Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Guatemala!

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Tags: guatemala, rtw, travel, Places
  • Added on: February 19th, 2011
I woulldn'ty willingly go to EITHER area, but it can be said that in the daytime, DC is a far more rewarding destination for anyone from any country, pretty much, unless they've got specific study needs or needs to catch a bus out of the city to another part of the country or out of it.

THe sight of a civilian sitting in front of a 7-11 with a mac-10 sitting on his lap at night did not stir up pleasant thoughts.

NOw, as to travel warnings, they can be dated, and I tend to discount them unless I read about or hear about specific incidents in the area in question aside from the warnings. The warnings for border towns in Mexico are probably justified, by that measure.
The whole country? That's a whole different matter. In most cases safety, or lack of it, is a local concern to be avoided or dealt with if possible, on the way to somewhere SAFE.

Well, there is Yemen, where foriegners need armed guards to leave San'aa, which, by the way, looks to be a very beautiful city, or Nigeria, where locals have told me its a bad idea to visit the country without a good purpose in mind, the corruption and potential violence level is so high.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 19th, 2011
Would rather live in a country where an armed guard wouldn't hesitate to blow a robber away than one where the cops would hide out in a donut shop until it was all over! :coffee:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 20th, 2011
Felix the Hat wrote:
Fluffy_bunny wrote:Not really anything new to add here. Without question the 3 big ones are the ruins of Tikal, Lake Atitilan and Antigua. Not all places will suit all people. It really depends on what floats your boat.

Seconded.

Disagree completely. Spent 2 1/2 weeks in Guatemala late last year and eveyone I met agreed that Semuc Champey was the highlight of Guatemala. As for the others....

1) Antigua is a small boring town and if you've ever been to a colonial city in Mexico, you'll be highly disappointed.

2) Tikal is fine for what it is but it's a bit expensive and I certainly wouldn't recommend going out of your way to see it.

3) And I really don't understand the love for Lake Atitilan by some people on the board. It's a nice looking lake but it's not THAT nice. Meanwhile you're going to spend your time being harassed by Mayan vendors trying to sell you cheap crap and who don't understand the concept of the word "no". Meanwhile, there are far better lakes to go to in Central America. Laguna de Apoyo outside of Granada, Nicaragua for example. Or Lake Suchitlan in Suchitoto, El Salvador.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Lucky Luke wrote:
Charissa wrote: What thoughts, memories and emotions does the word Guatemala illicit in you?

Regret!

Because I didn't go there. I was in Belize, had the choice between heading back up to Cancun to catch my flight to Miami or throwing caution to the wind and continuing south to Guat for another 2 weeks with the really amazing group of new friends I'd made. I did the sensible thing and got on the plane, which resulted in me having a miserable time in Florida (which was FREEZING!!!), being taunted by emails and FB updates about how incredible Guatemala was and how much they all loved it. I'm already planning how I will get back and finish that trip!

Enjoy yourself!!

Me too, but for a comletely different reason! I regret having spent 2 1/2 weeks of my life in Guatemala. One week would have been plenty. Go to Semuc Champey and maybe one other place and then move on. There are far better and more interesting places in Central America and the world than Guatemala.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Not a very glowing description of the former Capitol of Spanish America! :censored:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

No. Not really. It IS a quite charming colonial town in Central America, and one of the more pleasant places to be in Guatemala, far superior to say, Guat City.

Luisito

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 21st, 2011
EMH wrote:
Felix the Hat wrote:
Fluffy_bunny wrote:Not really anything new to add here. Without question the 3 big ones are the ruins of Tikal, Lake Atitilan and Antigua. Not all places will suit all people. It really depends on what floats your boat.

Seconded.

Disagree completely. Spent 2 1/2 weeks in Guatemala late last year and eveyone I met agreed that Semuc Champey was the highlight of Guatemala. As for the others....

1) Antigua is a small boring town and if you've ever been to a colonial city in Mexico, you'll be highly disappointed.

2) Tikal is fine for what it is but it's a bit expensive and I certainly wouldn't recommend going out of your way to see it.

3) And I really don't understand the love for Lake Atitilan by some people on the board. It's a nice looking lake but it's not THAT nice. Meanwhile you're going to spend your time being harassed by Mayan vendors trying to sell you cheap crap and who don't understand the concept of the word "no". Meanwhile, there are far better lakes to go to in Central America. Laguna de Apoyo outside of Granada, Nicaragua for example. Or Lake Suchitlan in Suchitoto, El Salvador.

Suchitan better then Atitlan? thats your opinion and i respect that. I love suchitoto and its lake...but more interesting then Atitlan? In my Opinion that would be a big NO........You could spend awhile at atitlan, there alot of things to do in and around the lake area.........Suchitoto area is good for a night or two at the most. I would agree though the towns around the lake are not that nice.....but it is still more interesting then Suchitoto by far...........

