Highlight the BootsnAll blogs you read and love, and if you've got questions about your blog we've got how-to info here, too.

Great Moments in Blogging

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 31st, 2005
There is so much content on BnA. It's simply impossible to read everything. Seems to me the blogs don't get as much attention as they deserve. There are definitely some good ones out there. I'm starting this thread in the hope that it becomes "the place" where people can share which ones they're reading, point out particularly excellent entries they've come across, etc.

Some people recently steered me in the direction of a blog by a guy named Conor. It's excellent. He's going RTW. The blog is called "How Conor is spending all his money". I'm going to paste in below a small part of an entry he wrote (hope this is okay, figure it is since it's hosted on BnA).

He was volunteering at an orphanage in Nepal and a child needed to be taken to the hospital. He and another volunteer at the orphanage ended up having to stay the night at the hospital. The conditions were "challenging". This is what he wrote about trying to find a place to sleep that night.

quote:
I didn't tell her I hadn't yet found an extra bed. I had received the very reluctant permission of the nurse to sleep in a spare bed if I could find one, provided I was up very early and that nobody knew I was there. Fair enough. I wandered down the hall of the pediatric ward, and saw that all the rooms were the same - loaded with people, extremely brightly lit, and in the same condition that our room was in (which I will not describe in too much detail).

Eventually, I poked my head in a room and saw a bed that had obviously been recently vacated. All the lights were on, and there were several tired looking Nepali women breast-feeding their babies. I glanced at the sign: Maternity Ward. I glanced over the sheet taped to the door, spelling out the hospital's policy on breast feeding, and didn't find anything to indicate that a single guy couldn't share the room. I marched in.

Upon opening the door, everything in the room seemed to slow down as everybody watched me make my way across to the empty bed. It occured to me that probably the very last thing they had expected to see at 2 a.m. in their ward was a young white guy carrying two pathetic sheets walking over and climbing into the spare bed. I didn't think there was really a suble way to do this.

There was a sheet already on the bed, bunched up as though it had already been used. I figured that was a stroke of luck, I could use that one under me to cover the cold plastic. So with a sizable audience captivated by my every move, I used one hand to try to kind of spread that thing out on the bed, like I was running a B&B in the English countryside. Unfortunately for yours truly, the sheet did not turn out to be quite as blood-free as I like my sheets, and I kind of peeped "Yikes!" and pushed it off the side of the bed. Then, as casually as I could, I laid down, put the two sheets over me, put Dharma's school sweater down under my head, and curled up to sleep in that bright cold room, as everybody started talking in Nepali. I guess about me?

Most of his blog is really very funny. This particular entry is kind of uncharacteristic, but I thought interesting. The entries he wrote describing voluneering in the orphanage are quite moving.

His blog can be found here

Ooops. I forgot to mention that this excerpt came from an entry titled "Patan: Return to a Nepalese Hospital", in the Nepal category (obviously).

Annette

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 7th, 2005
Rolf Gibbs: Travels in India
Great photos (he's a film director) and writing style. Though his updates are more infrequent since the tsunami, it's well worth checking out.

Llew Wanders the World
This guy has been tons of places and tells about them really well. A nice mixture of nuts 'n bolts and personal experience/observation.

These are only a couple I check into often. There are more I have bookmarked, but when time's limited, these are the ones I don't miss.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 10th, 2005
Thanks Annette! I think I'm going to like the Rolf Gibb's blog a lot.

Travis

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

thanks for the great links!

I've only recently come to know the addiction that is following someone's travel blog, but the one that has me enthralled probably gets relatively a lot of attention The Global Trip - Erik -- the sad thing is, that his journey is coming to an end soon... then what will I do??

There are a couple I am keeping an eye on in hopes that they will take off when the author does (Liz Giles, SurfingDan), and a couple that I check in on because they write about food and nice places (Madhu) even if they dont get updated too often.... but the real, er, vicarious, thrill is checking in with someone on the road, preferably someone who writes well and takes a lot of pictures Smile
<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

Oh my. I just read Rolf Gibbs' entire blog. (I'm currently "between jobs" as they say.) His last entry, "Hampi"?, describes an absolutely amazing place in India. Thanks again, Annette.

