Too often lumped in with North America, Mexico is a country that stands out on its own.

Extended travelling - 1 year trip to México


User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
Posts: 1
Joined: August 13th, 2012

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 14th, 2012
Hey all,

I’m Portuguese guy who lives in Lisbon and I’m thinking about to take a one year trip to México. I’m a “backpacker” and don’t want to travel to the tourists and “mainstream” places.

I want to immerse in the Mexico culture and get to know the locals. So, do you guys have any tips? How do I get a whole year VISA?´

Thank you a lot guys.

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
Posts: 3221
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: August 14th, 2012
Don't know about the visa.

The thing with Mexico is that the places most worth visiting are not secret, and tend to be touristy. If you want the full-on Mexico experience, start in Mexico City ("DF" to everyone in Spanish). With 20+ million people, you're not going to be overwhelmed by other tourists. It's the heart and nerve center of the country, one of the world's best cities for eating, and a batshit-crazy vibrant metropolis that's the capital of Latin America.

The north of the country, particularly states like Sinaloa, Chihuahua, and Tamaulipas, are violent places convulsed by the drug war right now. On the other hand, the south of the country, while having problems, is relatively safe to visit.

What are you interested in? Beach and surf? Culture? Mexico is a big country, and I'm not going to write you a novel about it without knowing what you're looking for. If you're Portuguese, you're probably already semi-proficient in Spanish, so the language won't be an issue.


User avatar
Lost in Place
Posts: 88
Joined: January 1st, 2001

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: August 15th, 2012
You can only get a visa for 180 days, then you'll have to leave the country and come back again, suggest you use Guatemala for this, as it's far easer to enter than the Excited States.
"There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence."


User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
Posts: 14
Joined: May 14th, 2012
Location: Tucson

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: September 9th, 2012
As JR has stated you can only get a six month visa or tourist card. You must leave the country and then return, the same day if you wish. On return, you will be issued another six month tourist card. 294 pesos each.
Felix makes a good suggestion about spending time in Mexico City. I would add that any of the colonial cities such as Guadalajra, San Luis Potosi, Aguascalientes, Puebla, or Oaxaca will involve you with the local people and Spanish will be the predominant language. There are not that many International tourists visiting Mexico at the moment. It would be good in my opinion to travel south during your fifth month and cross into Guatemala at either Campeche or Tapachula to renew your tourist card. (Visa) First class bus service is excellent in Mexico and will allow you much freedom to travel to the colonial cities, beaches, and ruin sites.

Return to Mexico Travel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

PLEASE NOTE: Your original BootsnAll Boards Member login still works by logging in below on the Boards.
We have a new BootsnAll Account that you will start seeing around the BootsnAll Travel Network. This new login is not yet linked to your current Boards Account. In the meantime, you will need to sign up (for a BootsnAll Account) to use Account features like Indie ™ , Traveler Profiles etc.

Quick Links

Community Activity

Statistics for the last 7 days

New posts:
Newest Member:
Know Your Doctor

Indie - Multi Country Flight Finder
Round the World Travelers

Join BootsnAll on Facebook

1 (503) 528-1005

© 2017 BootsnAll Travel Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.