What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Favorite wine region?

buddsabroad

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Tags: wine, favorites
  • Added on: April 25th, 2008
Not that I haven't been known to down a bottle of red on occasion, but I'm simple. So, this inquiry is for my wife, as her palette is a bit more, how do you say... refined than mine.

What's your favorite wine region - be it you've visited in person or maybe just know what's on the label - from around the world?

We're from Oregon, so our in-person experience has been limited to the Willamette Valley in norther Oregon and the Napa Valley in California. We're taking off for our RTW in October and the Marlborough Region in NZ (Courtney's FAVORITE!!) is on the itinerary to hit within the first few weeks.

Why do I see the next year of travel being centered around wine tasting...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Getting Ready...

http://www.buddsabroad.com

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2008
If I ever go on a wine tour, it'll be to the Eger region of Hungary. It's an amazing country and Egri Bikavert is probably my favorite wine.

From what I've tasted from the cheap import section of the local liquor store, I'd bet there would be some good wine touring in Romania and Croatia as well.

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2008
My absolute favorite wine region is the Loire Valley in France. There you can sample wines in fancy vineyards and in the backyard sheds of smaller vintners. Plus, they have some fantastic sweet wines that make summer, dessert, ok, any old time, lovely. Of those, try Coteaux du Layon and Muscadet.

Last summer, I spent some time in the Okanagan Valley in BC, and had a great time going from winery to winery. Summerhill Winery, among others, makes ice wine, which is a sweet white. It is pricey but worth the cost for the experience.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a whole slew of wineries in Kansas, of all places. While you'll have to make up your own mind about that, I liked the novelty of elderberry wines. I had never even heard of this yet alone tasted it until I drove through Kansas.

Callilucy

Waitin' For The Lentil Loaf

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 27th, 2008
May I suggest you check out 1000 wines- the tale of to BNA members RTW wine centric trip. Currently, Bri is working at a vineyard in NZ, pretty cool stuff.

Edit: and they are originally from OR
I don't want to be fearless, I want to be brave.

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 27th, 2008
I've become very fond of Swiss wines over the past few years. Great stuff. Specifically, anything from Ticino, Vallis or Vaud. (Note: screw caps have no stigma here.) Zurich wines? Yuck. Duck
"No. I was talking about the hooker in Reno" -- BostonBill @ the BOOTCOM10 Hostel

Anna_ET

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 28th, 2008
Fogo in Cape Verde.

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2008
I very much enjoyed living and working in Marlboro, NZ.

But my favorite is my college town of Walla Walla, WA. Great big bold reds. But not quite as loud as Australian reds.

Rhineland, Germany was beautiful too. Gorgeous in springtime with green hills, flowers, and old castles to sleep in. If you like white wines, that is...

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 29th, 2008
I've done several winery tours in Oz and tasted many wines and out of them all I'd say the "Barossa" is my favourite region. I love shiraz - a good full-bodied wine, peppery with strong overtones of berry. Wolf Blass did a beauty - the "Holy Trinity" which is from Grenache-Shiraz-Mourvedre vines. But like all wines, some years are better than others.

Their grey label Shiraz about $40 is a real treat. I recently scored just about the last remaining bottle of Whitchmount's 2004 Shiraz - it took out first prize at the Syrah du Monde. I've given my family fair warning it's all mine. LOL

Fortified wines are another of my passions, usually liqueur ports /some day I'd love to vist the vineyards of France.

EDIT: Net dropped out - So I'd love to visit the French vineyards - Bordeaux, Champagne, Languedoc-Roussillon. I've had some very good French reds and some not so good.

Don't drink whites much - give me white wine and I'm anybody's - nah it's the Reds, I've graduated to almost a full bottle and can still remain upright -woozy but upright.

But French champagne? Bollinger I reckon is my fav but Moet?Uh uh. Trinque
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

JassBall

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 15th, 2008
I love German wine and california wine, so regions anywhere in there are great

Aliantraveler

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 17th, 2008
In my no doubt biased opinion, Melbourne Australia is the best city in the world for convenient and excellent wine regions to tour. There are 22 areas within a few hours drive, and each area is known for particular variety or two. Yarra Valley is probably the most well known but Rutherglen, Pyrenees and Macedon Ranges are fantastic places to tour. If you go to wineries around Glenrowan you can also see where the Kelly gang met its demise. My particular favorite is the pinot noirs from the Mornington Peninsula. I have never tasted a better pinot that a Montalto!

The Victorian tourist office (visitvictoria.com) has a fabulous brochure (a glossy book really) that we use as a bible but sadly they don’t mail it overseas. However, check out their web site for ideas on structuring a trip.

I also agree with the thumbs up to the Barossa and recommend Mclaren Vale near Adelaide.

Finally, compared to Napa/Sonoma or major US regions, even the most renowned wineries are MUCH more relaxed and friendly. I’ve been to a couple where you literally let yourself in to the tasting room and have a try. They are rarely crowded and the staff is always knowledgeable and happy to have a chat. If you are a newbie they make you feel very comfortable. Unlike most in the US tastings are free, although some ask for a dollar or two if you don’t buy a bottle. But I’ve never had a problem in that category ….

Gardkarlsen

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 22nd, 2008
Hi

Well, I can recommend a trip to Tuscany to taste some wine :-) My wife and I went there last year and we had some great meals with great wine on the side. Check out my trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/tuscany_italy_travelogue.htm

Another place that is great is the Cape Town area in South Africa. You get a lot for your money and you can check out beautiful Cape Town while you are in the area :-) We went there in March and it is beautiful. Check out my trip report with pictures on http://gardkarlsen.com/Cape_Town_trip_report.htm
Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

monshum

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 12th, 2008
I'm not a red wine drinker so I can only tell my favourite in white...

(I'm from Hungary however I do not drink red wine therefore don't drink Egri Bikaver but I've heard foreign people love this wine..)

My absolute favourite is Oyster Bay Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc NZ!!!! I have no favourite in other countries' wine but wines from Australia and South Africa is also excellent!!!

Jhonthompson

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 25th, 2009
well i love red wine...and my fav. wine region is Russia and Australia. Russia is really great for wine....you must try it once!
I love to travel and I REALLY know South America. If you visit Valle Nevado Chile, contact me.

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2009
Malbec from Argentina is simply divine! I'd never come across it before my trip there and now it is a fabulous treat when I can find it in the UK
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2009
The Duero region in Spain.

Where else can you get table wines for the price of beer with the flavor of a 30 dollar bottle of wine in the USA?

Portugal, and anywhere they sell cheap port.

Next

Return to Food & Travel