Anyone going to Guatemala, i would highly recommend going to Tikal, there simply no other ruins among a Natural reserve in Central America, Nothing even close.

Luisito

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

And i pretty much agree with what everyone said about Guatemala city.....Not much going for it, except if your into Archaeology(like i am). there are some interesting museums that are worth cheking out. I think this year, there will be new Museum opening up somewhere near the airport, this new project will be pretty big..........

In peten, They will be opeining a new meseum in Tikal soon(it might already be opened). There are other beautiful sites in Guatemala, Like yaxha for example, and there is alot of good and reasonably priced lodging in the Peten region. There is alot of Archaeological work being done right Now in Guatemala, And within the next 5 to 10 years there will be alot more sites restored and opened up to the public.

Belize actually has some pretty impresive Mayan sites. None quite as impressive as tikal, but they have done a much better job then Guatemala at preserving and restoring their classic Mayan ruins. So if your into Archaeology and Nature Peten and Belize are both good places to go.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

EMH wrote:1) Antigua is a small boring town and if you've ever been to a colonial city in Mexico, you'll be highly disappointed.

Antigua is hardly small and boring. Middle-class people from Guatemala City come by carloads on the weekends. There's a lot going on in Antigua for the size of the place. It compares quite well to colonial cities in Mexico - I found it to have a lot in common with the somewhat larger San Cristobal. There's nothing like seeing the fires from the surrounding volcanoes illuminating the clouds at night.

Tikal is the superlative Maya site in Mesoamerica.

I'm beginning to think a Guatemalan peed in your corn flakes.

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

EMH wrote:1) Antigua is a small boring town and if you've ever been to a colonial city in Mexico, you'll be highly disappointed.

Felix the Hat wrote:Antigua is hardly small and boring. Middle-class people from Guatemala City come by carloads on the weekends. There's a lot going on in Antigua for the size of the place. It compares quite well to colonial cities in Mexico - I found it to have a lot in common with the somewhat larger San Cristobal. There's nothing like seeing the fires from the surrounding volcanoes illuminating the clouds at night.

1) Antigua is a city of 34,000 people. That's small no matter what definition you use.
2) There's a city ordinance requiring establishments to close between 9-12 pm, depending on the type of establishment.
3) Many of the people you see in the center of town are from the surrounding villages. They rely on public transportation and have to return home early.
4) Because of #2 and #3, Antigua becomes a ghost town fairly early in the evening and the streets are practically empty.
5) I visited on a weekend. There were certainly NOT carloads of people from GC.
6) Haven't been to San Cristobal. But I have been to many other colonial cities in Mexico - Guanajuato, Oaxaca, Morelia, and Queretaro. Antigua doesn't come close to any of those cities. Granted, it's a lot smaller, but that's kind of the point.

Felix the Hat wrote:Tikal is the superlative Maya site in Mesoamerica.

Well that's your opinion. Again, nothing wrong with going there, I just wouldn't suggest going out of your way to go there (as I did). Once you factor in entrance fee, transportation to/from Flores, guide, several nights hotel, etc. the cost of seeing Tikal is a minimum of $100-200 per person. Personally, I didn't find that to be a good investment.

Felix the Hat wrote:I'm beginning to think a Guatemalan peed in your corn flakes.

And perhaps you work for the Guatemalen tourism board. :)

Look, in my opinion, there are people on this board who WAY overhype Guatemala. The reality is that it simply isn't that interesting of a place compared to other places in the world.

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Luisito wrote:
EMH wrote:

Suchitan better then Atitlan? thats your opinion and i respect that. I love suchitoto and its lake...but more interesting then Atitlan? In my Opinion that would be a big NO........You could spend awhile at atitlan, there alot of things to do in and around the lake area.........Suchitoto area is good for a night or two at the most. I would agree though the towns around the lake are not that nice.....but it is still more interesting then Suchitoto by far...........

Anyone going to Guatemala, i would highly recommend going to Tikal, there simply no other ruins among a Natural reserve in Central America, Nothing even close.

Oh, I wouldn't spend much time in Suchitoto either. But I do think Suchitlan is prettier than Atitlan. And you don't have the mayan vendor harassment factor which is a big turnoff for me.

Now, Laguna de Apoyo...there's a beautiful lake where I could spend a long, relaxing time in total peace and serenity.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2011
EMH wrote:

Felix the Hat wrote:Antigua is hardly small and boring. Middle-class people from Guatemala City come by carloads on the weekends. There's a lot going on in Antigua for the size of the place. It compares quite well to colonial cities in Mexico - I found it to have a lot in common with the somewhat larger San Cristobal. There's nothing like seeing the fires from the surrounding volcanoes illuminating the clouds at night.

1) Antigua is a city of 34,000 people. That's small no matter what definition you use.
2) There's a city ordinance requiring establishments to close between 9-12 pm, depending on the type of establishment.
3) Many of the people you see in the center of town are from the surrounding villages. They rely on public transportation and have to return home early.
4) Because of #2 and #3, Antigua becomes a ghost town fairly early in the evening and the streets are practically empty.
5) I visited on a weekend. There were certainly NOT carloads of people from GC.
6) Haven't been to San Cristobal. But I have been to many other colonial cities in Mexico - Guanajuato, Oaxaca, Morelia, and Queretaro. Antigua doesn't come close to any of those cities. Granted, it's a lot smaller, but that's kind of the point.

Felix the Hat wrote:Tikal is the superlative Maya site in Mesoamerica.

Well that's your opinion. Again, nothing wrong with going there, I just wouldn't suggest going out of your way to go there (as I did). Once you factor in entrance fee, transportation to/from Flores, guide, several nights hotel, etc. the cost of seeing Tikal is a minimum of $100-200 per person. Personally, I didn't find that to be a good investment.

Felix the Hat wrote:I'm beginning to think a Guatemalan peed in your corn flakes.

And perhaps you work for the Guatemalen tourism board. :)

Look, in my opinion, there are people on this board who WAY overhype Guatemala. The reality is that it simply isn't that interesting of a place compared to other places in the world.

I think Felix is spot on about the cornflakes. :lol:

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

EMH wrote:Look, in my opinion, there are people on this board who WAY overhype Guatemala. The reality is that it simply isn't that interesting of a place compared to other places in the world.

Well, there's no point to arguing the subjective. That said, it doesn't make much sense to compare Antigua to large colonial cities in the Mexican heartland. That's like broadly disparaging Prince Edward Island because the nightlife doesn't match that in New York.

I know it's fashionable for travelistas or whatever the pretentious backpack tourists call themselves these days to disparage any destination that is popular. Yeah, the unwashed masses will never know the joy of hanging out on Hacienda Dirt Farm, accessible only by 58-hour chicken bus ride. Yeah, Antigua is hardly undiscovered, but sometimes popular destinations merit their popularity. If you think Tikal sucks, do you have a Maya site you prefer? Let me guess, you trekked for 32 days through 2-meter-deep mud to volunteer to save the Chiapas deer tick at Calakmul, and the tourists at Tikal will never know what it's like.

That's, like, cool man.

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

EMH wrote:Look, in my opinion, there are people on this board who WAY overhype Guatemala. The reality is that it simply isn't that interesting of a place compared to other places in the world.

Felix the Hat wrote:Well, there's no point to arguing the subjective. That said, it doesn't make much sense to compare Antigua to large colonial cities in the Mexican heartland. That's like broadly disparaging Prince Edward Island because the nightlife doesn't match that in New York.

Well, I posted objective facts about Antigua. Nothing subjective there. And you're New York/Prince Edward Island comparison is a red herring. Antigua, Oaxaca, Guanajuato, etc are all old spanish colonial cities. What exactly do New York and Prince Edward Island have in common???

Felix the Hat wrote:I know it's fashionable for travelistas or whatever the pretentious backpack tourists call themselves these days to disparage any destination that is popular. Yeah, the unwashed masses will never know the joy of hanging out on Hacienda Dirt Farm, accessible only by 58-hour chicken bus ride. Yeah, Antigua is hardly undiscovered, but sometimes popular destinations merit their popularity. If you think Tikal sucks, do you have a Maya site you prefer? Let me guess, you trekked for 32 days through 2-meter-deep mud to volunteer to save the Chiapas deer tick at Calakmul, and the tourists at Tikal will never know what it's like.

That's, like, cool man.

So anyone who doesn't like a place that you do is a "pretentious backpacker"???? Okay, whatever.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

EMH wrote:Well, I posted objective facts about Antigua. Nothing subjective there. And you're New York/Prince Edward Island comparison is a red herring. Antigua, Oaxaca, Guanajuato, etc are all old spanish colonial cities. What exactly do New York and Prince Edward Island have in common???

Antigua is a tourist center of 34,000 people, like you mentioned. Above, you compared it to Querétaro, a working city of almost a million. The two cities are both Spanish-speaking, with old buildings. They are about as similar as New York and PEI, both of which are English-speaking and in the eastern part of North America. The only city you mentioned that should be mentioned in the same breach as Antigua is Guanajuato, and even that one is easily distinguishable.

So anyone who doesn't like a place that you do is a "pretentious backpacker"???? Okay, whatever.

Come off it. OP posted a thread excited about visiting Guatemala, which you proceeded to shit all over. "I'm sooooooo, like, over Guatemala."

Kind of snotty, don't you think?

Do you like movies about gladiators?

PreviousNext

Return to Central America Travel