A place for geezers, grey hairs, and oldies to discuss independent travel. Reminisce about travel in the days before Lonely Planet and discuss issues applicable to the mature traveller.

(For retired folks) What do you do to occupy your time when not traveling?

Groo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 8th, 2008
I don't know how I ever found time to work. Before retiring I was counselled that I may feel lost, without purpose or direction. They had to be kidding! As someone who taught history for 38 years I now have time to read, consider and write about History. We're bringing the couple of properties that we have back to their original condition and babysitting a two year old grand daughter a couple of days a week, but the greatest benefit is that we can travel whenever we like. If an airline deal comes up we can grab it without having to worry about vacation times and work schedules - hence the two $14 air tickets to Cambodia earlier this year. If we feel a need to take off camping or to see friends we can do it at the drop of a hat.
I am from time to time back in my old workplace. People tell me that they have never seen me smile so much in that environment.
I don't know why I ever bothered working in the first place.

Salmonarmor

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2008
Retired for 27 years and have yet to get bored. We dance, garden, hike, climb, take and print pictures for family occasions, competitions and, mostly, of our travels. If you have an imagination you needn't worry about finding something to do. There is a big world to explore whether in your own back yard or overseas.

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 24th, 2008
I retired December 2006, husband retired April 2007, moved house Feb 2007 did a bit of work on the house until we left for our 12 month around the world trip. We are back now, arranging for tradesmen to do jobs in the house, purchasing for bathroom change and various other things. We have joined the local luncheon group, meal and a chat. Hubby to join bowling club.
I'm very interested in Family history so intend continuing with my research when the house is finished (I like DIY and decorating). Intend joining the local archiology group, computer club, may be WI. I have an eye on probably a cooking course at one of the night classes, oh yes ceroc dancing and I love windsurfing and also intend inproving my sailing if I can find someone to take me on as crew. We have many friends so I'll be having people to stay, going to the pub and eating out is definately on the list. I'm quite interested in gardening and am at present redesigning the garden. Not forgetting our son and daughter who will also be visiting with their other halfs so plenty of cooking.Keeping in touch with all the friends I've made in my working life and in our travels and anything else that comes along that takes my interest. Can't see we'll have much time on our hands. Started working in 1959 was 62 yrs old when I finished so I think I've done my bit.I just so love my retirement.
Jean

