Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

France and Spain itinerary

creekmud

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: france, spain
  • Added on: May 1st, 2014
Here's the itinerary I'm considering for my wife and I for September 4-20 of 2014.

1 : Paris, France - 5 days
2 : Beaune, France - 1 day
3 : Lyon, France - 1 day
4 : Nice, France - 2 days
5 : Arles, France - 1 day
6 : Barcelona, Spain - 3 days
7 : San Sebastián, Gipuzkoa, Spain - 1 day
8 : Bilbao, Biscay, Spain - 2 days

We're considering removing a couple stops because we would rather not have to spend so many days on trains and planes. Any recommendations? I should mention that Paris and Barcelona are my favorite cities, I've spent 5 days in Barcelona with my wife and 2 days in Paris by myself. Barcelona is my wife's favorite city but she's never been to Paris. Neither of us has been to any of the other cities on the list. We'd like to get some beach time in before or after Barcelona. I don't drink wine so I'm thinking of removing Beaune, but we do want a couple smaller towns on the list.

Ddrezner

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 4th, 2014
Heres a hint:

Every four hour bus or plane trip is one full day, once you figure getting to the transport area, travel time, and settling in.

One day stops are seldom very rewarding if you like to do more than brush by a town. The beauty of a town fades when you are in a hurry to see it before you go to bed, in preparation for travel tommorow.

So, make it two day stops, or make the one day stops small places where atmosphere counts more than sights. You are right by Figueoras in Barcelona. The Dali Museum is not to be missed.

I don't know enough about france to comment on Lyons and Nice, but I imagine you might want to cut one of them out and spend that time in the other city. Both are very nice cities from what I hear. They deserve to be seen in some leisure.

Barcelona.. don't miss Parque Guell-0 it's free and amazing! Naturally the Familia Sagrada, and his apartment building. Naturally, you can tell I'm a Gaudi fan!
Tortuga traveller

Elena from Elenas Travelgram

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 23rd, 2014
TGV trains are rather fast (when not striking :), though the tickets are more expensive. So moving around France won't take much time.

A few of my suggestions:
Baune is absolutely charming indeed, you should visit it!

It's still rather hot in early September, so maybe you should stay 4 days in Paris?

Lyon is fantastic. You can see pretty much of the city in one day, at least the whole Vieux Lyon, though the place deserves two days - it's quite big. I wrote a day trip city guide for Lyon a while ago on my blog, so maybe it would be helpful.

Nice is not that big and you can easily see everything around in just one day. Though, you can take a trip to Monaco by bus (around 40 mins and just 1.50 eu one way). The road there is spectacular!

Hope that helped!

Elena
Booking ninja, adventurer on a budget and writer at elenastravelgram.com, expat in France

Lucy Stanmore

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 25th, 2014
I would remove Beaune and Arles and I would put one or maybe 2 more days for visiting in Lyon, France. Also, try to stay 2 days in San Sebastian to really enjoy the beach and the sea. You won't be able to visit any of these cities in just 1 day.

LittleRedWriter

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 11th, 2014
Since you've really got only 2 weeks....if I were you I'd pick 3 places for 3-6 days, your two favorites Paris and Barcelona, and one in between. Otherwise, your trip will be mostly moving and not doing. Personally I hate relocation days and love to just relax and enjoy a place without the pressure of knowing I only have a little time and must soon rush off.

LittleRedWriter

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 11th, 2014
Barcelona in September is wonderful. I spent 3 weeks there a couple years ago. The beach is great too, pick up some breakfast bread, cheese, olives, or whatever and make a picnic before the crowds show up. The water temp is cool but lovely once you're in it and swimming. So clear you can see the paint on your toenails (not that YOU would have painted toenails!). Be sure to pay the money and see inside the Gaudi homes and the cathedral. It's all exquisite, Guell mansion, the apartment complex, etc.

Return to Europe Travel