.

The staff ended up being quite apathetic, and luckily had held onto our passports that night. Not trashing the hostel, but just enforcing that letting your guard down even for a couple hours leads to disappointment sometimes.

"Do what you have to do, so you can do what you want to do"

AlexBerger

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 16th, 2009
If you have the opportunity/option avoid HI (Hosteling International) hostels all together. There are a few good ones, but the vast majority adhere to an outdated hostel model with lockouts, poor services, bad facilities and the like.
I am an avid hostel/backpacker with a passion for sharing stories and answering questions.

Blog: http://virtualwayfarer.com
Site: http://ultimatepackinglist.com

moniak

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2009
Avoid RyanAir all together. There are a dozen hidden charges and surprise fees (this is how they recoup for selling seats for 99P). The staff are poorly trained and sour from being yelled at every day by irate travelers who got stung by the hidden fees.

There are no hidden charges. If you can read, which I suppose all of us do, you can see all the charges specified on the screen before you confirm your booking and click "purchase ticket" button.
It still surprises me that people can't understand simple rules, or are too lazy to read them.
If the rules say that hand baggage should be max 10 kg a piece, it's very clear that your bag can't weigh 13 kg, because your wife's bag is smaller.

I've flown with Ryanair at least 40 times all over Europe, and never saw their staff yelling at people. Quite contrary, I admire their patience with travellers who think they don't need to follow the rules, and get furious or rude because they can't accept what is said.

ReeThomas

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 20th, 2009
Yeah, they stole my backpack in Greece as well. I just looked away for a second and it was gone, so watch out.

whatyadoinsucka

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 6th, 2009
skyeurope.com have just anounced its demise

Carl24

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 19th, 2009
valencia wrote:quote:Originally posted by Leif, God of Thunder:Avoid RyanAir all together. There are a dozen hidden charges and surprise fees (this is how they recoup for selling seats for 99P). The staff are poorly trained and sour from being yelled at every day by irate travelers who got stung by the hidden fees. Their network is weak. In some cities they fly out of airports that are so out of the way and cost one so much to reach that one could have paid for a First Class regular plane ticket in the end for the same price, particularly after the hidden fees get factored in.EasyJet is infinitely better. More destinations, less hassle, less sneaky charges, more chipper staff. I totally agree, Ryanair (or Dan Dare) for me has gone down the pan - they are so sneaky as you say. last time I flew from Barcelona to London my wife had 3kg over and I had around 5kg spare in our respective cases. I asked the check in girl if it would be ok to turn a blind eye as I had a lot of space left in my case as my wife was 3kg over and she said no we'd have to pay unless we took what was in her bag and put it in mine!! And by the way "you can't do it here you'll have to do it elsewhere and then go back and line up" Well, I was quite furious and caused a scene opening two cases and taking the 3kg from my wife's case and putting them in mine. I then proceeded to butt in the queue again as I'd already spent half an hour and wasn't going to wait another 40 minutes. Also to make matters worse - you either pay their "prority booking fee" and get on first or you are shoved on like lost sheep afterwards! They have also done away with letting families and children or even a person on crutches on the plane first. It's a complete joke - I had to watch a mother with small kids and a pushchair suffer the long queue because she had not got a "prority ticket" This is why I detest Ryanair as they have turned a very good company into a penny pinching outfit of dim witted clucks!

Oh give me a break. Find me an airline these days that isn't penny pinching like crazy, Especially in America. Fact of the matter is, for the price you pay, (sometimes under 30 euros) considering how far you go, Ryanair is a damn good company and flights are sometimes a steal. I have flown with them at least half a dozen times and I have never had a problem, because I read the FINE PRINT! Something some people seem to have difficulty doing or understanding. Ryanair, so far, has been prompt and perfectly fine with me. From my experience, there are airline companies who charge 5-10 times more for the same flight who penny pinch way more than Ryanair.

If you are actually paying attention as you book, it is easy to see there are NO hidden fees. All the fees are within plain sight as you book.

Yeesh, I can't believe how many people have the gall to complain about 30 euro (or less) flights that can sometimes take you across Europe (or even to Morocco). With any other business, if you were to find cost differences to this extent, that ryanair displays in comparison to other airlines, you would get garbage. Its like the cost difference between an American organic apple and a near rotten apple from a street vendor in China. Except with ryanair, you are getting something pretty darn close to the American organic apple for the price of a near rotten Chinese apple on the street. Yet people still want to complain because they can't read guidelines properly. It isn't ryanairs fault, but yours.

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Travel