Life and times of the Caribbean/West Indies. Shake your sarong, drink some coconut juice and figure out the best way to hop from one isle to the next.

Flying from Cuba to Mexico... do direct flights exist?!

Suzzy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: cuba, mexico, rtw, flights
  • Added on: March 3rd, 2009
Hiya,
planning my RTW trip and am hoping to make my first stop Cuba. So I want to fly from the UK to Cuba, spend a little under 2 months there (I know the visa only lasts 30 days but you can renew for another 30 when you get there) and then move on to Mexico, before overlanding through Costa Rica etc etc.
Easy, right? Wrong. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but i can't seem to find a RTW ticket that will fly me to Cuba and then onto Mexico... unless I go via Chile or Brazil (I want to go to both places but have a different route in mind, to fit in with things I want to see throughout the year). I've checked with the Cuban consulate that for entry to the country they would accept an onward ticket to anywhere, rather than just a return or RTW, and that's fine, but i can't find anyone who flies Cuba - Mexico direct. And tbh, it's proving pretty difficult finding UK-Cuba flights that don't involve having to stay in a package hotel!
If anyone's got any tips, I'd be hugely grateful - I need to make a start with my planning but this is a big hurdel to hit first!:)
Suz

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 3rd, 2009
I don't know why you're having trouble. Try Mexicana or Aerocaribe, among others. (I don't know how they work within a RTW ticket, but there are definitely daily flights between Havana and Mexico City, and Cancun.)

Or google "Havana to Mexico City flights" and you'll get tons of info.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 8th, 2009
Post is a month old so probably too late but the US embargo is the problem with the RTW. Iwould suggest leave Cuba off your RTW itinerary just book London to Cancun then book Cancun to Havana return seperately then contine the RTW saves a lot of hassel.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2009
The US embargo is probably the sticking point. There's a daily flight out of Havana to Cancun on Cubana (I think Aerocaribe does it too), and several a week to Mexico City and Merida.

Return to Caribbean/West Indies Travel