Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

Great Cities - Not so visited

Jabberwocky

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 19th, 2008
Some people recommended Oakland, California. As a Oaklander, I'd recommend staying in downtown Oakland at night as some areas can be dodgy. Everywhere else is OK in daytime.

I wonder if Point Reyes Station and National park has made it into the guidebooks yet. It is a bit north of SF and there are some wonderful hikes there.

canuck-rambler08

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 22nd, 2008
Given my limited travel experience, I can definitely second a few of the suggestions on this list, as well as add a few of my own. Seeing as I am a Canuck I am a little biased to my own country first:

-Montreal and Quebec City are must sees
-Toronto (home city, again biased)....but to really experience the wide variety of cultures (most multicultural city in the world, so they say)you have to stay more than a few days
-Niagara on the lake
-Muskoka/Northern Ontario...one of my favourite places, though not a city

Of the cities in the U.S. Ive been to:
-Charleston, S.C-beautiful city
-St. Augustine, FL

Europe and beyond:
-Edinburgh-although pretty touristy I lived there for a few months and loved it....probably the most stunning city Ive been to
-Scottish Highlands-again not a city in particular but many ppl miss it on a trip to the UK and its probably the nicest part
-Brugge/Bruges, Belgium
-Bayeux, France-went for a dday tour and actually thought the town was very underrated
-Cadiz, Spain-someone mentioned it earlier and I totally agree...I didnt expect much other than a nice sunny place and wished I had stayed longer
-Essaouira, Morocco-great little surfing town on the coast
-Kusadasi/Selcuk, Turkey-beautiful area with tons of history, people were extremely friendly too
-Istanbul, Turkey
-Barcelona, Spain

Last two are very touristy but they are friggin cool cities so what can I say. Hopefully Ill add to my list eventually but for now thats all Ive got.

40poundpack

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2014
In the US & Canada:

Grand Rapids, MI - Vibrant night life, great dining and some of the finest micro-breweries on the planet. Go during ArtPrize when the whole city turns into a giant museum. Just to the west, the Lake Michigan coast. The beaches will amaze you.
Monterey/Santa Cruz, CA- two small cities on the opposite side of Monterey Bay. Redwoods, surfing and weirdness in Santa Cruz. Cannery Row, Monterey Bay Aquarium and just to the south, Big Sur in Monterey.
Windsor, Ontario - Wine? In Canada? Yup. To the south of Windsor down to the Lake Erie shore. Take the wine tour. Well worth a day or two. Pop across the river to Detroit and visit the Detroit Art Institute. You will be blown away by it's collection of paintings.

In Europe:

Aachen, Germany - Beautiful little city. Nice public gardens, very walkable and the crown city of the first Holy Roman Empire.
Stein am Rhein, Switzerland - You'll have to search for this little village to the east of Constance, Germany along the Rhine River. Not much there, but I rate this the most architecturally amazing little village in Europe. Worth a summer or spring afternoon.
Aix-en-Provence, France - long time home to Vincent VanGogh. The farmer's market alone is worth the visit. Another very walkable, very beautiful city.

40poundpack

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2014
Jabberwocky wrote:Some people recommended Oakland, California. As a Oaklander, I'd recommend staying in downtown Oakland at night as some areas can be dodgy. Everywhere else is OK in daytime. I wonder if Point Reyes Station and National park has made it into the guidebooks yet. It is a bit north of SF and there are some wonderful hikes there.

The most famous thing ever said about Oakland- "There's no there there." -Gertrude Stein. She was right. Just to the north, however, is Berkeley...

LittleRedWriter

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 11th, 2014
You did say around the world didn't you? I think the following cities in Mexico are just fabulous and not terribly touristed by other than Mexicans. San Cristobal de las Casas, in Chiapas. Patzcuaro in Michoacan (and all the little wonderful villages that ring the lake.) San Miguel de Allende is heavily touristed but nearby Guanajuato and Dolores Hidalgo are not, and they are unique and lovely too.

Previous

Return to Best of the Boards