Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

Good Music To Listen To While Studying...

goodlookinrebel

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 1st, 2007
I find that most music distracts me from my studies, but some music actually clears my mind of distractions. Mozart's piano quartets work well for me. Any of Brian Eno's Ambient or Music for Films albums also help me to study. The Schindlers list soundtrack featuring Itzhak Perlman is also good. Anyone else have any favourite study music?

JessieS

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 2nd, 2007
My two favorite choices for background music while I write (okay, not studying, but still - requires concentration) are opera and "world" music. Basically, it's perfect if it's not in English. Latin music tends to work best because it's upbeat and keeps me motivated, but I've been listening to lots of opera lately. I found the opera "station" on the digital cable and that's been fabulous...
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

lazyjayn

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 3rd, 2007
Yeah, opera or classical are good. I like bach, but then, I'm a little strange. Also, music in languages I *really* don't know work pretty well. Enough noise/ rhythm/ whatever, to keep me awake, no distracting words. Soundtracks from movies I know well, tho, really don't work. I end up watching the movie in my head, running the dialogue with the songs. Which really stinks, because the soundtrack from Last of the Mohicans is really good....

j.

Capt Steve

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

If I listen to music while studying/concentrating it's usually some type of "chill out" music -- Chicane & Kaskade work well. A few of the Cirque du Soleil soundtracks are good too --

rawjer

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Wow, Captain Steve, very nice with Kaskade and Chicane! I'm also a big fan of both plus many more in that genre.

Like others, almost anything with English lyrics throws me off. I work from home on my computer all day and I usually start out with the XM station called Audio Visions, which is new age really, but it's a lot more than just Windham Hill-type stuff. Then later I switch over to XM Chill, which occassionally does feature singing that distracts me.

I also like a lot of mellow Brazilian music because I love the sound of Portuguese, but can't understand a word of it.

Wayward Angel

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

quote:
Wow, Captain Steve, very nice with Kaskade and Chicane!

And just WHO do you think introduced him to these wonderful sounds? Big Grin

Thank you, thank you.....

And Wyndham Hill. Funny you should mention them, I thought I was the only one who had ever heard of that label. XM visions and XM chill? Is XM radio available over the internet or do you have to go out and buy it independently? I don't know SHIT about these new satellite radio thingys or how they work, but I've heard a lot about them.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

rawjer

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Okay Wayward, my compliments to you as well then if you are Steve's source on those. They are two of my favorite electronica artists.

XM Radio is the pay satellite network with like 150 channels, but instead I have DirecTV satellite TV, which carries about 50 of those channels, and fortunately they carry Audio Visions, Chill and all the other ones I care about.

There are pretty good streaming stations out there too, easily available through the iTunes radio tuner among other places.

Windham Hill was the most famous New Age label when I first started getting into it. A lot of it is kind of sleepy, but I admit that I like almost all of it when I'm in the right mood.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Rawjer. Try the acoustic works of Seu Jorge if you like Portuguese. I have no understanding either. But it sure makes me happy. At work, I constantly play Chicane's "Offshore" to take a quick 15 minute nap at lunch. I use some Bedrock as well, Like "Beautiful/Strange" try that.
Good Luck Out There.

rawjer

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Piecar:
Rawjer. Try the acoustic works of Seu Jorge if you like Portuguese. I have no understanding either. But it sure makes me happy. At work, I constantly play Chicane's "Offshore" to take a quick 15 minute nap at lunch. I use some Bedrock as well, Like "Beautiful/Strange" try that.

Thanks Piecar. I'd heard of Seu Jorge, but didn't have any of his music. I sampled a bit of it last night and some of it isn't as mellow and melodic as I prefer, but I downloaded a few tracks as well as a whole Brazilian Lounge compilation he's featured on so the suggestion is appreciated.

Offshore is probably my favorite Chicane tune (and I assume you might be talking about the chill-out remix for napping?) but Saltwater, featuring that Clannad sample, is also a classic. It's nice to see there are a few electronica fans around.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 5th, 2007
Thanks for the tip, Rog.
Good Luck Out There.

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies