Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, the Tower Bridge... There's no shortage of things to do and see in London!

favorite london neighborhood

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 30th, 2010
there are so many cool neighborhoods in london it seems. im having a hard time picking and choosing. i want to get outside of just the touristy areas for sure. so, londonites.. what is your favorite hood?
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

Frank Wilson

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2010
London southbank

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 7th, 2010
I've always loved going to Camden town as an alternative day/night out. Lots of bars, cafes & interesting shops.

The bars generally have a more interesting vibe than the generic chain pubs you find in the main tourist areas of London, the most well known one being The Worlds End pub which is on the main junction in Camden.

You also find lots of interesting stuff happening on most nights with new bands & comedians etc. due to the number of live venues. The most famous is probably The Dublin Castle but there is a wide choice including The Barfly, Underworld, Jazz Cafe and Dingwalls.

I used to like the Electric Ballroom on a saturday night which has 3 different rooms as I remember.

Lucky Luke

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 7th, 2010
Hey Tiff,

It's all about East London these days;
Shoreditch/Old Street area is great for bars and clubs, from swanky clubs to grungy pubs with great live acts.
Brick Lane is famous for curry but seriously don't bother; orange, sweet and bland. What you should bother with though is the cafe/bar scene around the area and the Sunday markets. There are three in close proximity; one in the old Truman's Brewery (handmade jewellery, clothes, lots of funky stuff), the Sunday Up Market (delish food) just across the street from it and then the actual Brick Lane market (brick-a-brack, vintage clothing, fruit, stolen bicycles, anything, everything)
Lots of funky vintage clothing stores and boutiques in the area too.
Also on Sunday is Colombia Road flower market; bargain flowers, great food/coffee options (Leulu & Fernandez for eg) and heaps of gorgeous wee boutiquey shops. Go early, gets crowded!
Spittalfields is another great market; mix of upcoming designer clothes, vintage, food, music.

There are massive amounts of great cafes and restaurants in the area too - despite most tourists' impressions, London really is a city for food lovers; it can just be hard if you don't know where to go as the chains and tourist spots are across the board rubbish.

Finally, here a few blogs I follow which might help give you some ideas: - guide to cool stuff going on it the city - great restaurant blog - Now relocated to HongKong but if you read the archives they're a great resource for restaurants and coffee shops in central city.
Also, websites such as Qype and Timeout are always good for goings on/stuff to do.

Enjoy yourself. Bring an umbrella.

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 12th, 2010
thanks for the info lucky luke. :) very helpful.
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 15th, 2010
Personally I really like Clapham these days - it has definitely turned into the new up-and-coming area. It's certainly within easy commuting distance of central London, and is home to many gorgeous bars, restaurants, and clubs. What was once quite a middle class area has definitely become a place for the younger generations of working graduates. Definitely a fashionable London hotspot.

The one thing I will say about Clapham is it's such a shame that Boris has redlined south of the river for his state-funded bike scheme. What was a brilliant idea has unfortunately failed to deliver so far, in my eyes. It is a little bit ridiculous that you can find docking stations in Belgravia and Eaton Square especially...let's face it, how many rich people with their ferraris need a bike? Put them where people need them...places like Clapham and Camden, full of students and graduates, could truly benefit from the bike scheme. Don't make us buy bikes ourselves!

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2010
Another vote for Clapham, Clapham Common in this case, where I happen to live.
Also like Primrose Hill area. And Hammersmith Riverside.
Dokodemo door, travelling guide and blog in english and spanish

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 20th, 2011
I am currently living near Upper Street and I really like the area. Lots of great pubs and little shops.
It's a very livable area with great amenities. Mostly independent towards the top end of Upper Street but more mainstream towards the bottom.

I also have lived in Stoke Newington, and Church Street is also a similarly good neighborhood. Because it's accessed by bus rather than tube, it hasn't gone UBER upscale and is still reasonably diverse.

Latest Adventure: Una Moto en Argentina
Check out my RTW blog

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2011
Completely agree w/ the comments on Shoreditch & Clapham so far.

Okay, it is a bit touristy, and okay, it's a bit posh, but I still enjoy a good stroll thru the Hampstead Heath area, getting off at the Hampstead tube station (Northern line) and maybe grabbing a coffee along Flask Walk, or a pint in one of the many cool pubs in the area tucked away along any of its cool little streets OFF of the high road. Then there's the Heath itself, exploring the woods or catching the power kites & the amazing views from Parliment Hill/Kite Hill.

Similarly, I also like the village-y vibe at the area at the top of the hill at Harrow on the Hill. As a bonus, few times a year, they open up the bell tower at the church at the top, and the views are amazing. Easily accessible by Metro. line or train from central London & a bus to the top of the hill.

You can scope out a few cool neighborhoods along the canal, starting w/ the boats around Little Venice, then thru the Primrose Hill & Regents Park areas (just behind the London Zoo) and ending up in Camden. I would NOT do so at night, as the canal can be a bit dodgy by night, but during the day, it's not a bad way to see several cool 'hoods in one go.

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
I was born in Camden, and grew up there but over the years it has lost much of it's charm. For me anyway, though it is of course still well worth visiting if you're from out of town. As Lucky Luke mentioned, the Old Street area has become pretty "happening" and if you are in that neck of the woods check out Hoxton.
Check out the Whitsunday Islands when you visit Queensland, Australia

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
There are so many cool neighbourhoods, it just depends on personal preference. Here are my faves:

Clapham Common - Where I live...a huge green park, great cafes and bars - the perfect place to be in summer!

Shoreditch - All of my favorite restaurants and bars are around here, and everyone is a little bit quirky and alternative. It's where all the 'cool kids' hang out.

Soho - Quite touristy, but its a 20 somethings playground every day of the week...karaoke bars, theatre, clubs, bars, top restaurants, you name it, you can do it in Soho!
Im an Aussie living in London and have written a guide to help others doing the same.
Follow my adventures on the path to becoming a fully-fledged nomad.

Return to London Travel