Ask SouthAfricaLogue.com and other SA fans about all the hidden secrets of Cape Town, Jo'burg, shark diving, safaris and many more highlights of South Africa.

Getting to Victoria Falls

Fugazi

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 7th, 2006
Is it possible to get from Cape Town up to the falls? I have been looking on as many airlines as I can find (Mango, Kulula, SA) and nothing so far from down there.

I will be in SA in April and originally planned to fly into Jo'Burg, but my plans changed and I'm now going into/out of Cape Town. I won't be near Jo'Burg where all the flights I've found so far start. Any advice?

Thanks...

SouthAfricaBlog

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2006
Hi Fugazi

Unfortunately at the moment all flight to Vic Falls from in inside south africa go via Johannesburg. Remember though that you have the option to see the falls from the Zimbabwean side or from the Zambian side (livingston airport).

Kind regards

Philip

T-

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 8th, 2006
I flew from zim to CPT on B.A book the flight right in vic falls. it connected through jo burg.maybe Try south african airways. perhaps when you are in cape town it would be easier to pop into a local south african travel agency and figure somthing out. fly into Harare and catch a connecter. air Zim could be an option
Death is nothing to be feared, but rather the unlived life -- Tuck Ever Lasting
You gotta keep on keepin on -- Joe Dirt

Bush Trekker

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 21st, 2006
Hey the best way to travel in South Africa and surrounding area is by bus. But you have to remember that the schedules are not all that reliable especially after you leave the larger cities. You also need to travel as light as possible. I have learned to travel exrensively with everything I need in a carry on that converts to a backpack. Remember that to get to Victoria Falls that you have to pass through at least one other country(Zimbabwe)or you could travel through Botswana and have just a short jaunt through Zimbabwe(recommended). Some of the best sights at Victoria Falls is on the Zambian side. Bring some cash either rand, euros, or dollars and bungi jump off the bridge it is a blast and for a fee beyond what it costs to bungi jump they'll make a great video of it for you. 15 days seems like a long time but if you are moving around a lot time will fly and you will have a great time. By the way I posted this on anothe rblog that asked the same question. I have travelled in Africa by plane, train, automobile, and bus. My favorite way to travel is by either train or bus you get to meet the people that way. It is more adventurous but also a little more risky. But you can't meet the people in a bloody airport lounge or hotel lobby meet them where they live that's part of the fun.

cmb

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 31st, 2007
If I plan to fly into Jo'Berg, I might see if I can use my award ticket to fly to the Falls first instead, then back to Jo'Berg.

If I can arrange it, which airprot is best to fly into? What are the difference in seeing it from either side? Do most people just see it from one, or is it comment to see it from both, like with Niagra Falls.

I've heard one of the airports is pretty sketchy.

Also, if I'm traveling alone, should it be safe, or should I try to join a group?

Bush Trekker

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 3rd, 2007
I prefer the accomidations on the Zambian side. The hostel there is super cool. I don't know about the airports but with the troubles in Zimbabwe right now I'd say use the Zambian side for sure.

Texas Lebenskunstler

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 11th, 2009
Thanks for all the posts. I'm planning my trip to the Falls in 2011 (still a ways away.) I've been to Tanzania before and loved it. I supposed I still need to read quite a bit more.

What are some other "DON'T MISS" spots near Vic Falls? I'm only looking at a 12-16 day trip, so I can't see/do everything.

THANKS!

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 3rd, 2009
I was in this situation mid-July, in Vic Falls trying to get to Cape Town, and yeah you need to connect in Jo'burg as right now that's the only place you can fly from the Vic Falls airport. No biggie though I got mightily pissed at South African airways as they canceled my leg to Cape Town without telling me!

Also I thought the Zimbabwe side was fine (stayed at Shoestrings hostel, great spot) and different from anyplace I'd been before. The view of the Falls is definitely better from that side as Zim has the lip just across from the falls, a 20 minute walk from one end to the other through tropical rainforest in a very nice park. You can do the highly recommended whitewater rafting from both Zambia and Zimbabwe.

jenniferC

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 22nd, 2010
Hello Friends!
My friends and I are traveling to South America! Yay! We are going on a safari, hiking Kilimanjaro and going to Victoria Falls! Sooooo excited!
We need to go by train, bus or plane from Dar Salaam to Victoria Falls (roundtrip) around January 8-15-ish. Any help on traveling options/expenses/time frames, etc. would be very much appreciated!!!!

Traveling with Passion!
Jennifer

Futuretraveller999

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2011
Hi Jennifer. I think you may find that the places you want to visit are in S Africa, and not S America!! :D

Seat24A

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 10th, 2012
Does anyone have any recommendations or more thoughts on which side is better to see the falls from - Zimbabwe or Zambia? If you've been to both, are there any interesting cultural or culinary differences?

I'm planning a trip for November and heard the water levels are low at that time of year. Does that make a difference which country to see it from?

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2012
I was at the Falls in 2008 in Late July, water was pumping...anyway I was on the Zimbabwe side.

I would suggest the Zambia side for several reasons:

1. Its Zambia and a far more stable country
2. If you purchase health insurance and enter Zimbabwe and the country is still on the black list on the USA travel warnings website then it will be voided upon entry (mine was).
3. Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, only really has one decent place to stay (its like the main and really only big hotel in town, it is insanely overpriced).
4. You have to use USDs in Zimbabwe and things are crazy expensive. 1 can of Coca cola was 13 dollars and the stores barely had any food in them.
4. A lot of the excursions are on the Zambia side i.e. helicopter ride, bungy jumping, river rafting etc...all that stuff you have to go to the Zambia side and when I was there it was $135 for one day visa!

On a side note, Zambia won the Afrikan Cup of Nations this year and the country will probably still be riding high. As far as which side is better to see the falls...I have no idea, but I'm sure its like Niagara falls, both sides will be great...

I did like the Victoria Falls park on the Zimbabwe side, but I was with a tour company (Nomad camping tours) and that is the side they took us too since Zimbabwe was stableISH at the time (not really because most of us lost out on our health insurance by entering)...

Hope this helps.
Josh and Nicole aren't going anywhere for a while, but you can still read about their past trips herehttp://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

Seat24A

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 24th, 2012
Great Info! Thanks so much.

Seat24A

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 19th, 2013
Just thought I'd update this post with some info from my trip to Victoria Falls. I ended up going to the Zimbabwe side in November. The falls were were slow, but still pretty impressive. People told us that the upside of it being low water is that you get less "spray" and can take better photos. It still might have been nice to seem them at full strength.

The other upside to the low water is that the white water rafting in the Zambezi river gorge below the falls is amazing.

The main reason that we decided to go to Zimbabwe only is that you need to get a yellow fever shot for Zambia, but not Zimbabwe. If you plan to go to Botswana or South Africa afterward they require proof of the shot after leaving Zambia. You don't need this shot for Botswana or South Africa either. Hope that helps someone!

Return to South Africa Travel