Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Gift for someone traveling

Dewey

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 18th, 2007
I apologize if this isn't the appropriate forum but....

My close friend is about to partake in an 18 month trip around SE Asia. She'll be teaching english in a few different countries along the way so she won't be constantly on the road, but I was hoping to get her some small but memorable gift before she leaves. Just wondering if anyone had any good ideas

Thanks!

gettingouttahere

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2007
The best gift we received for SEA were 3 of those travelling rolls from Charmin Toilet paper that do not have the roll on the inside so they are very small. Haha, it was meant as a gag gift, but we are super excited about it!

I would say a phone card so they can keep intouch, maybe a tiny photobook with the phone card in it. One of our friends gave us a 20$ worth of baht (Thailand currency) with explicit instructions to have a drink with it at the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel in Bangkok. We are stoked about fulfilling her gift. Anything of a large size (in our experience) is not extremely useful. Good luck and let us know what you decided!
www.mytripjournal.com/kahn

We are finally getting outta here!

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2007
I would ask her what she wants. I've been working on my rtw packing list for a long time. I really don't want to end up with a bunch of stuff that I don't need, or isn't the kind that I want. I picked each object after a lot of research and I really don't want to deviate from that. My mom wants my packing list so that she can pick up a lot of it for my Christmas/birthday gift. I'm just going to explain to her that I'm not asking for just any headlamp, but the one I choose after a lot of research.

Perhaps you could give here a day of travel or something like that by giving a visa or amex gift card.

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

quote:
I'm not asking for just any headlamp, but the one I choose after a lot of research.
Petzl Zipka Plus

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Wow, that's better than the one I picked.

KateL57

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

It's not quite what you're asking for, but I like to suggest a raincheck-type gift of promising to send her a care package partway through her trip. By then she'll know what she is missing from home and really can't find locally.

On the one hand it's of course the thought that counts when buying a gift, but I can relate to the feeling that you really can't carry a lot when you go for a while, and feel bad if someone gives you something that you don't take.
Make cay, not war - Kesmen

Dewey

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I wasn't planning on getting her something that was on her packing list, it was meant to be more of a small trinket or something to make her smile/laugh when she sees it.

To clarify, she is not traveling that much and will only be staying in hostels for a small portion of her trip. She has 3 apartments lined up and will be staying in them 98% of the time while she works. She will only be traveling when she gets vacation from her working schedule. Thats why I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate forum because she won't be constantly on the move.

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 20th, 2007
REI gift certificate?

Skipaway

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 20th, 2007
Leather picture frame that folds flat, when open holds two photos and stands on nightstand (with pics of course)

Locket with picture or lock of her favorite horse's tail or whatever...

A really cool bookmark (Brighton makes some)

Small journal with quality paper

Tiny ballpoint that writes in any position

Fancy keychain for all those apartment keys

Tiny brass bell to ward off evil spirits on the road (mine hangs from my cinch most of the time, but I reckon it'd work just as well hanging from a pack)

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel