How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

Frequent Flyer miles / Hotel points

Ima999

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 8th, 2015
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for this Massive trip, multiple months / years.

I have read very little regarding the use of / benefit of Frequent flyer miles and Hotel points.
Can anyone direct me to some articles of how to maximize these for a long term trip.

I've been accumulating miles (many, many miles) for a few years now in preparation of the trip.
I'm well stocked and have no doubt they will come in handy. But what I'm wondering is - instead of just using them, I'd like to use them wisely and maximize their benefit.

Has anyone used them extensively and did you work with anyone to help?

To answer your question before you ask:
* I'm well diversified in many of the Airline & Hotel programs
* I've accumulated into the 7digit range for both Airline and Hotel points
* I have "points" in areas that are transferable to either Plane or Hotel
* I track blogs that explain how to accumulate and how to use - but nothing specific to long term travel

Thanks for your help.
I'm trying to maximize the money and experiences during this trip, instead of paying for transportation I'd rather pay for experiences. AND if I can travel in a more premium way for the same "cost" then didn't that experience get even better.

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 10th, 2015
Have you seen Extra Pack of Peanuts?
Thy have a frequent flyer bootcamp which focuses on how to best redeem the miles you have accumulated.

"If you are someone who struggles with how to get the best value out of redeeming your miles and is sick of it, Frequent Flyer Bootcamp is perfect for you."

I've met Travis and he is a genuine guy who loves building relationships and providing great value. His site is awesome and it may be useful to you, even if you don't go through the bootcamp.
What makes an Indie traveler? Discuss the Indie Travel Manifesto
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit