Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

Flickr's upload speed

avu

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 17th, 2008
I recently signed up for a paid account of Flickr and the upload speed is extremely slow (whether through the browser or their desktop's application). I'm not sure if there's an image's size that would optimize the upload speed that I'm not aware of? Does anyone else experience a similar issue with the upload? Sometimes, my uploaded images get removed also.

Thanks guys!

Markus

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 17th, 2008
I've never had any issues with flickr upload speeds. My default flickr export is to constrain to within 1200x900 pixels and the files usually come out under 100kb.

I know some people use flickr to back up their full size images, and I can't imagine that being a pleasant experience. Photos I upload to a stock service (15-60MB .tiff files) can take 30 or more minutes to upload.

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2008
I have had problems with Flickr's current version (3.00 and up) freestanding upload program, but when I de-installed it and re-installed the older version (2.5), everything was fine. The new version keeps gagging on photos and returning overly cutesy error messages with words like "Oh gosh!" Grounds enough for not using it. I think Version 2.5 is still available from the Flickr website, though you may have to hunt for the link.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2008
Yes, I've been having issues with Flickr this week as well. I'm a long time user who's only had trouble before while travelling in slow internet countries. I do upload maximum resolution jpegs (typically 10-15 MB), and it's never been a problem before. Then this week, it started kicking back 2/3 of the files I try to upload. I think their upload system has gotten too fancy and is now messed up as a result.

I'll try to see if I can get an older version of uploadr, maybe that'll fix it.

Mel and Brendan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 18th, 2008
They seem to be doing a lot of work on the site so things keep changing - videos were giving folks problems for a few months, but that seems to have been fixed.

The main reason your uploads are going to be slow will only be your connection speed--like the poster above, I only had problems in countries and places that had slow connections. After 7 months, I saw the speeds go from 10 B/s to 500B/s the day I got home and was in a hotel with a T1 line!

Typically though, I find that 40B/s to 100B/s are normal, which means that a 1meg photo takes a few seconds and a 10 meg a minute.

avu

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 18th, 2008
I just found out that I have internet speed issue with my home internet. I'm going to try again after this weekend. Thanks all for your responses!

zoomcharlieb

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 21st, 2008
Glad to see other people are having problems also. I'm with comcast and supposedly they have an upload speed of 6mps, but if I sign up for their express service, it will maybe double. Trouble is, I think they are slowing down my speed cause it doesn't take just 1 or 2 seconds for a 15 mb file but more like 20 to 40 seconds. I was going to call them up and ask them qhat gives, cause fust coincidentally, after upoalding some files this am, I get a notice from them telling me what their normal usuage policy is, which I'm so far from violtating it's not funny, but anyway, my 13 year old says her friends think comcast slows things down on people or regions selectively, so what i think they do is slow your service way down, then send you a message advertising their speedy service, which, cause we're all in a rush, we sign up for, then we get faster service for awhile, and guess what, i bet they have a higher rung for more mullah - ya thuink?

charlie

will report back after conversing with comcast

uspn

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 26th, 2008
Since no one has mentioned it yet, I thought I'd just suggest that if any of you are having problems and you're on a wireless network at home, you might want to make sure that your Internet routers are password protected. If not, there's a chance that some of your neighbours are enjoying your broadband access more than you do. #8D) If others use your access point, that means less transfer capacity for you.

I use Flickr 3.0.5, and it works fine.

Bjørn
http://bjornfree.com/

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

I have a cable modem, but find that Flickr's "basic uploader" will work for me.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

quote:
Trouble is, I think they are slowing down my speed cause it doesn't take just 1 or 2 seconds for a 15 mb file but more like 20 to 40 seconds.
Not exactly a problem. You're a victim of the marketing department.

6Mbps vs 6MBps.
bits vs bytes.

Marketing always wants to advertise big numbers for speed, so they tell you they offer 6 megabits per second upload. But there's 8bits in every byte, so you actually only have an ideal upload spead of about 750kB/s.

It's extraordinarily unusual to get any one item up to the ideal speed of your connection - usually you'll get somewhere around 1/3-2/3. The only way to take maximum advantage of your connection is to have several things running with different websites - this has something to do with latency, which was a little outside of what we covered in tech support school. Uploading to your ISP's computer should also approach your theoretical speed, but how often do you want to do that?

So likely a single upload will run around 250-500 kB/s, which means that 10MB will take about 20-40 seconds.

----

My problems with flickr uploading have changed, and my PC is no longer having trouble, but Kathy's Mac still is, even when we switch to a wired connection. Which, it turns out, is still kind of annoying.

mindjump

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 10th, 2013
You must first ensure whether the problem is with Flickr or with your connection. Check your internet speed from http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ . If the upload speed is drastically below than average make a complaint to your ISP. Because Flickr is used by people world wide and such complaints are rare.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 20th, 2013
mindjump wrote:You must first ensure whether the problem is with Flickr or with your connection. Check your internet speed from http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ . If the upload speed is drastically below than average make a complaint to your ISP. Because Flickr is used by people world wide and such complaints are rare.

Flckr sucks :!: :!: :!:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums