Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

FREE trip to israel !!! NO JOKE

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 7th, 2006
Too bad you're not an athiest. They would probably send you to Las Vegas.

salmo99

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 8th, 2006
To repeat what I said over a year ago on this thread:

Jesus, people, snap out of it! Lying to travel--LYING TO TRAVEL!!--especially in a religous program like this is utter, unredeemed vermin behavior!

Where is your CHARACTER????

Zopa

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 9th, 2006
this topic comes up all the time and inevitably follows the same trajectory.

lets do some math, folks.

lets say sure, you wanna go to israel from, say, the u.s.

lets say you get an expensive ticket...one for, say, $1200. lets say you are gonna stay in hostels and eat simply yadda yadda yadda, another $1000 for a 10 day trip. that's $2200. okay, more than most of us would spend for 10 days, but you want to go to israel so badly that you are seriosulsy considering the aforementioned devices for getting yourself a seat on that flight.

well, if its only a matter of about $2200, let's imagine this scenario:

you get a job for $10 an hour (dishwashing, banquet serving, working for a temp agency, etc.) it will only take you 220 hours (more if you pay taxes, of course) to earn that money. you could do 220 hours in just a few weeks, if you are willing to work hard enough.

then, you get your wad of cash, count it up, march on over to the airline ticket office or on the "world wide web" as some like to call the 'net and you purchase yourself a ticket for one (1) person. you get to choose things like:

1. window or aisle
2.exactly which flight you will be on

and when there, you get to plan your own schedule of activities and events, not having to adhere to any one else's schedule.

also, the added bonus is that you know you got there by the sweat of your own brow.

one possibility have a intellectual and/or spiritual awakening there and decide to pursue studies in the area of history, theology, archeaology or related subjects, but that is another post altogether.

zopa
Celebrating my 1800th POST!

christina-in-brooklyn

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 10th, 2006
quote:
Originally posted by static:
Too bad you're not an athiest. They would probably send you to Las Vegas.

If that were the deal, I'd be inquiring about membership right now.
"What if the mightiest word is love, love beyond marital, filial, national. Love that casts a widening pool of light. Love with no need to preempt grievance." -- Elizabeth Alexander

http://www.brklyn-christina.blogspot.com

AG

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 25th, 2006
This thread is so awesome. I love the idea of people lying to score a free trip to Israel. I especially love the one about not being keen on any one religion so might as well convert to score a free trip to Israel. So damn funny Smile

I am Jewish, though not very religious. I've spent about 3 months in Israel and I love it! Prob my favorite country... ok I am biased.

OK, I dont agree with lying per se... It would be weird and would probably feel all wrong n stuff. But maybe if you just tell Birthright you are really keen to learn about Israel for whatever reason they will help you out? Maybe if they get enough requests they can cough up some free trips for non jews. Or maybe some discounts or something. I dunno.

Either way, Israel rocks and is a very special place. Go visit when you can.

And may this madness of war end... There are lunatics on all sides of the conflict as well as innocent people dying. May those in power learn to love their own people and their neighbors more then thier egos.
My TravelBlog:
http://www.braveorbit.com/users/aaron/

My RTW itin:
http://www.braveorbit.com/users/aaron/ItinView.aspx?ItinName=Round%20the%20world

My Reviews:
http://infinitechill.com

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 26th, 2006
///is there one of these for catholics??

will they send me to rome for free?!?

I want a free trip for just being the spawn of my parents and grandparents......///

Catholics have to pay to even enter the Vatican, unless you join the priesthood. Then its free.

Heres the good news. In every catholic country, and there are a lot of them, as well as some non/catholic countries, there are guest houses for priests and religious workers all over the world, and they cost NOTHING.

So.... Join the Priesthood and See the world!!!
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

christina-in-brooklyn

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

I don't know how it works for Buddhists, but I had heard that in Burma, if you are studying meditation at the monastery, you are supported food-wise by the people, no matter how poor they are. The goal of seeking enlightenment is so revered by Buddhists in that area that people take it on themselves to feed the monks/nuns/meditators.
"What if the mightiest word is love, love beyond marital, filial, national. Love that casts a widening pool of light. Love with no need to preempt grievance." -- Elizabeth Alexander

http://www.brklyn-christina.blogspot.com

Zopa

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

[QUOTE]

Heres the good news. In every catholic country, and there are a lot of them, as well as some non/catholic countries, there are guest houses for priests and religious workers all over the world, and they cost NOTHING.

QUOTE]

in most cases, anybody can stay at these places.
Celebrating my 1800th POST!

Gerrit

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 30th, 2006
Not for me. Not even for a free travel. I am atheist and feel bad if I'd lie about that. It'd feel like betraying myself. In my native country there's the tradition that kids get lot of presents from the entire family when they do their holy communion, so lot of kids who are in doubt about god still do their communion because of that. I didn't, I refused to do it (I was 7 years of age) because it just didn't feel right. I am prepared to show interest in Judaism if it scores me a free trip to Israel. But I won't lie about being Jewish while I wouldn't know how to say a prayer and while I don't even want to say a prayer.

Besides, checking if you're lying is easy enough: if you're not circumcised (I am not circumcised for example) they can see you're not actually jewish. And if I'm not wrong true Jews need to learn Hebrew: another method for them to check if you're not lying.

goodlookinrebel

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 3rd, 2006
I still want to do the birthright Israel trip really bad, but I am not sure when I will have the time. How did this thread turn into a gentile debate about the morality of pretending to be Jewish? JEWS ONLY ON THE JEWISH BIRTHRIGHT TRIP

AG

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 3rd, 2006
Everyone, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Confusists, Atheists, whatever... everyone should go to Israel imo.

I am Jewish and personally dont believe in lying.... I wouldnt lie about being Tibetan Buddist to get a free trip to Tibet... but, I think its awesome that people who dont happen to be Jewish would lie to try to go to Birthright. Anyone who wants to go that bad basically deserves it!

I'm halfway kidding... but with all the Anti-semitism in the world and all the anti-Israel sentiment out there, I am just happy to see some people jazzed about going and looking for cheaper ways to go.

Go to Israel whenever and however you can. It would be cool if Birthwright sponsered discount or free trips to people of all walks of life.

Rock on people and peace in the middle east!
My TravelBlog:
http://www.braveorbit.com/users/aaron/

My RTW itin:
http://www.braveorbit.com/users/aaron/ItinView.aspx?ItinName=Round%20the%20world

My Reviews:
http://infinitechill.com

Solomission

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 30th, 2006
This is all very interesting. Does anyone here have any first hand experience with any of the organizers which cater to non-devout followers? Basically, those who are interested in their parents faith but with little to no knowlege of it first hand?

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 30th, 2006
yes i have first hand experience...if you are jewish and looking to do birthright (age 18-26) look in to israel experts...that was the company I did. It was pro israel and not pro religion. If you are over 22, I would highly recommend doing the trip i did (which was the 22+ trip)...

start your journey here:

birthright israel
Josh and Nicole aren't going anywhere for a while, but you can still read about their past trips herehttp://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

ariel50

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 26th, 2011
shalom.i am jewish and thought i would post here about one of the things i like to explain my thing i see people get free trips to israel for those kids teens and high school and college, age 18-26 and nothing for us.i have been trying to go to israel ever since and always failed to make it. and now its worse i am making aliyah in a year or two and i was told i have to go to israel to visit community and do job networking so when i make aliyah i will have a new home to go to on the day of aliyah, but so far that hasnt been done yet. and they did not approve my application for aliyah because i did not yet go to israel they won't approve it until i do complete the trip i thought while i am there i could volunteer something, but the jobs here in american is so bad now i cant even get a ticket to afford and go to israel i tried jewish federations they were so rude to me they just deleted my messages and email and i tried synagogues same thing. drastically rude no one would help put funds towards the ticket for this trip the most important trip when i asked for help with it some of them said GOOD u dont deserve the help from us. i thought now what do i do i couldnt find nobody who is willing to help or who would care enough to make sure my trip is done, and get approved. while there i also have to go to interview too to get the papers drawn up and make all the necessary plans while there that would be another thing to get done too. i am hurting and i am like whats wrong with people now these days, it was so simple and yet i get pushed aside thats what it feels like...... and i for one said out help!!!! everywhere i went online nothing for two years now and soon to be already 3 years in a row it makes me feel like i'll never see israel in this lifetime.or live there cause of all this what do i do about this.how do i go to israel how.... volunteers are required to buy thier own tickets to fly there and no one seems to help me this is cruel really bad for me with this experience
anyone who has any idea tell me what i can do or how i can do this many many thanks and shalom

ariel50

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 26th, 2011
shalom.i am sorry i caught two post here i know i only put one post here it actually posted two of them instead of that please pardon that mistake earlier i came here to edit it.so now i hope its cleared only one post is there where i posted so hopefully this helps a little anyway you guys write to lie about age, you know you cannot do that because the airlines that work with these programs from birthright and others they work closely with el al and other airlines they will check passports for all age proof of birth you cannot change it or lie about it they require birth certificare of birth and passport to prove age and also they require a letter from rabbi and jewish community that you are involved in the jewish community, and that you are jewish!!! it has to be 3 things you need to have and they will catch anyone lying about age they are not stupid. they do an interview for applicants you must take this interview with them in the office and they will check your age its in the computer system under your social security number you can't hide it they require social security number thats how they know your age it shows up in there the requirements are birth certificate.passport.social security number, those will be investigated for age and they willl say ahhhh you are too old bye..... ask those to leave people cannot lie about age anymore they have a new system to catch liars about age its all there. i dont see how anyone can do this thinking they are gonna make it to israel they won't as far as they will be send back to the plane to fly them back home. and not get to israel if you look up birthright and other programs requirements you will see what they need in order for you to prove your age and religious affiliation again they do not accept anyone without showing proof and they need letter from school high school or something thats hows proof of anything they ask for.........if you are caught lying about age israel can have you deported and be banned from israel for lifetime. you will never be allowed in israel again you cannot lie about religion you MUST BE JEWISH PERIOD people have lied about thier religion to go on this free trip is a violation of israeli law and can deport those who do so
Last edited by ariel50 on September 2nd, 2011, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Middle East Travel