Eire is more than just Guinness, green hills and redheads... Come talk about what makes Ireland so special.

Getting to Dingle

selkie

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: dingle
  • Added on: August 4th, 2008
Hi Darth Mavis

I am heading to Dingle for a few days after a 9 day guided tour of the north.
What is the bus service like getting to Dingle from, say, Limerick? Also, getting back to Shannon for an early flight is presenting itself to be a bit difficult. I can always taxi at a cost of 185 Euros...HORRORS....What is other peoples experiences?

Cheers

Selkie
"Myself I long for love in life, but must it come so cruel? Must it be so brave?" Leonard Cohen

aoifka

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 4th, 2008
Hi Selkie,

If you want to get from Limerick to Dingle by bus, connections on Bus Eireann are from 8:35 to 15:35 in Limerick, the journey takes around 3.5 - 4 hours with one stop off in Tralee. There are no trains I'm afraid. Check out www.buseireann.ie. On the way back, the first connection from Dingle is at 07:15 which would land you in Shannon airport around 12:30 I would estimate. Seeing as you have an early connection that probably won't suit you. I'd suggest you leave Dingle the day before and stay a night in a hotel near to the airport, there are loads. Don't be paying that much money on a taxi - it's silly money. Check into a nice hotel and chill out before your flight. I know you're losing a night in Dingle but it'll save you the pain of missing your flight!

Enjoy your trip!
Living Without Cheese:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/aoifka/

selkie

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2008
HI!

Thank you! Yea, I am getting used to the idea that I will have to leave Dingle on the 28th, perhaps head to Ennis for a night there before heading to the airport.

>>> the journey takes around 3.5 - 4 hours(from Limmerick) with one stop off in Tralee.<<<< Do you mean that the bus does a stop in Tralee and then moves on to Dingle?

Cheers
C
Wine
"Myself I long for love in life, but must it come so cruel? Must it be so brave?" Leonard Cohen

aoifka

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2008
Yeah pretty much. I'm not sure if you have to change buses or it'll be the same bus, but just ask the bus driver when you get on the bus at Limerick. It's been a long time since I've done that trip so I don't really remember. I'm trying to think of anywhere nice to stay in the Ennis/Shannon region. Bunratty's pretty and a big tourist destination. If I think of anywhere else I'll let you know. Happy bussing!
Living Without Cheese:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/aoifka/

Burel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 6th, 2008
Selkie...if you do head towards Shannon Airport, there is a nice hostel in sixmilebridge, just a short 10 mins by taxi or bus ride to the airport.
Jamaica Inn...nothing fancy, but's it close!

Also, Dingle, my favorite place in Ireland. I have lived there for 6 months and it's grand. Grapevine hostel is a nice place to stay. Right close to local pubs. Slea Head is a must. It's a nice bike ride too, 45km.

God luck and Have fun!

-b
"Not all who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

selkie

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 6th, 2008
Hi!

I would like to rent a bike to see the peninsula, and was wondering how difficult a ride it was. Can I get around it one day? Whats the best place to rent a bike? Are helmets mandatory?

Selkie

Burel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2008
The cycle isn't easy, but nor is it a gruelling! I did it in a few hours, but straight. There are plenty of stops to make along the way! But, I would give it the whole day, unless you plan on making a stop at the hostel in Dunquin for the night the continuing on in the morning. It's all to your discretion really.

There are 2 places in town to rent a bike: Foxy John's Pub and a shop just 2 down from the Grapevine Hostel on Dykegate, Paddy's Bike Rental.

Helmets aren't mandatory, but advisable. The roads can be a little tricky especially with auto traffic. Good luck!

selkie

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 8th, 2008
Oh yeah!

I plan on renting a bike for the 5 days I am in Dingle. I probably wont rent a helmet if it is not mandatory, as it is here in B.C.

What are the crowds like in late August, really? Is there a pub out of town where I can hear some trad music? Something that the locals use?

Cheers

Selkie

Burel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 11th, 2008
YES! Trad music every night at the Droichead Beag! Amazing. Also, there is music at John Benny's, Dingle Pub and Dick Mack's. All are worth trying out, but I would say Droichead is the best.

Weekends are the biggest nights, especially Sat night. But, the pubs will most likely be crowded all week.

Have fun!

Carl24

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2008
185 euros? Darth Mavis More than I spend in three weeks sometimes!!

Hitch hike?

Return to Ireland Travel