Llessur

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 3rd, 2009
It is great to read the great and ambitious variety of activities people engage in during their “retirement” years. This is where I personally have found myself on a much different kind of track and life-view. Have been working and living involved in productive activity since an early age, growing up on a Midwest farm. I really never did categorize or perceive work or leisure as very distinct areas of my life…so I do not and have not approached a great variety of jobs in my life as pure work…and I have not looked at my “leisure” activities as completely recreational, extra, or separated. For me it has almost all been a very integrated experience…I don’t get very tired of jobs that may be considered a grind (more of a challenge I guess). I get a lot of satisfaction out of being productive, and find that I am much more content with being a participant (even on a very amateur level) than a spectator of almost any kind of activity. There are exceptions…I do very much like listening and seeing a great symphonic orchestra play, and regard my feeble attempts at the violin as just a part of music appreciation by the huge contrast. In many ways, retirement, in the classic sense, is not much a part of my vocabulary as applied to myself. And in terms a most of the world, retirement, is really a distant kind of unapproachable dream.
Before I “retired” from my most recent profession (R.N. in a large acute care teaching and transplant hospital) I was involved in a great diversity of work. Farming, hospital laboratory technical work, research labs in the fields of virology, heart research, biochemistry, and microbiology, ranch work, construction, logging, commercial fishing, registered nurse, medical device research and development in a company I helped to found, and a number of short-term jobs as a youngster growing up in the Midwest…like grocery store clerking, landscaping, painting, night watchman, etc.
During those years I lived on the East coast, the West Coast and several regions in-between. I enjoyed a lot of backpacking, mountaineering, was an assistant guide in hunting camps in Alaska, traveled the world, learned some musical instruments, some languages, played chess, read the classics, history, and philosophy, and learned what I could about various styles of cooking from French Provincial, to some ethnic Chinese cuisine in south China. Most of the time I regard “work” not as all work, or boring, or drudgery, and I regard leisure as something to offer new learning, productivity and enrichment that reflects back upon various work projects. My approach to travel has always been to explore, to learn, and if possible to contribute to the cultures in which I found myself. As a young man I did mostly backpacking style of travel in the US, Europe, Mexico…staying in hostels, monasteries, barns, families homes, and I worked some along the way…later when I did afford travel closer to 1st class, I would occasionally stay at an interesting older hotel or inn, but still spend a lot of nights in a jungle hammock, a campground, or other modest accommodation. I usually prefer to make most of my own meals and shop the local markets…I like to eat occasional street vender food, and sometimes will seek out an interesting restaurant. I don’t like tours, unless there is not another reasonable alternative to see a particular place. I love to make friends everywhere I travel and have a long list of lifetime friends who I have continued to visit and who visit me.
I turned 70 last month…I am still building on a large shop I started three years ago, I spend some time cutting firewood and brush, taking care of repairs on a rental property, spending a week at a time backpacking in the nearby wilderness, spending some of the winter working on the medical device projects which involve some microbiological testing, and sharing music, food, and work projects with friends. I don’t expect to stop or slow down very much on my “work”…I am methodical and deliberate and all of this activity is part of my personal “health insurance”…I regard the world as an incredible and beautiful and dangerous place…I don’t feel entitled to anything…I am not attached to anything…although I like tools…my financial portfolio puts me in the poverty class, but I feel very rich…I don’t want anything…only more experiences

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 15th, 2010
Three and a half years into retirement, back from a trip in March 2010.
I help at the Mother & Toddler group one morning a week.
Go to the gym 3 times a week trying to keep the old bones and heart strong.
Every other week travel to mother-in-law to do shopping and spend some time with her, staying overnight.
Help out at the local sailing club with special needs clients one full day a week
Help out with disability sailors one full day a week.
Learning to sail every other Saturday and crewing to get experience when I can.
Have an interest in family history when I have the time do research.
Help out as and when at the luncheon club for the elderly.
Gardening once a week, try to get 3 hours in at least otherwise it gets out of hand.
Try to get out walking once/twice a week.
Planning a 3 month trip starting October, I'm always planning some trip or other, still plenty of countries and cities on the list.
Visit family (not local) and friends and have people to stay.

and of course slotted into this is shopping, cleaning, washing clothes,diy, computer work.
Keep in touch with friends via the Internet and Skype.
I enjoy watching TV in the evening, going out for a meal/cinema/play/dancing.
I have a busy full life.
Jean

John_M_C

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 25th, 2010
I am semi-retired, meaning I am over 67, can stop working any time I want, but am still having too much fun. My vacation vacations are to the US to visit my children. My jobs are usually out-of-country and I often combine them with 5-10 days of leisure, bringing along my wife.

During these periods, we sit on beaches and I swim. We just walk around, a lot, without maps following our instincts, stopping for long periods to have a coffee or eat. We'll often rent a car and visit a whole region of a country, especially in Europe. (I am based in Copenhagen).

While working away from home, my wife is never at a loss for things to do, nor am I.

Mac

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Have`been traveling most of the 2 yrs since retiring. Just returned from an RTW a few days ago & have started the process of relocating my home base from Canada to El Salvador where I plan on getting some experience on my TEFL certificate, that I earned while taking a break in Bangkok. :D

After a year or so the plan is to travel with long stops, in countries I desire to see more of, to teach a while. Can always return to El Salvador when I need a break from traveling & do some private teaching to keep busy. :tup:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:After a year or so the plan is to travel with long stops, in countries I desire to see more of, to teach a while. Can always return to El Salvador when I need a break from traveling & do some private teaching to keep busy.

busman7,
I am very interested in your hearing from you as you travel and teach. I'm looking at that as possibly the next stage of my life, after I leave my current job in 3 years or so. I've always loved teaching in a corporate environment so I think I would really enjoy international teaching of English (or whatever). Please write of your experiences in this area on the boards (wherever and wherever you feel is right). I am so interested in how it will work out for you.
Yours truly,
Kathryn

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 26th, 2010
KathrynD wrote:
busman7 wrote:After a year or so the plan is to travel with long stops, in countries I desire to see more of, to teach a while. Can always return to El Salvador when I need a break from traveling & do some private teaching to keep busy.

busman7,
I am very interested in your hearing from you as you travel and teach. I'm looking at that as possibly the next stage of my life, after I leave my current job in 3 years or so. I've always loved teaching in a corporate environment so I think I would really enjoy international teaching of English (or whatever). Please write of your experiences in this area on the boards (wherever and wherever you feel is right). I am so interested in how it will work out for you.
Yours truly,
Kathryn

I intend to keep updating my blog; http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 as I move, settle in & start to teach.

Should mention that I had planned to return to Thailand to teach for a year but my mothers deteriorating health made that not a very good option so decided to move to El Salvador instead & move her down also for the better quality of care at minimal cost.

Should prove to be an interesting experience in a country that I am very fond of. :D
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

AsiaBill

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 9th, 2010
My wife and I are avid readers of books and magazines, take long walks on the beach, brainstorm together about what's NEXT in our life, an investment in real esate, a construction or renovation project in either of our two accommodation locations in Manila and Boracay Island, watch films and my wife has been a news hound since she was a kid and an American Idol dedicated fan, we socialize with our many guests and share the latest gossip or past travel adventures. Now at 56, I'll be doing alot of traveling with and without my wife, at the moment in Dadonghai, Sanya, Hainan Island, China heading for Yangshuo Guangxi province in the next day or two then westward to Kunming to apply for a Myanamar visa before heading for the higher altitudes of Shangri-la.
Feel FREE to ask us questions about living, relocating & traveling in the Philippines; learn more by visiting our website.

Daawgon

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 16th, 2010
Sinbad wrote:I have three incredible and very active dogs at home that keep me busy feeding and playing with them not to mention walking them together. They got jealous and I have to walk them separately at time. In the evening, I workout in a gym to keep fit and healthy ( we need that for traveling, right !). Otherwise, I am behind the PC surfing or doing " research " for my next trip overseas. Enjoy my retirement, have so much time to do what I always wanted to do at my leisure!Happy retirement!

We're about in the same boat, Sinbad! I have only one dog, but a Jack Russell is almost as much work as three other active dogs. I need to exercise more, but since I gave my car to charity, my main exercise is walking, walking, and more walking. I spend entirely too much time in front of this PC screen.

MrPlow42

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 3rd, 2011
I'm 56, retired, not traveling and not at home. Left the states in Nov '08 after selling or giving away just about everything I owned. Have been on the road since then, moving slowly from 'base camp' to 'base camp' while I try to decide what I want to do when I grow up. I'm a computer nerd so what keeps me happy probably won't appeal to most folks.

Typical day at base camp:

Morning ritual is up early, workout, stretch then spend an hour with a cappuccino and conversation.

Next is email and daily blog checks followed by an hour or three of study. I'm leaning both Spanish and a set of web development software tools I never worked with before. I hope to get good enough with the tools to contribute to an open source project.

Big late lunch and then a nap or run errands.

Head to the beach for some shade, a beach chair and a novel. Read a new novel about every 10 days.

Back to the apartment by 4pm to get away from the mosquitoes, then it's web surfing, photo editing, some TV/movie and online chats with my friends who just home from work in a different time zone.

Dinner then to one of the bars where the guys who don't drink much go. We solve the world's problems, watch sports, shoot pool or just hang out.

Photography is the big wild card, shooting at dawn or dusk, putting miles on my motorcycle returning to the same subject enough times to apply what I learned from looking at the last set of images.

Previous

Return to Still Going...