Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

Flickr--when peopel ask to use your photos

Sharronm

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 22nd, 2008
Here's the background. I've had a few people contact me about using pictures from my Flickr site. One was a non-profit for New Orleans group that put out a free brochure on the city. They wanted one of the hotel pictures. Since it's a free brochure and for New Orleans, I asked for attribution but no $$.

Now, I have a (small time--NOT big time) documentary person asking to use two pictures. Generally, as long as I get attribution, I am fine with people using it. Am I being gullible?
Sharron

The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions. Ellen Glasgow

travel blog and more!

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 22nd, 2008
It's totally your call. I allow my photos to be used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license. Since I don't have any intention of making money off my photos, at least until I learn to make better ones, I'm not really bothered by it.

But they're yours. If you think they're worth something, ask for something.

uspn

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2008
Unless I get the feeling that whoever asks to use my photos will use them to make a lot of money, I let them do so for free. Also, unless I know my photo is incredibly good and special, which it seldom is, I'm happy to just be credited. Coming into a restaurant and see a photo of mine on the wall, or to see my animal portraits having been chosen to illustrate a creature on Wikipedia is most satisfying!

Bjørn
http://bjornfree.com/

Paul79UF

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 15th, 2008
You could ask them to link to your blog on their site, or just mention the URL in their publication.

At least then you might make some Amazon.com book sales.

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums