Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

Great Cities - Not so visited

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 15th, 2004
quote:
St. Paul de Vence in Provence, France

Well, that would make sense wouldn't it? Confused

I thought maybe Quebec because the person who posted it listed Montreal and somewhere else in Quebec.

pepdrug

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Barra de Navidad, Mexico
Happening place b/c of yacht traffic.
Quaint village on lagoon & ocean.
Close enough to big cities like Puerta Vallarta & Guadalajara for the city fix.

Farewell Spit & Golden Bay, South Island, NZ
The names say it all. Glorious scenery & sparsely populated, whether by natives or tourists. Also, home of The Gathering, dance & tribal fest over new year's.

Soglio, Switzerland
Quintessential Swiss alps village - hike in summer, & downhill or cross country ski in winter in the Engadine.

North Shore of Maui - pleasant surprise. Obviously so, as I came here for 6 months on my RTW trip & I'm still here over 3 years later. So much of Hawaii is very developed and touristy, but it hasn't happened here - yet.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

quote:
Barra de Navidad, Mexico

Been there and it is good. Don't get me started on Mexican beach towns...

But damn, now you go adding to the list. Smile

Grasshopper

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 19th, 2004
quote:
Originally posted by seraphim:
most people seem to rate Krakow over Warsaw, and though I can see why (Krakow is prettier, easier to like instantly), I don't agree. Warsaw is so vibrant, it has so many different areas to explore. Also in Poland, I was surprised to see so few tourists in Torun, seeing as it's so beautiful (or at least the old town is).

Yes, yes Torun is AWESOME! Loved all the Copernicus things there in his hometown- EXTREMELY CHEAP, too! But, I have to say that I prefered Krakow over Warsaw. Warsaw had much better nitelife, but the city was much dirtier than Krakow, and Krakow is a great base camp to see the great mountain town Zakopane & the really, really cool Wieliczka salt mine (where EVERYTHING in the mine is made from salt: a chapel, statues, theatre, etc.). Poland rocks!

mr bigles

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 20th, 2004
Hurlford, Scotland!

*chuckle*

ahhh chuckling...
Read my blog, you filthy animal.
...says Bigles, as she tucks her hands up next to her face like a mouse cleaning its whiskers.

andy383

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 20th, 2004
Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA. Great brewery, artsy feel but also increasingly yuppafied but still fun.
www.andynkate.com/trip

skobb

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 21st, 2004
Istanbul was a terrific surprise for me. It's currently at the top of my personal list of favorite cities. The architecture is amazing, the history epic and the people friendly.

I also like Paris. I've heard some that are very anti-City of Lights, but I like it. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I've only ever been there in winter and haven't noticed a huge tourist overpopulation problem.

Portland, Oregon. I lived there for four years and really enjoyed it. A great small city atmosphere and the city has a mission to keep things weird. There is some excellent urban planning going on there that other cities across America should take note of.

lozza

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 22nd, 2004
Bled in slovenia - but i guess it is so visited.

then wineglass bay Tasmania.

Laura M

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 23rd, 2004
Zagazig, Egypt is a good place, right next to Tel Basta. If you can find an Arabic-speaking friend to get you there, that helps cause they don't speak English much there, but it's a really cute little town with lots of character. And it's not touristy. And the Bubastis/Tel Basta museum is there; with the remains of the cat goddess! Also, personally I loved Cairo, but you have to be a city person to appreciate it.
In the US, there's the rural MidWest which not a lot of people know about, but there are lots of historical sites of old log cabins, war sites early European settlements, as well as American Indian.
www.lauralauras.blogspot.com

www.myspace.com/laurasaiter

alexthevagabond

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2005
quote:
Originally posted by Libby:
I've heard wonderful things about Montreal and Quebec City.

