Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

Foot swelling

Libby

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 1st, 2005
My foot problems continue. Frown The doctor, the physiotherapist and the pediatrist don't know why my right foot continues to swell but they say it might be something I'll just have to learn to live with.

Anyone here have swollen feet? Confused

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Yes. And I have never found anything to help with it. I spend a fortune on getting the right shoes and that helps some with the comfort.

Libby

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

Really? I always buy good footwear, but that doesn't seem to really help. Compression stockings do somewhat.

My foot feels like it's stiff all the time. I think it's arthritis.

How much swelling do you seem to get?

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

It's my right foot and it gets HUGE. I end up with a giant lump on the end of my leg. Depending on you perspective, it's either funny or gross.

For me, the shoes don't help with the swelling, but with the pain. There's nothing I can to prevent it. Walking every day helps though.

Libby

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

Oh, I'm sooo glad to hear this! I haven't been walking and I realy, really miss it. I went for a short one last night and my foot felt better immediatly. It still felt stiff, but not as bad as before.

I think I'm just dealing with arthritis. Did they ever figure out your source?

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I had to have my legs rebuilt, all kinds of screws and stuff. Some of the problems are just that they can't redo the joints perfectly. After on of the surgeries, arthritis spread quickly though my joints. It sounds a lot worse than it is.

For me, moving around and the most comfortable shoes I can get help a lot. The worst part is getting started. But if you push yourself, you can maintain flexibility and range of motion.

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by my2thhurts:
I had to have my legs rebuilt, all kinds of screws and stuff. Some of the problems are just that they can't redo the joints perfectly. After on of the surgeries, arthritis spread quickly though my joints. It sounds a lot worse than it is.

For me, moving around and the most comfortable shoes I can get, help a lot. The worst part is getting started. But if you push yourself, you can maintain flexibility and range of motion.

Libby

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

OUch! That sounds horrible. Frown

But I think you are right. Moving is the best.

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

The adventures of travel! It's definitly my biggest souvenir.

jedimasterbooboo

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 8th, 2005
I just got back from China, in fact I haven't slept in a couple of days, I should be sleeping. Anyway, almost the whole time I was there, a month, my feet swelled up like balloons. Even tho I'm back in California, they are still big painful waterballoon stumps at the end of legs. This has never happened to me before.

I hope the swelling goes away by tomorrow.My feet should realize that this is California and not humid China. I came to this board to start a thread, but there already is one.
'You're in the Matrix, Charlie Brown.'
------------------------------
Fascinating, original, hilarious. These are not words that describe my blog

Urban Kitten

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 15th, 2005
I feel so awful for all of you! Libby, your condition sounds unbearable. Have you tried the arthritis cream made by Tiger Balm? - it comes in a pump bottle.
I had foot surgery in June (2 huge bunions on both feet) and am travelling in 6 weeks to Morocco. They are healing very well but I'm far from 100%. I'm petrified that they'll get infected or something overseas. Man, it's amazing how so many of us take our feet for granted.
www.gatita.gringa.blogspot.com

Little J

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2011
I know I am necroposting, but I wanted to solicit advice from anyone who has experienced foot swelling (edema?) as a result of walking a lot while on vacation.

I was breaking in a new pair of rather stiff shoes in an urban environment and probably traumatized my tootsies, but now I'm stuck with two large hobbit feet at the end of my legs. Even my ankles have disappeared. This has never happened to me before. Any advice on how to make the foot swelling go down as quickly as possible?

Do I stay off of them or continue to use them for range of motion?
Do I soak them?
Should I try to compress them or should I wear my flip-flops for least constriction possible?
Is there any oral medication I can/should be taking to help?

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2011
The only way to get them down is to elevate them.

I fell asleep flying to Rome - so consequently didn't move for the entire flight. When we landed my feet and ankles were MASSIVE. They were so massive that they stretched my Mary-Jane crocs and I couldn't wear them after they shrunk. I was freaking out that I had bilateral DVT's!

I still walked around and did the tourist thing albeit slower, any chance I got to put my fet up I took it. At night, I had my feet elevated so high that my knees were almost at a 90 degree angle. If only I had a diuretic, it would have cleared up so much quicker.

Those with swelling - you don't have any heart problems lol?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2011
Mine only swell after a couple days of sitting around not walking or wearing shoes & only in the tropics.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Return to Health and Travel