Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

Great Cities - Not so visited

princessana

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 12th, 2005
i would also like to encourage more people to sunny nz, its a very cool country wth heaps of the above mentioned towns. central north island is a very odd little town called turangi. i arived, hated it, complained about how rubbish it was, stayed for 9 months and then left. i miss it terribly and i cant wait to go back! its defiinatly worth a look, even if just to say that you've been to, and i quote 'the trout fishing capital of the world'.
keep smiling...it makes people wonder what you are up to

princessana

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

.....and i LOVED perth. very sunny, smily place
keep smiling...it makes people wonder what you are up to

AnCailin21

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I studied in Cork and adored it there. It seemed very tourist-free (i think there's one hostel there, but I have no idea where it is), and most people just dismiss it as a sort of working town. I'm sure it's busier now because of the Capital of Culture deal, but it's amazing how tourist-free and authentic it is there. I highly recommend it if you can stay for a while.

A lot of towns up in Minnesota are also lovely, and not all are that visited. I liked Stillwater and Minnetonka a lot, although I don't remember how touristy they were (I think Stillwater may have been, but still, most traveller don't put smaller cities in Minnesota on their list).
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." -- St. Augustine

Mels

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 16th, 2005
Hugh Town on St Mary's (Scilly Isles). The most laid back place I know.

Miss Nic

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 17th, 2005
on getaway last week there was a segment on cesky krumlov. about 2.5 hrs drive south of prague. it looked amazing.
x

BrianL

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 18th, 2005
Canberra, Australia - Awesome War/Military Memorials and surrounding area (Anzac Parade), parliament house with some cool architecture, Australian National Museum, and beautiful botanical gardens. When we were there it seemed pretty quiet and laid back.
--------------------------------------------------------
"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." -Homer Simpson

James Taylor

Share on Orkut

I Strongly Urge people to visist Lucca in Tuscany.

It's probably my favourite place in the whole world.
------------------------------

My blog actually has some travel in now

travelgirltiff

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

how about portland oregon? only a great city can help create people that created such a great thing.. like bna! its big and its pretty too.. its more then just a city..
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

Karin AK

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2005
Good to see some of my favs from a while ago (10 years?) are still on the list. That means that they havent been spoiled yet.

Merida, MX
Bangkok
Mae Sot, Thailand
Siracusa, Sicily
Valletta, Malta
Waikiki Beach (I know all the cheap/free stuff)
Puerto Angel, MX
Karin, an Alaskan living in Barrio Hollywood, Tucson, AZ

~ There is more to life than increasing its speed ~ Ghandi

Urban Kitten

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2005
Much to my surprise, I fell in love with Tangier although everything I had read about it suggested that it sucked royally. Well, I loved it. I loved it for its grottiness & grittiness & its offbeat and faded sense of self.
www.gatita.gringa.blogspot.com

salmo99

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 20th, 2005
1. Nelson, South Island, NZ, Charming, lovely city on the sea with wineries;
2. Punta Arenas, Chile: amazing city at the end of the world;
3. Ushaia, Argentina: ditto
4. Christchurch, NZ: England transplanted
5. Kolonia, Yap, Federated States of Micronesia
6. Hilo, Hawaii
7. Hobart, Tasmania

Hector

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2005
Lausane in Switzerland, Salamanca in Spain and Oxford in UK are three mid-size, clean, university-feeling, alive towns. Expensive though!
-Hector-
Just another RTW'er
My around-the-world website: www.hectoryague.com

Tanzeriner

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2005
I really like Luxembourg City. I would never have even thought of going there while in Europe, but I'm studying in Germany for the semester just across the border from Luxembourg. It's a beautiful city, very clean and neat and with a lot of character. I make frequent day trips there on weekends just to go and sit in a cafe or stroll around the streets.

jphayden

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 31st, 2005
quote:

To add a suggestions of places to go to "because the name sounds cool" try Karakalpakistan. It's in Central Asia (part in Uzbekistan, part in Kazakhstan) and I've been dying to go just so I can say I've been there.

Here's my list from the last few years:

Dubai, UAE -- First visit to the Middle East and I remember describing it as the "Bud Lite" of the Arab World. You can experience true Middle East culture -- mosques on every street corner, call to prayer five times a day. But then you go into one of their mega malls and there are women in the changing rooms trying on halter tops underneath their black jilbabs and buying expensive make up at Estee Lauder. Oh, and beer runs like water in Dubai.

Gokova Bay, Turkey -- my brother was a tourism major in college and his thesis advisor is from Turkey. When I went there earlier this month I asked him for advice on going to a beach town that hasn't been built up or croweded by tourists. He recommended a town called Akyaka on Gokova Bay (in between Bodrum and Marmaris). It was amazing. No people, no rug dealers hassling you, great hiking, great food. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Asghgabat, Turkmenistan -- definitely won't find many tourists here and one of the coolest cities in Central Asia. The rug market on Sunday is famed and you can buy Turkem rugs for about 90% less than in the States. Also, if you are bummed that you never visited Iraq to see Saddam's personality cult on display, Turkmenistan's leader is doing his best to copy his style. Posters of him are hung everywhere in the city and he's actually written two books on "how to be a good Turkmen" that are displayed at mosques next to the Koran. The city sits on the border of Iran and you can get dinner at the Iranian truck stop ... The economy is in trouble, so tourism dollars can do a ton to help the locals.
Jess
www.jesshayden.com

tokyoaaron

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 2nd, 2005
montreal has a great vibe: bars, restaurants, the Plateau, Mont-Royal, the student ghetto around McGill...

Taking my Japanese gf there next summer.

Seminyak, on Bali, is one of the mellower resort towns on the coast. This is where the locals come to spend time on the beach.

Gimmelwald.

Spent a month in Palma de Mallorca last summer, and I'll be back for six weeks this summer (I leave in three weeks!). Great cathedral and Miro gallery (Miro spent his last years on the island). Laid-back town.

In Japan, I've had my best experiences in the far north, on Hokkaido, and the far south, on rural okinawa and the tiny rain forest island of Iriomote (you can check out some of my writing about these places at http://www.exitbooted.com). Hiroshima is also a must-see, at least for the A-Bomb Dome and Memorial Museum.

Tokyo, my present stomping grounds, doesn't do much for me, but then that may be my "salaryman" lifestyle of daily commutes, stress, and over-work. (http://www.tokyokillsme.blogspot.com)
I kinda like to visit rural Niigata at Christmas, where my gf's family live, but haven't explored much past the neighbourhood and onsen resort.

Good question! Interesting answers!

PreviousNext

Return to Best of the Boards