What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Favorite wine region?

Miamc

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: wine, favorites
  • Added on: June 12th, 2009
I count on wines from the Loire when I need a bottle for a hostess gift, mainly because I've been there several times and am pretty familiar with them.

I've not been overly impressed with wines from the Rioja in Spain. Some are good, but many are only okay -- it's hit or miss, while in France and Italy it's far more hit than miss. I'm partial to nortern Italian wines; anything from the Veneto will catch my eye and palette.

Getting out of western Europe, I've tasted an excellent Georgian wine and would love to try more, just never see it in the US. And I'm currently into Malbec from Argentina -- it's so full bodied, with so much personality. I haven't yet meet one I didn't like.

Finally, being a native of California I do have to admit to some bias there -- but as with la Rioja, it's hit or miss from Napa and Sonoma. Further south, Santa Barbara and Temecula produce some nice product, but I think those areas are still generally immature (like I know what I'm talking about!). And some of the nicest wines (but pricey) I've had are from Cheateau St. Michelle in Washington state. I live in New York now, but wouldn't flog any of the local vintages above these others.

Champagne? La Grande Dame sil vous plait, but a dry proseco will do in a pinch.

GoBackpacking

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 11th, 2009
My two favorite of the two of I've visited in my life! Both offered beautiful scenery and great places to learn about and taste the wines. Yum.

Stellenbosch, near Cape Town, South Africa - a full day wine tour was my first activity, the morning after I arrived on the continent!

St Emilion region, near Bordeaux, France

moniak

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 16th, 2009
What's the difference?
There've been not so many that I've visted. One in western Australia, another one in North Carolina (the wine was awful but sold with a great pride), Portugal and in Chile. They all look the same. I rarely look at the vines, just pop into the local shop and taste a few glasses, and then buy a bottle or two. Not a bargain, and not the best wine.
I can buy, or order, any bottle of wine, from whichever part of the world, in my local store. Usually better quality and price than from a winery.
So, what's the deal?

Clarissajohanson

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2009
My favourite is Puglia , Italy and also Aconcagua in Chile

You always get the best value for money there, I can recommend them

http://www.naymz.com/elisabeth_wine_2977933

patricia23

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 28th, 2010
Also Australia have good wine industry, it is the fourth-largest exporter in the world.

Jully

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2010
I don't drink wine too much but favorite wine region is Spain. So much different tastes.

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 16th, 2010
Isle 12 at Big Lots!

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 19th, 2010
Stellenbosch in South Africa was pretty awesome. Though the backpacker tour messed me up more than a bit- you don't spit out and we had 26 samples and a glass at lunch! Or I think that's about what it was, I was messed up a bit to the point of falling asleep on the way back to the hostel and promptly crashing until the next morning. ;) Plus it turns out pinotage is one of my favoritest wines ever, and only comes from this region of the world!

My favorite region though, has to be the Tokay region in Eastern Hungary (further than Eger by an hour or two depending how you drive it) because that's where my family is from and my uncle still takes care of a small vineyard. And it's a sweet desert wine, dubbed "The Wine of Kings" and so good that I don't drink any other white wine voluntarily. :D Write-up on my last trip- http://whereisyvette.wordpress.com/2009 ... ji-region/

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2010
Tortuga_traveller wrote:The Duero region in Spain.

Where else can you get table wines for the price of beer with the flavor of a 30 dollar bottle of wine in the USA?

Portugal, and anywhere they sell cheap port.

Good one. I'll go with Rias Baixas, or Galicia more generally, with Portugal a second. They are probably the most underrated, underpriced regions in the world.

Paul79UF

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 22nd, 2010
My fav is Mendoza in Argentina.

Half my family is from Argentina, so I spent some time there with my girl and again later with my dad & bro.

I really enjoy the tasty (and cheap) Malbec red wines from Mendoza.

Fifey

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2010
Coonawarra, South Australia.

They pay most of my jobs. :D

Ksiu

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2011
When we visited Crimea, we bought wine 'The black colonel'. It was so tasty for me. I also like Georgian wine.

Qwovadis

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2011
www.beaune.com

Capital of ancient Bugundy best cellars

tasting beauty history culture.

I have been to.

Happy Hunting,

Ksiu

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2011
I know Tamada has the very good taste as for me. It is a kind of Georgian wine.

Previous

Return to Food & Travel