Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

GORILLA_POD

schuster.ryan

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 21st, 2008
Im gonna be in backpacking and volunteering in South America for a year. I was thinking about getting the Joby Gorilla Pod for my DSLR. Are they any good? better than a monopod?

gorilla pod

JessieS

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 28th, 2008
I have one of these, and so far I haven't had a chance to really play with it; it's really small & lightweight & seems really sturdy, so it has that going for it, but because the joints need to be stiff enough to actually hold the weight of a DSLR camera & keep it in place, I find it a little tough to get it perfectly level if I'm just putting it on a flat surface. For uneven surfaces, however, I'm guessing it's more forgiving. It is really short, of course, so you won't be able to put it on the ground and get shots at your eye level.
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

CaesarRomanus

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2008
How big is your lens? I have the SLR version and it works fine for most stuff. My biggest lens is an 18-200, and it seems to be about as big as you can get with a lens.

For the most part, it is worth having. It is much better than nothing, but not as good as a real tripod.

I will often put it in my camera bag if I go out for the day and not have any real plan for what I'm going to shoot. If I know what I want to shoot and have a purpose, I'll usually take the big tripod.
=======================
On the road since March 2007

Travel Blog | Twitter

Conor_M

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I am going to have to go to be the devil's advocate and tell you that the gorilla pod may not work for you. I say this because it didn't work for me at all. It could not support the weight of my DSLR. The second I put the lens on it would start drooping to the side before my camera looked like it was hanging off the side of the tripod. I wouldn't even consider mounting/gripping the tripod to a rounded object like a fence post.
I was using a Canon XTI with a somewhat heavy 17-55 f/2 lens.

schuster.ryan

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

if it helps you better understand whether i should bring it my gear is as follows:
-Nikon d70
-nikon 17-55 kit lens
-nikon 35mm 2.0

I also have a tamron 18-200 but that lens is a POS. takes horrible images and not worth bringing.

In regards to the joby, i will mostly be using it as a mini tripod on flat surfaces and not wrapping it around poles too much. i kinda like images shot from the ground anyways.

any info is much appreciated. thank you

CaesarRomanus

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 11th, 2008
I have a Nikon D200. My lenses are the Nikon 18-200 and 12-24.

You have to get the SLR Gorillapod. The other ones wont support the weight. It works for me, and I can use it with my video camera.

I got it because there were times when I was in caves or other places where I couldn't bring my big tripod (Manfroto carbon fiber) but having a stable camera for low light shots or HDR shots was necessary.
=======================
On the road since March 2007

Travel Blog | Twitter

benrules

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 17th, 2008
Theres also the SLR-ZOOM, which is more sturdy than the SLR version. I have the weighty Nikon 18-200 and it never droops. Highly recommended!

marksda1

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 20th, 2008
Of course nothing equals a full tripod, but I love my gorilla pod. I have the SLR version. it's great because it takes up no room. I use mine with a ball head so that I can worry about getting the pod secure and then use the head to actually get things level. I've even taken some long exposures on it and been quite happy with the outcome.

Here's one:

If I had to pick between my monopod and my gorilla pod, the gorilla pod for the win. It's not a table tripod, tho. You can use it like one, but ultimately, you want something to affix it to. But the win of it is hunting for that something may give you an angle on your subject no one else shoots making it unique. :-)

schuster.ryan

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 21st, 2008
Hey marksda1,

what ballhead do you use? how much $?

marksda1

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by schuster.ryan:
Hey marksda1,

what ballhead do you use? how much $?

Ryan,

I have the Giottos MH-1001 although I'm not so sure I'd wholly recommend it. I've had it for about two years and it's showing it's age. I like that it has a built in level (although I find myself using it less and less and relying on my eyes more and more). Also really like the quick connect plate. It's $73.

That said, I'm eyeing this one as its replacement - doesn't have the level. But ever so slightly smaller/lighter and I played with it a little in a store the other day and it felt solid. Also cheaper - $60.

benrules

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by marksda1:
That said, I'm eyeing this one as its replacement - doesn't have the level. But ever so slightly smaller/lighter and I played with it a little in a store the other day and it felt solid. Also cheaper - $60.

I have the larger version of that one. Mine is way too big, but it's really sturdy. I've been eyeing that mini one, but I really want to see it in person and none of the local stores have it. If you get it let us know how you like it.

marksda1

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 22nd, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by benrules:

I have the larger version of that one. Mine is way too big, but it's really sturdy. I've been eyeing that mini one, but I really want to see it in person and none of the local stores have it. If you get it let us know how you like it.

Will do - I broke down and ordered it this morning. Wink

schuster.ryan

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 28th, 2008
i just got the Joby gorilla pod SLR and have yet to try it. i bought it at REI for about $40

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums