Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Fraser Island: Convince him

aussiegirl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 16th, 2010
I thought Fraser Island was fantastic, I went there three years ago and it was such a good time. It was beautiful, the bus was fast/fun, lots of opportunities to get out and look, and it's an amazing place.

Have you been? My boyfriend's not entirely sure if it's worth the money for him or not. I think it is for me but he's on more of a budget.
http://www.notebookinhand.com - for writers, artists, musicians and actors.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 17th, 2010
My Fraser Island visit was one of the few things I found worthwhile in OZ & it was most definitely worth the money.

Where else will you find a rain forest growing on a sand dune or a state highway on the beach that also doubles as a landing strip!! 8-)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Tickles

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 18th, 2010
Fraser Island was pretty interesting. I think seeing the rainforest on a sand dune was the coolest thing. While it wasn't my favorite thing I did in Oz, I still think it was worth it. Better than the Whitsundays cruise, IMO.

_kimberley

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 18th, 2010
Definitely, definitely worth it! I live in Oz and it's one of the places I keep going back to. Such incredible natural beauty!

aussiegirl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 19th, 2010
I convinced him, through showing photos and I hope not too much pressure. :( I really think he'll like it, I just hope it'll be worth the money since he's not a well off student. But I think Mum and Dad are considering 'giving' it to him for his birthday which would be awesome and would take a lot of the pressure off with other things!

Nomadic Nigel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2010
I hope he enjoys it. I adore Fraser Island. I first visited in 2006 and had a great time bombing around in a little 4x4. It was the island that drew me back in 2008 for more fun and adventure. I was lucky enough to see quite a few wild dingo's on my last visit which is a beautiful sight. Funnily enough it is Fraser and Hervey Bay that are drawing me back up to the area again in October this year.

Just a little tip - I don't know how you got there last time you went but a lot of people I speak to have used the fast catamaran from Urnagan in the past. Unfortunately the catamaran no longer runs so to save you the journey there head straight over to river heads and catch the slow barge to Kingfisher - it's now the only wany onto the island.
Have camera, will travel - you coming bro?

aussiegirl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 29th, 2010
I don't really have a choice about how we get over there. We have to leave from Noosa.

partymarty4870

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 4th, 2010
I haen't been there in a while but I think you can drive alot of the way on the beach from Noosa, I know I did in the past. Just be very careful around Rainbow Beach. Many a 4WD has gone swimming there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns, Queensland, Australia

aussiegirl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 14th, 2010
We saw lots of people beached while we were there!

Homer1

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 8th, 2010
If you have a 4wd you access the island from the very south end at Rainbow Beach. The vehicle barge takes about 5 -10 minutes and is about an hour closer to Brisbane than Hervey Bay and a straight run up the beach from there.

Probably my most favouritist place!

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2010
Fraser Island is beautiful but to be honest if I had my choice of places to visit in Australia, it'd be way down the list. I've been all over Australia and there are lots of other places I'd rather go back to first. Of course where you go depends on what your interests are and where you are from - I live in North Queensland so we have gorgeous beaches and rainforest all over the place up here! I wouldn't pressure him to go there if there are other places he thinks he'd rather go.

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel