Too often lumped in with North America, Mexico is a country that stands out on its own.

Flight layover in Mexico City, what to do

Porifera

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 8th, 2011
Ok so I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica in May. Looking into flights now and I'm finding some really good deals if I buy tickets with a pretty long layover in Mexico City, anywhere from 4 to 7 hours. I don't really know much about Mexico City, is there anything that anyone would recommend doing close to the airport to pass the time, or is it busy enough that it would be risky to leave and I would have to hang in the airport all all day.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Mexico City's airport is within the city limits, and not terribly far from a lot of sights. Four hours is not enough time to leave though, as Mexico City traffic can be horrendous. With seven hours, you can take a prepaid taxi (get a voucher at one of the booths one the way out of the terminal - do NOT take one of the taxis in front of the terminal if you don't a) speak Spanish, and b) know your way around Mexico City). If it's your first time and it's daylight, leave everything valuable in the airport, and go to Zocalo in Centro Historico, which is the nerve center of one of the world's largest cities. You'll have a couple-few hours to walk around, before heading back. Note: do not hail a taxi off the street. Sitios (radio taxis) are a bit more expensive, but safer than hailing one on the street.

Mexico City has a really bad reputation, but isn't as bad as you'll probably hear. Architecture in the center is spectacular, and it's one of the world's best cities for eating.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

Felix is correct. Four hours.....no. Seven hours, yes.

Porifera

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Thank you again Felix
Good information, I'll keep that in mind

Return to Mexico Travel