Offers insights on how to find an accessible room and suggest air travel tips for wheelers and slow walkers. Dish info on the best airline bathrooms and the hassle-free ways to deal with airport security.

Flying with a bad back

MsLibrarian

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 4th, 2010
Ever since I put my back out (again) on a vacation in British Columbia last November, I've been working to get it better for my european trip this spring. Now, with only a few weeks to go, I'm starting to see some real progress. But I do have a few worries, one is travelling with my heating pad.

This thing makes a world of difference and having it on the plane would be a big help. But I've been told that I probably wouldn't be able to take it onboard with me in my carry on and I would definitly not be allowed to plug it in. Anyone have any experience with that? Suggestions?

Thanks.

minerguy

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2010
These work like those ski handwarmers except are built into a strap for your back. You can find them at Walgreens, Target, etc. I used them a few times when my back was out with good results and they do stay warm for a while. I don't see a problem with having a regular warmer in your carry on, what's the difference between that and a laptop? You may find a place to plug it in at the terminal, but doubt you will on the plane.
Traveling by motorcycle to Alaska and beyond at BikeandBoots.com
Come along for the ride!

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 5th, 2010
This may seem like an advertisement, but here is a heads-up.

If your back issues involve muscle spasms and cramps, as opposed to nerve issues, there is a miracle drug I will never travel without again. It's called Flexoril. Your doctor can prescribe it. It's a chiropractor in a pill. The main side-effect seems to be that 3-4 hours after you take it, you WILL fall into a dead sleep. I'm told that with constant use this tapers off, but thank goodness I've only needed it a few times. No driving, operating of machinery, anything requiring serious attention should be attempted after taking it. It takes a few hours to kick in, but when it does, its like a sleeping pill. Oh, BTW, its not addictive, and its not pleasurable in the least, unless you count its ability to get rid of muscle spasms that usually only a chiropractor can cure. It may take a few applications. Took 2 days worth one time.

MsLibrarian

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 6th, 2010
Thanks for the heads up.

My back pain isn't constant, but my physiotherapist told me to apply heat at least once a day to encourage healing in the area that's injured. I'm now wondering about taking a hot water bottle. I will likely have an easier time with that than the heating pad.

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 6th, 2010
I use a cherry pit pillow. It's small and efficient, but you need a microwave oven to heat it.
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

Return to Travel with Disabilities