Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

FREE trip to israel !!! NO JOKE

dahno1

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 24th, 2005
quote:
is the purpose of the trips generally to reacquaint people with their faith? do they tend to be for people who are not really actively observing the religion, in hopes that they will? is it about introducing people to the country of israel as it is today? or about helping people take pride in their culture? what tends to be the "mission statement" of these organizations?

I am of course going to answer this question without actually looking at any birthright site, which I'm sure has their mission statement.

The point of the trips, as far as I could gather, was primarily to introduce people to Israel as it is today, and to try and foster an understanding of why it's important, that it exists, for Jewish folk. Just that understanding, I think, is something many may lack, and is really important. After that, the trips have a lot of other objectives, I'm sure - but it's that general introduction to and understanding of Israel that I think is aimed for.

There's something like 15 trip providers - some are for very relgious folk, some cater to Russian-speakers, some cater to hikers/bikers/trekker-types, some are pretty explicitly secular. But even if the people are very religious, it doesn't mean they know anything about Israel, or have ever been there. So your religiosity is secondary to the Birthright mission, though not necessarily secondary to your individual trip.

My trip/trip provider, like I think I said above somewhere, very secular, with a lot of hiking and talk of history. There were discussions of religion but more from a historical and intellectual perspective. For example, on Saturday morning the tour guide went over that week's Torah portion, explained what they would say about it in synagogue, then related its idea to philosophy, to something Plato wrote in his Republic. Another day we were on a hill where King David did his thing with Goliath (how they know this I don't remember, but they explained it and I nodded and thought "gee that's cool"), and so the guide read that part from the bible, describing how descriptions in the story related to the geography around us, and then filling in a bit about the history of the time.

So it's stuff like that.

I'm was born in Israel so I didn't need much reconnection with the land and the history... but I gathered, from the other people on the trip, that the trip really 'explained' Israel for them, or helped them get why they should care about, and believe in the need for, its existence, be they blindly supportive or harshly critical.

Ok that's a long enough answer, me thinks. Wink

--d

Robin439

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 25th, 2005
I have a friend who went on a birthright trip last summer. She said it was one of the best times of her life, and Israel was amazing. However, I can't say it sounded like the most religious trip for the group she was with, from what she told me it was like one big orgy.

So I can't say that lying about being Jewish is too much worse than having an orgy on a religious trip ;-)

EnidColeslaw

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 15th, 2005
Just to clarify, from what I was told when I went on Birthright, you need to have at least one fully Jewish parent to go on the trip.

I dont know if everyone follows this, though I hope they would.

EnidColeslaw

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 15th, 2005
typo- I meant one fully Jewish grandparent

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 20th, 2005
ok ok ok...First of all I will be hopefully going on birthright this coming winter. Let me just clarify a few things. For the most part, there are exceptions this trip is not religious. The purpose is to bring people to Israel to show them the beautiful country. The trip is free because the organizers and taglit birthright has a tremendous amounts of grants for these trips. They take you to the highlights of the country like masada, the dead sea, the boeduin camps, etc...Of course you can go on denominational trips but i wouldn't recommend them cause the trip is only 10 days. Most of my friends have gone on this trip, and it has been the best time of their lives. It is an incredible experience for people who are jewish practicing or not. I think if you go you may feel reconnected because previuosly you may have felt no connection to israel and the reliigion. Some people stay and go to a kibutz others come back and spread the good word about birthright. Little tidbit last year was supposed to be the last trips ever, but luckily they got refunded.

Also if anyone is worried about safety don't. Their is an armed guard on your private coach bus at all times. They take you nowhere where there is danger. The organizations get info from the government and intelligence agencies. For example problems on the Gaza strip you may not be within 150 miles of it. In Jerusalem they wont let you go down benyehuda as it is not safe.

Lastly, don't lie about being Jewish. That is really awful and taking advantage of a tremendous experience for those who are jewish. Remember we only encompass 2% of the world, let us enjoy what we have.
Josh and Nicole aren't going anywhere for a while, but you can still read about their past trips herehttp://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

Dave M

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 29th, 2005
I went on Summer Birthright trip. We went to Ben Yehuda Street. Armed guard meant a guard with a ww2 era rifle that has instructions to do everything under the sun before firing the weapons.