Annette

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Yep, NTF Travis....compelling isn't he, er, it? Glad you're liking it as much as I am. You should also check out his photo pages, listed in his "bio" post. There are some unbelievable photos in the Africa section. There's also some more writing buried in there, too. Wink

Isn't he just yummy?

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 12th, 2005
Thanks again, Annette. I just checked out Llew Wanders the World.

It was interesting to compare his experience walking through the same part of Laos that Conor Grennan was bicycling.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 19th, 2005
I just started reading a blog that I think is going to be fun. It's called michal&silvena.

He is originally from Poland and she is from Bulgaria, currently living in Brussels. They just started a two month trip through parts of the Americas. Their first stop was Southern California, then onto Mexico and into South America. Here is what he wrote about a short visit to Los Angeles.

quote:
The first impression that you get about California is that this is some kind of paradise on Earth! This mainly concerns the nature – it is hard to imagine but there are things that blossom all year long! Abundance of fruits, plants, trees is simply unbearable. It is definitely great destination for tourist and especially a great place for rich seniors who can be easily found in many expansive villas! Celebrities – yeah tough luck we didn’t meet neither Brad Pitt nor Britney Spears  Truly speaking our only attempt to get in touch with the these so-called `celebrities` was a Grammy Awards evening when we went in front of the Staples building but the only thing that we could actually see were the empty limousines that just delivered some stars. Pathetic but true but there were still many people willing to spend the whole daywatching these empty cars! It is quite difficult to imagine how many people are getting crazy about the fame and popularity issues! It seems that the most popular conversation starters does not concern the weather but many people enjoy talking about what celebrities did they see! As for the standard of living and Back home in Poland, I always thought that they were feeding us with Beverly Hills sweet-and-pinky propaganda (everybody remembers Brenda and Brandon) and believe or not things looks pretty much the same as on the TV! The sad thing is that only 5% of population of California seems to live on the same level, most of the people seem to work in the services working for the celebrities and in the movie and music industry. Ok, I have to finish now, they are kicking us out from the internet place, ciao !

Michal

pepdrug

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2005
Travis, for a little small world story - did you notice that Michal and Silvena are friends of your most favorite blog writer, Conor?

I may be a little slow ... when did you metamorphize into a "token dork"? Eewy, what happened to Mr. Nice Guy?!

Oh, and I agree with you on your find. Reads wonderfully so far.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

Hey pepdrug, I had no idea that they were friends. (And wonder how you do? Talk about a small world...) I stumbled into michal&silvena's blog because I noticed they were going to Mexico (a place I love) and thought it would be fun to hear about it through their Eastern European eyes. I love that they are surprised by the lack of burrito availability. Re: "Token Dork". I just didn't want to be a Travel Deity because I am most certainly not one. Token Dork is another failed attempt at humor on my part. I should just quit trying. Smile

pepdrug

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

"I had no idea that they were friends. (And wonder how you do?"
If I can talk to Mr. Nice Guy Smile who won't make fun of me, I'll tell you my secret for blog snooping. I read the comments as well as the blog!!! In this case, Travis, head to Michal & Silvena's Feb 24th entry, "Uxmal and Merida life", and go down to the third comment and es tu amigo, Conor.

And don't quit trying. I'm having fun with your humour; aren't you?

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

If you become a "dork" and post enough, maybe your name could become "Blog Snoop".

Everyone needs a goal. Smile

pepdrug

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Travis, you can call me whatever names you want - like "dork" and "blog snoop", but I don't care as long as I get to keep my beach avatar because then I know deep down inside that I am still an island girl, a surfer chick, a hot bikini beach babe! (pictures of the later available upon request Smile)

pepdrug

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 27th, 2005
This is one of the most amazing posts I have ever read. Titled "My Wife", it will move you with love and with tears. February 27 is the post date, and their site is called "Who's idea was this anyway? 3 months in Africa"

Anybody else feel moved by it?

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 28th, 2005
Really nice, pepdrug. Thanks for pointing it out. I have a good friend who was diagnosed with cancer at a very young age. She's a survivor also. Post chemo/radiation/surgery she completely reinvented her life. While not chasing gorillas in the mist, she's living her life with equal vigor and enthusiasm. She conceived and started a non-profit from scratch. In four years she's built it into a sustainable program that serves over 500 disadvantaged kids. And it's growing like crazy. Definitely a hero of mine. Thanks again, Travis

Next

Return to Travel Blogs by BootsnAll