Travel writing seems like a dream job: a life on the road, going exotic places, writing whenever you wanted and getting paid for it too! Get tips on how to break into the business, learn more about what it's really like working as a travel writer and get feedback on your own stories.

Favorite Travel Books?

Peacenik

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 26th, 2006
Hi Wink

French Revolutions by Tim Moore. Cycling, outrageous French waiters, comedy and lots of chafing. A laugh out loud gem.

Arabia , formerly, Arabia through the Looking Glass by Jonathan Raban. Insightful and off-beam. A great introduction to the varied world of the Middle East even if it was written long before nine-eleven and the "War on Terror". Probably my favourite travel book of all time.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Peacenik100/Skidoodog1.jpg

KPG

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 23rd, 2006
'McCarthy's Bar' for sure. Followed by 'Road to McCarthy'. Pete McCarthy is much missed.

Oh - and my travel diary from SEA - just re-read it tonight.

KPG
------------------------------
'Even if you're on the right road, you will get run over if you just stand there'. - Will Rogers
------------------------------

Fugazi

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 11th, 2006
Paul Theroux is a good travel writer. The first one of his I read was called The Old Patagonian Express. He starts in Boston and goes all the way to the tip of Argentina. Good stuff!

Ct

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 30th, 2006
I'm not saying its the best... but it's my favourite, is set in India, and can now be read here for free:
Chasing Rainbows in Chennai
http://www.freewebs.com/colintodhunter/

Ct

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 27th, 2006

If anyone would like a free electronic version of this book, laid out in book form in a pdf file, then mail me at colin@zine5.com and I'll oblige
http://www.freewebs.com/colintodhunter/

WhereForArt

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 3rd, 2007
Sometimes I like to read travel diaries and books from long ago - one of my favorites is "Our Hearts Were Young & Gay" by Cornelia Otis Skinner (daughter of Otis Skinner, a famous actor/director from the 20's) and Emily Kimbrough (mother of Charles Kimbrough of "Murphy Brown" fame). The book details their trip to Europe in the 1920's and is hysterical.

Another oldie but goodie is "Full Tilt" by Dervla Murphy, who traveled by bicycle from Ireland to India in the early 1960's. I read this book in high school and it was the first to give me the idea that you can travel close to the earth.

Travels in Turkey 2007
Easter in Italy

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 4th, 2007
Try this one, if you are looking for a classic journey. A tougher woman, I can't imagine.

TRAVELS WITH MYSELF AND ANOTHER

The "another" is Ernest Hemingway, who she cajoles into going with her on one of her trips. Fantastic book
Good Luck Out There.

FUNCHILDE

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 6th, 2007
I just read Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure and have to agree with Lux, a great read. I'm also going to vote for Honeymoon with My Brother, which is irresistibly touching unless your heart is a cold, hard, nugget.
How does one become a butterfly? she asked pensively. You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.
- Trina Paulus

http://www.funchilde.com

Young Wanderer

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 8th, 2007
Vagabonding-Rolf Potts
On the Road-Jack Kerouac

These were two of the first traveling books that I have read, I obviously have a lot of catching up to do!
My blog! http://youngwandering.blogspot.com

.RiffRaff

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2007
My favourite is Tiziano Terzani's "A Fortunate Teller Told Me".

The joint themes of this beautiful book are his decision not to fly for one year whilst employed as asian correspondent for Der Spiegel and the search for and meetings with famous or notorious fortune tellers in the places he visits.

I'm hoping that if loads of you buy it more of his work might be translated into English <nudge>.

Sean Luxembourg

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 16th, 2007
Okay, so Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks is my faorite too!

I also enjoyed;
Chasing Che by Patrick Symmes
Travels in a thin country by Sara Wheeler
The Fruit Palace by Charles Nicholl
and
Marching Powder by Rusty Young/Thomas McFadden

I'd honestly say that Marching Powder is a MUST READ!!!!!

Honorable Mentions go to Bad Times in Buenos Aires by Miranda France and In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin.

Stay away from:

In the tomb of the inflatable pig by John Gilmette
Where there are bees, there is honey

- Winnie the Pooh

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 18th, 2007
quote:
My favourite is Tiziano Terzani's "A Fortunate Teller Told Me".

I love this book! I was nearly heartbroken when he passed away in 2004. He had such wonderfully gentle and profound insight. I also really liked 'Goodnight Mr. Lenin' and 'Behind the Forbidden Door.' What I would really like to see is a translation of 'Another Turn of the Merry Go Round,' which is the story of his battle with cancer.

Of a different feather, I enjoy Redmond O'Hanlon's writings, especially 'In Trouble Again' and 'No Mercy.' Few other people, while in the middle of danger and certain intestinal upsets, can believably convey their excitement over spotting new and as-of-yet-recorded fauna.

WhereForArt

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 21st, 2007
Just got finished reading "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert and loved it - one woman's odyssey to Italy, India and Indonesia.

Travels in Turkey 2007
Easter in Italy

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Sean Luxembourg

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 3rd, 2007
Okay, I've got a brand new recommendation!!!

Diane Thiel's

The White Horse: A Colombian Journey

So far so great! I'm only 66 pages in thus far, but here's my favorite passage:

quote:
And here, in Jaqué, with all this lush vegetation around us, Miguel kept insisting that toilet paper couldn't possibly come from trees. "They wouldn't cut a tree down to make toilet paper," he said.
I didn't blame him for disbelieving. It doesn't make sense to me either. As we went back and forth, and I said again, "Believe me, it's true," a little girl who was standing nearby, listening, looked over and piped up, "No, it isn't. It comes from Panama City."
Where there are bees, there is honey

- Winnie the Pooh

Scriblerus

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 6th, 2007
Chatwin, of course

Some others that haven't been mentioned:
Rory Stewart's The Places In Between- One of my favorite books of the last few years, let alone travel-related. Open-minded yet shrewd with a firm grasp of the history and culture of Afghanistan. I can't wait to read his other book, The Prince of the Marches about his experience as a provincial governor in post-invasion Iraq.

most anything by Robert D. Kaplan (The Ends of the Earth, Balkan Ghosts, Surrender or Starve, plenty of others) - Mixes excellent travel obeservation with keen political and historical analysis. Probably my favorite journalist working today.

Peter Fleming's Brazilian Adventure and News From Tartary - The brother of Ian, Fleming injects a great dark wit into his stories. Great if you appreciate misadventure.

Tété-Michel Kpomassie's An African in Greenland - Hailing from Togo, Kpomassie pursued a childhood ambition to see Greenland. His experiences among the Inuit are a massively entertaining case study of culture clash that is ultimately quite touching.

just a few recent favorites-- truly great travel writing and reportage is a recent passion of mine

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Writing