Ask Bali fans for recommendations on everything from places to stay to top attractions to the best dentists. Learn about getting married in Bali, how to travel elsewhere in Indonesia and anything else about this island paradise.

Ferries & other transportation from Bali to Australia?

Sohniye

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 1st, 2007
Hi Guys,

Ok...after nearly passing out over how expensive it is fly from Jakarta to Sydney (700.00$--what for a two hour flight?!) a friend in Perth suggested that I take a ferry to Australia from Bali. Have any of you done this? How much did it cost? I see that flights too are far more reasonable about 3-400.00 from Bali to Sydney or Perth.

Cheers,

Samantha***
http://www.myspace.com/samanthasosohniye

Nick

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 1st, 2007
Jakarta to Sydney is considerably longer flight than 2 hours. Bali - Perth is about 4 hours and Bali - Sydney around 8 hours.

There are no regular ferry services between Indonesia and Australia. If you are adventurous and have the time, you might consider going overland from Jakarta to Timor, then flying out to Darwin.

On that trip you'll get plenty of experience with Indonesian ferries, though the you might be advised to arrange a 2 month Tourist Visa before you get here.

baliaustralia08

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 20th, 2007
Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip to Denpasar for wedding end of May. From there my bf and I wanted to visit Australia. We are both on a very tight budget, and would like to know the cheapest way to get there. Which airlines operate between these two places? From what I have read, flying into Perth would be the cheapest. Is this correct?

Any type of suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
pp

michael heckendorf

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 9th, 2007
Jetstar or garuda are two carriers that fly direct.
Jetstar has a good website, Garuda is best to book via a travel agent.

MH

Groo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 9th, 2007
Or Merpati to Darwin then Virgin or Jetstar (or Tiger?) to wherever else you wish to go in Australia.
When I was last in Bali I was told the the West Australian airline (Skywest ?) were doing Perth to Denpassar (customs and immigration formalities at Broome) at very reasonable rates. Sounds good if you want to visit the West, and a stopover in Broome would be excellent.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2007
There are no ferries between Australia and Indo. Your cheapest bet is a flight from Darwin to Kupang, West Timor. From there, it's an arduous trip across Nusa Tenggara to Bali that will take you several days. From Timor, you'll hit Flores, then Sumbawa, then Lombok, and finally Bali. If you're lucky, you may catch a Pelni boat directly to Bali from Timor (not sure if that's actually a route), and then you'll never want to see a ferry again.

kiwikyles

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2010
There are no cargo boats that will get you from Indonesia (or Timor Leste) to Australia.

Perkins is the only cargo ship that operates between the two countries and they haven't taken passengers / supernumaries in over 10 years now. It is all to with the Australian Maritime Union which is very powerful :?

Return to Bali Travel Forum