I recommend Halifax. I always have a good time when I go there. Smile

I did a Toronto, Quebec City, Montreal trip for 8 days. It was a blast. I think the "Old City" district in Montreal is really neat.

alexthevagabond

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Not the first Travis:
What a cool list. Eek

Okay, I had some major day-dreaming time today, so I took every place suggested on this thread and made a list. Then I looked at it and imagined an epic RTW trip. Start in Eastern Canada, work down through southeastern US. Pop in on Mexico and down to Central America and onto South America. Jump over to Europe. Go west to east. Then down to Greece. Then to the Middle East. Bounce to India. Then Asia. Quick stop down under. Then after all that traveling it would be time for a little R&R so head up to Siberia for some chill time in Ulan Ude by Lake Baikal. Here's the list. (I only deleted two places, Wallace Idaho just didn't pencil in, and Honolulu, though I guess we could stop to refuel there.) Thanks, all.

NORTH AMERICA

(Canada)
Montreal, Quebec
Quebec City, Q
St. Paul de Vence (is that in Quebec?)
Halifax, N.S.

(USA)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Memphis, Tennessee
Montgomery, Alabama

(Mexico)
Merida, Yucatan

CENTRAL AMERICA

Dangriga, Belize

SOUTH AMERICA

Vilcabamba, Ecuador
Cajamarca, Peru
Ayacucho, Peru

EUROPE

Cadiz, Spain
The Hague, Netherlands
Leiden, Netherlands
Brussels, Belgium
Brugge, Belgium
Basel, Switzerland
Lugano, Switzerland
Belgrade, Serbia (? How embarrassing)
Torun, Poland
Wrocklaw, Poland
Krakow, Poland
Warsaw, Poland
Poznan, Poland
Ceske Budejovice, Czech Rep
Mikulov, C.R.
Liberec, C.R.
Kosice, Slovakia
Rimisoara, Romania
Club, Romania
Brasov, Romania
Kastoria, Greece

MIDDLE EAST

Tel Aviv, Israel
Amman, Jordan
Answan, Egupt
Istanbul, Turkey
Bursa, Turkey
Erdine, Turkey

INDIA
Shimla

ASIA

Bandung, Indonesia
Bangcock, Thailand
Hanoi, Vietnam
Saigon, Vietnam
Hue, Vietnam
Nara, Japan

NEW ZEALAND/AUSTRALIA
Dunedin, NZ

WAY OUT THERE AND UP THERE

Ulan Ude, Siberia

WOW!!! That would be one hell of a trip. Thank you not the first travis

kate fuller

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

so when i read your question, i immediately thought of all the small villages i visited last summer in new zealand. all of them i could see myself in for the rest of my life. its amazing, everyones like "oh did you go to queensland, or christchurch, or auckland??" and yeah, i went there, and theyre awesome, but not like the other ones.

just a few are: kaikoura, waitomo, motueka, hokitika, and rotorua

these are the places where the locals will talk for hours about their culture, will take you in for the night (or a week!!!), will cook you meals, will listen to you for hours about your life, and who are just amazing. also, you get to meet other avid travelers and hear about their stories, which is also great. but, really, all kiwis i met were insanely nice and genuine about everything...definitely want to live there someday and i highly reccommend anyone to go there, definitely worth it.

~kate

Miss Nic

Share on Orkut

ahh, i was trying to rate this topic as a five out of five, but the drop down menu didnt show the options, only five dots from which to choose, but with no value next to any of them. So i took a stab, but it recorded it as a one. sorry. great topic though.
x

Kathrin

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 12th, 2005
I agree that Basel is great, but my personal favourite in Switzerland is Fribourg/Freiburg.

The German Freiburg is definitely worth a visit, too. As is Lübeck.

Anyone going to Florence and round Tuscany? Don't miss Lucca.

Dan W

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 12th, 2005
I feel obliged to big up the England way for a moment:

1) Lyme Regis - Awww pretty fishing village and as I fondly remember, lots of fossil stuff ;D
2) Brixham - Awww, pretty fishing port and as I fondly remember, lots of drinking...
3) St Ives - Aww pretty fishing village and as I fondly remember, lots of arts and crafts...
4) Sidmouth - Awww pretty fishing village and as I fondly remember, lots of fish actually...

---

Other than that, Omoka, Penrhynn Island, Cook Islands. A place so friendly it could have become a home very quickly.

Arnhem in Holland is a great place to kick back and chill out and Utrecht is just somewhere to go to party like a bastard. Who needs Amsterdam!

Dan

PreviousNext

Return to Best of the Boards