Life and times of the Caribbean/West Indies. Shake your sarong, drink some coconut juice and figure out the best way to hop from one isle to the next.

Favourite island and why

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 27th, 2010
I've read all the islands people have visited but what makes a great island to visit and can I have you favourite islands and towns.
Jean

jessus

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 27th, 2010
St Martin/Sint Maarten. Half French, Half Dutch, all Caribbean. Beautiful, varied beaches; interesting towns (my favourite is Grand Case); interesting culture; good food. Plus the shopping mecca of Philipsburg if that's what you're into (big on the jewellery! Unfortunately it's also where the cruise ships dock, so try to get it on a good day).

richard121

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 28th, 2010
My favorite Caribbean Island is St. Barts. It's one of a kind exclusive island, about 10 minutes flight from St. Martin. The thing that makes it exclusive is its cleanliness and its away from the hustle bustle of people. It is mostly frequently visited by elite and famous personalities and is most expensive of all the Caribbean Islands.

nightndawn

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 31st, 2010
Each island has its unique charm. Jamaica - beaches and food. Antigua - Beaches. Trinidad & Tobago - Beaches, music and Food.

English speaking islands tends to be more expensive than spanish speaking ones like Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 15th, 2010
Favorite island would be Cuba & town Baracoa, calls for independent travel to get there so keeps the tourons away, second town would be Trinadad with lots of history & only 2 AI resorts 1/2 hr out of town.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

doctorpatrick

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2010
Totally agree with Richard121 re St. Barts and Jessus about St. Martin. If you're going to the island paradise of St. Barts take plenty of $$$ though. Nothing is cheap. St. Martin is more affordable and I love Grand Case too! Great eateries. However it got the stuffing kicked out with a series of hurricanes and you might want to check out Orient Beach. But, then again, a totally a nude beach might not be your forte. Really, you can't go wrong either way!

Dr. P.

Fluffy_bunny

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2010
I prefer small and simple. Or bizarrely exotic. I quite like the Belize island of Caye Caulker. A simple place where you learn most of the locals names within the first few days.

A little further afield, the Yemeni island of Socotra is the "galapagos of the Indian Ocean". But there are very few tourists. (it is Yemen after all ;) )
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

ManualDSLRProject

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 22nd, 2011
I love them all (that I've been to anyway), but would suggest the following depending on what I want to do:
St. John is very quiet and uncrowded if you just want to connect to nature, enjoy the beach, and see beautiful sights wherever you turn.

St. Thomas has great beaches but is more crowded and "Americanized". If you want night life or shopping, this is a good choice.

St. Martin also has great beaches, great shopping, and very cool culture.

I've spent less time on Tortola, but it is beautiful also.

All told, though, I would have to pick St. John as my favorite since I enjoy getting away and enjoying the beauty of the island.

Best...
Mike
www.manualDSLR.com

Return to Caribbean/West Indies Travel