Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

guatemala tips

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 17th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by backpacker acker:
yo travelers---

what about getting from San Cristobal in Chiapas,Mexico across Guatemala to Belize to do some diving? I will beout there from March 15-April 10 solo...lookin for advice

Anyone know the best route, etc?

backpacker acker

A few options:

1. San Cristobal to Palenque (6 hours), Palenque to Flores/Tikal (8 hours), Flores to Belize City (5 hours).

2. San Cristobal to Xela (aka Quetzaltenango) (10 hours, I think - can't really remember), Xela to Antigua (5 hours), Antigua to Flores (9+ hours), Flores to Belize City (5 hours).

3. San Cristobal to Chetumal (12-13 hours), Chetumal to Belize City (about 4 hours, including border crossing).

matahara

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 7th, 2007
We stayed at the Hotel Pennelu in San Pedro. 4 Q's a night.It was very basic with a suicide shower but it was also very clean and the owner was a sweetheart and the view from the patio of the lake was worth any amount . I gree about the food at Munchies. I was very pleasently surprised by their menu.I am not terribly impressed by Guat food tho I do love the country.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 20th, 2010
I know this is old, but the suicide shower comment excited some memories.

Yep, there's nothing like one of those shower top electrical heater units, preferably with the knife blade power switch not two feet from the actual shower head, inside the shower area. I recently had one that gave me an electric tingle when my hand went near the top to adjust something.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Thanks Turtle. I love looking back at how people wrote years ago.

Those shower heads are a requirement for enjoying the pleasures of Guat. I love those horrible electric shock deliverers.
Good Luck Out There.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

They do deliver HOT water + the odd shock wakes one up! :shock:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I don't believe they deliver a HOT shower....But it is often(though not always) not prison-shower cold.
Good Luck Out There.

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 21st, 2010
Piecar wrote:I don't believe they deliver a HOT shower....But it is often(though not always) not prison-shower cold.

If you spent some time in home stays instead of grungy local hotels you would find ones that work & actually deliver agua caliente!
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Previous

Return to Central America Travel