Court

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 30th, 2005
Yes, the armed guard is something of a joke, but still a presence. Yes, they are also very careful about where they take you. Benyahuda was definitely off limits, but it doesn't mean people didn't sneak out and visit after shabbat anyway.

Cola di Rienza

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 4th, 2005
Wow, I'd be very interested in this if it were applicable to my situation. My grandfather on my mother's side of the family was Jewish. However, I am not Jewish at all. In fact, my only real exposure to Israel/Judaism was hitchhiking around with a couple Israelis in Ireland.

I doubt that would qualify me, eh?

Court

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 5th, 2005
It can't hurt to check it out. Google 'birthright israel' and see if you come up with anything Smile

Baretta

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 5th, 2005
quote:
However, I can't say it sounded like the most religious trip for the group she was with, from what she told me it was like one big orgy.

Anything that gets Jewish kids away from home in a big group is like that. Thats what Israel is: big ass orgy for socially awkward Jewish kids. It's crazy that thats the draw but why you think all those chubby Finklesteins and Dershowitzim take off to kubbutz and moshav? To 'discover their heritage?' No, it's to touch on Chava's boobies drink alchohol underage, smoke hash and go to Tel Aviv clubs.

And I can't blame them one bit.
http://www.myspace.com/7791232

habsgirl_25

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 19th, 2005
I went on Birthright in 2001 and had the time of my life. Even though I'd been to Israel on two prior occasions, there was nothing quite like the amazing experience I had on Birthright (I went with Oranim, by the way).

But to those of you planning to lie for the free trip - you do realize it's funded by charity, right?

I mean, you may not be paying for the trip, but someone is. The goal is to reconnect Jewish youth from around the world with their heritage and reinforce ties with Israel... not to give someone who's just looking to get drunk near a beach a free ride. (Not that there's anything wrong with getting drunk near a beach...)

I'm not prejudiced and I strongly encourage everyone - Jewish or otherwise - to visit Israel. But please, please think twice before taking advantage of someone's generosity for dishonest purposes.

Tyler Kenefick

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 29th, 2006
i really dont have any prefered religion im not to keen of any of them. so i'd have no problem converting to the jewish religion if they would give me a free trip to the middle east.

can you convert and go or do you have to be born jewish?

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 30th, 2006
You can be Jewish very easily.
1. Just sing Hava Nagila three times and click your heels together

2. Tell a Rabbi you've done this, and he'll give you a certificate of Faux Judaism, good for telling Jewish jokes. Its not good for much of anything else.

If you REALLY want to be jewish, its a serious commitment. Do you want to spend your entire life being a member of a group hated all around the world? Its really something you're either born to, up to your grandparents on your MOTHER's side, or a serious commitment of time to learn an entirely new culture.

To change just for a free trip makes no sense at all, unless of course you don't value religion in the least. If so, why go to Israel with Jews that want to re-connect? You won't find much in common with them.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

meganicka

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 30th, 2006
OK, I think lying to go on a birthright trip is pretty atrocious. However, from my understanding, the most important part of going on a birthright trip is justifying why you want to go. For example, my father converted to Judaism giving me no legal link to the religion. However, I was raised with Jewish holidays and grew up with one half of my family (Dad and Stepmother) being very "culturally Jewish". I have been interested in a birthright trip because I would like to learn more about the history and religiosity behind the culture and to provide background and support for traditions I have grown up with. I have been told by many people that this is completely sufficient for going on a birthright trip, despite my not actually being Jewish myself (I don't belong to any other particular religion either). But converting or lying just to get a trip to Israel is ridiculous in my opinion.

Tickles

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 7th, 2006
is there one of these for catholics??

will they send me to rome for free?!?

I want a free trip for just being the spawn of my parents and grandparents......

/jealous

PreviousNext

Return to Middle East Travel