What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Going on a long trip

Samantha Nolan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 18th, 2010
Hey all!

This is Samantha Nolan, new to this place. I was planning for a pretty long trip (more than 2 months). I want to keep my diet balanced during this period, any suggestions? I often feel unhealthy even with a small change in my diet. The place I was planning to trip is Thailand. Any advice? Should I follow a common food menu or what?

Cube Dreamer

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2010
This really depends on what your "normal" diet looks like. I personally think that, if you can avoid regularly caving into lure of fried bananas, curries and fried noodles (oh so yummy!) it is not hard to keep your diet on track. Amazing fruits are in abundance (including coconuts for hydration) which are great for meals/eating throughout the day. It is harder to get raw greens so you may want to bring a solid green powder supplement to add into some of the fruit smoothies. To save money, we also made PB&J sandwhiches on wheat bread in the mornings (oatmeal packs are also an option). Most restaraunts have sauteed veggies etc.... but I generally do not feel that heavier cooked veggies are adequately meeting my dietary needs.

My view is that, as long as you find a way to get enough balance in the majority of your diet, some light splurging on the heavier local cuisines will not leave you feeling unhealthy. you definitely never want to feel like you are depriving yourself from an authentic dining experience!

Samantha Nolan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2010
Thank you Cube Dreamer! I like the idea of having coconuts (which reduce dehydration). Right, its good idea to take green powder supplement. I think, taking light meals will always balance our diet.

Benna

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 23rd, 2010
the best thing is to avoid eating from roadside vendors and avoid eating foods that are not cooked or not properly cooked because when its completely cooked, the germs and bacteria are killed even if the veggies and meats are not properly washed, it is best to eat cooked things when traveling and keep your stomach medicines with you all the way!!

along with this, keep dry fruits like almonds, prunes, dried fruit and other things like biscuits with you, they are easily available there as thailand has a large variety and you will get nice things. you can munch on them when needed instead of eating something that upsets your stomach and spoils your trip
I love traveling. I am currently working on two websites Dubai Fun Holidays and SwissFunHolidays.com

blueinsure

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 27th, 2010
Hi,

Yes, we have to take care of various things for eating when we are on holiday. But the food of street vendors are more tasty and attracts much . When we are on exploring then why not explore all food items that too in economical rates. :lol:

Frank Wilson

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 16th, 2010
My wife too was on a diet when we went to Thailand. The moment she saw the food in Thailand all her diet was gone off in seconds.

if you are going to Thailand you got to be very careful.Street foods in Thailand are mouth watering and I have found it more tastier than the hotel food. It is hard to resist Thai dishes.

Yes , you have to make your mind and go on a diet,these foods are spicy as well.

Good luck on your trip

tvl2

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2010
I certainly agree as to having street foods being more attractive, exciting and all the more very very tasty. However, you should always be prepared for anything such as a stomach upset. Please do bring medicines with you, rather than that, enjoy the trip of a lifetime. Happy trails.

Cheers :)

marrabel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 21st, 2011
Street food is really tasty if you are not sensitive with your stomach. You cannot be assured that all food on the streets is freshly cooked. So, be attentive and careful not to experience the pain then.

Return to Food & Travel