Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Ever feel like a stranger in your own home?

SkiCO

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 25th, 2007
Quick back story: I am leaving in Feb. for a 1 year RTW trip. This trip will be first real international travel and will be first time out on my own like this.

Something weird has started to happen lately. This upcoming trip has definitely got me thinking about what its going to be like next year in strange cities by myself but all this has made me start feeling that way prematurely.

It seems like I am treating my own home like a strange foreign place these days. Its an odd feeling walking around an area that you know very well but getting the feeling as though you are experiencing it for the first time. For example: the other night I was out at the bars and decided to just walk home (6.5 miles) instead of taking public transportation. For the first time I actually wanted to see the parts of this city that I usually miss and really don’t care about while on the subway!

What an odd feeling... I have divorced myself from my home yet gained so much curiosity for some place which used to seem so normal.

This ever happen to anyone else?

-SkiCO

quimby

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Spoken like a true traveler.

Wait till you get home from overseas, it gets even weirder. Smile

smoothwndrnk

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

hey tell me you route for your rtw im leaving jan 20th for mine i ll be hitting south america first.

Cassie

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

For me, the weirdest part is actually coming back.

When I got back from Europe and Africa a few years ago, I had total reverse culture shock and disgust at my own country. I remember going to the grocery store and staring at the aisles of crap and feeling lost and overwhelmed.
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
-Abraham Lincoln

SkiCO

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by smoothwndrnk:
hey tell me you route for your rtw im leaving jan 20th for mine i ll be hitting south america first.

I'll be flying into Bangkok on Feb. 1. I will probably spend the first half of '08 in Asia.

Landire

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2007
I always feel strange when I return from Ireland. It takes me a while to get used to life again. This last time I came home I never shook the desire to just run across the street when I know its safe. At least it would be if I were in Ireland. The people in my town are the craziest drivers.
Visit my blog: The travel blog

Thirsty Swagman

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 27th, 2007
SkiCo, that's a real intersting one!

Yep it's happened to me heaps, when i travel for a long time the first thing I always look forward to back home is driving my car again. Going for a drive in all the subburbs around mine, it's really intersting what you see! You seem to take notice a lot more as well of changes, like new houses etc.

Thirsty Swagman
www.worldsbiggestpubcrawl.com

Thompsonbd1

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 28th, 2007
I definately understand what you're talking about. I haven't even left on my rtw, but thinking about it kind of makes you think differently about your life. You start to kind of put yourself in that "travel mood".

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel