Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

Film Rationing

Rob Strong

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 16th, 2002
I'm planning a lengthy (6 month) Round-The-World trip. I've already decided to bring my Canon AE-1 SLR, and to take b&w negatives as well as color slides. I understand the issues surrounding not x-raying your film too much, but I don't want to get taken to the cleaners every time I step off the plane, buying film anew in every country on the itinerary. What do people recommend for keeping oneself well stocked in the film department while on a long, multi-flight journey?

dwarren

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 8th, 2002
i'm in the same boat so thank you for posing the question. i went to Africa for 3.5 months w/ a Nikon F55 SLR and a FujiFinePix digital and took 20 rolls of film and two 64MB memory cards. although i'm quite pleased w/ my photos, i was frustrated w/ always trying to ration, and deleting pictures that i now wish i had saved.

on the other hand, i think that the reason why some of my pictures came out so good was because i was more conscious of composition, light and significance of the subject matter.

i didn't have problems w/ x-rays because i travelled entirely over land.

good luck and let me know if you come across some helpful advice.

dee

PhotoChick

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 23rd, 2002
Hey. How do you plan to get the film out of the countries rather than in is my question. That was my problem over this past summer in China. The exposed film is much more sensitive than unexposed film and after 8 airports all my images took on a lovely gray grainy quality. frown I thought of getting them developed where ever I was at the time but I am anal and don't trust anyone but my local lab.

PhotoChick
Latest Adventure: Una Moto en Argentina
Check out my RTW blog

Veena

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 1st, 2003
Hi,

Kodak has some advice for protecting film from x-ray scanning. Here's the site.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml#SEC336
In the US, the FAA allows for visual inspection of film but I'm not sure if this is allowed in other countries.

I've also heard that wrapping exposed film in aluminum foil helps a little. I don't know if this is true though.

I decided to go digital but if you do end up using any of the ideas from the website, let us know how it works out.

Good luck!
Veena

Bug

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 31st, 2003
Have you considered simply posting your films home/to a friend, so you can develop them when you get back? Smile

delara

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 31st, 2003
I second the above. Seeing as I shot well over 2 rolls of film/day I found it easier to post a package home once a week (and/or before I got on a plane).

Nick

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 2nd, 2003
Two rolls a day!!! Delara no wonder all your friends in LA have to buy you drinks.

Nick O'Neill
http://www.BaliBlog.com
BootsnAll's guide to Bali

delara

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 3rd, 2003
Hey, they buy me drinks coz I'm cute! Wink

Seriously though, I'm all into photography on the road. Some places are 2 roll worthy (Paris, Venice) and some aren't (Brussells). I spent one roll alone photographing people in Piazza San Marco.

PhotoChick

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2003
Two rolls a day isn't that much!

You have to be careful with posting stuff home because those packages get Xrayed as well. I tried it, and unless you confirm with the shipper how it is inspected, you have the same problems. Some can get around it.

PHotoChick
Latest Adventure: Una Moto en Argentina
Check out my RTW blog

Nikos

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2003
A little tip about film posting. Mark each roll of film you take out of the camera with a number right before putting it in your bag. When you have 10-20 rolls, put the odd numbers in one postbag and the even ones on another. Post the two bags on two different days. This eay, even if something happens to one of the bags and it gets lost on the way you will not have lost all your photos from a long period. By distributing odd and even films, you will have every other roll - if you take a lot of photos, like two rolls a day, you will have at least one roll from each day saved.

Ant

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2003
That's a great idea Nikos - thanks!

Question: Would there be any advantage to developing your film while in-country, then posting home the prints & negs - or if possible, maybe just the negs?

That way you don't have to worry about the film getting ruined. If you also just do the negs, you're also cutting down on weight and cost.
Cheers,

Anthony St. Clair
Writer & Editor / Traveler / Cook / Brewer
http://www.antsaint.com
twitter / antsaint

Nikos

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2003
Well it really depends on how sensitive you are about the resulting quality. For B/W negs forget it, you really need a good developer you can trust. For standard color films, most labs will do an okay job - so if okay is enough for you, then go ahead and develop them locally sending out the negs. But beware of ultra-cheap shops in tourist places, they probably use the chemicals beyond their limits and may screw up your shots. At least try to go to a big, reputable lab in a big city. I usually prefer to send them to a specific shop back home that I know will not ruin my film.

By the way, this practice is not my own idea, I've read somewhere that this is what National Geographic photographers do, and it is common practice for most professionals on long-term engagements.

roobus1

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 15th, 2004
If you are away for 6 months then sending them home could be the best option. Even more so if the countries you are visiting are hot. I am going away for a 12 month trip starting in April and I will be sending films back to my parents for storage until my return - they refused to pay to get them developed :-(

Robin and Matt

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2004
Has anyone had any experience with York photo? I've heard that you can send them your rolls of film (post paid envelopes) and they will develop your film, post the pics on a secure site on the internet and make a digital cd for you. Any thoughts?

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2004
I have used York many times for developing and printing.

Never again.

The prints are always blurry, the negatives are always scratched. Haven't tried their new service using negatives to digital though.

I have used Ofoto many times and I am hooked.

Next

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums