Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Guatemala to Nicaragua, Panama and then Ecuador,

MrPhil

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 27th, 2010
Currently in Xela Guatemala, gave had a great couple of months, but time to move on. Looking for suggestions on which way to get Nicaragua. I'm looking at speaning a month there, volunteering and traveling around. Any suggestions on what to see?

Also whats the best way to get from Nicaragua, say Granada, to Panama? Suggestions on what to do there welcome.

Lastly, getting from Panama to Ecudor. I know it's not possible by land, but do you know hoe to get there via a cargo ship or yacht?

Looking for cheap options as running low on cash. Will be looking for work in Ecuador if you know of any places to find work.

Thanks

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 28th, 2010
I took the Tica bus from Guate to Managua then taxi to Granada where had a great stay at the Bearded Monkey, while there take at least the day trip or better to The Monkey Hut on amazing Lago Apoyo.

Took chicken bus from Granada to CR border then local buses to San Jose then tourist coach to Panama city stopping at David & going into the mountains at Boquete for a couple days.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 28th, 2010
MrPhil wrote:Currently in Xela Guatemala, gave had a great couple of months, but time to move on. Looking for suggestions on which way to get Nicaragua. I'm looking at speaning a month there, volunteering and traveling around. Any suggestions on what to see?

Second the Monkey Hut on Laguna de Apoyo. Leon is a great city too, and isn't quite as touristed as Granada for a colonial city in Nicaragua. The island of Ometepe, with its two volcanic cones in Lake Nicaragua, is perfect.

Also whats the best way to get from Nicaragua, say Granada, to Panama? Suggestions on what to do there welcome.

Pan-American Highway, on TicaBus.

Lastly, getting from Panama to Ecudor. I know it's not possible by land, but do you know hoe to get there via a cargo ship or yacht?

The yacht trip from Colon to Cartegena is well-plied by a handful of yachts, and typically costs $350-500. Getting from Panama City to Ecuador is a lot iffier. There are a lot of cargo ships, typically bound for Guayaquil, but you'll have to ask around. Get in touch with Mamallena Hotel in Panama City - they typically have good information on sea passage to South America.

I did the surface trip from Colombia to Panama a few months ago. You can take the same route in reverse to Turbo, Colombia. The highway begins again there, and it's easy to cross Colombia to Ecuador. You're looking at around $100-140 to get to Turbo or Medellin this way.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 20th, 2010
Must have been drinking when I wrote the reply that was formerly here. You can read it in Felix's post below. A little rude, was I.

I think Felix' price that the yachts charge to get to Cartagena is too high. I was in Cartagena recently and it wasn't more than three hundred there. I don't know who is charging 500 dollars, but they are above the norm.
Last edited by Piecar on July 31st, 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck Out There.

IG

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 29th, 2010
Chicken bus-ed it most places, i spent the $300-500 and flew to Ecuador from Costa Rica...i too was broke but was worth it. I volunteered at a youth custody facility there..found it randomly on the internet through a homestay in Quito..i can't find the link to the particular home stay but my friend also randomly found a place to live and work...LOOOOVE quito.

i stayed the most in guatemala and ecuador...LOVEd both...

i guess i wasn't much use to you actually...thought i'd share:)

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 29th, 2010
Piecar wrote:Felix's pricing for the Colon to Cartagena trip is way off. I guess they're milking suckers in Colon. I was just on the other side, and the rate MAY have touched three hundred. No one I have ever known has paid five hundred. That's a sucker ride. It just wouldn't happen. At least in my circle. Perhaps on a cruise with hot and cold running blondes.

I paid about $100, and got all the way from Medellin to Panama City. I am traveliste, hear me roar!

OverYonderlust

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys!

Hubby and I were a bit baffled how we were going to make the jump from Panama to South America. I can do $1-200. We were a bit worried about the plane tickets involved.

While the yachts will get you to Colombia, are there any to the other side of SA?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2010
OverYonderlust wrote:Thanks for the advice guys!

Hubby and I were a bit baffled how we were going to make the jump from Panama to South America. I can do $1-200. We were a bit worried about the plane tickets involved.

While the yachts will get you to Colombia, are there any to the other side of SA?

Yacht is the most expensive way to get from Panama to South America. While I'm sure there are yachts making the run from Panama City to Guayaquil, it isn't an established run between CA and SA. You may have to do a lot of asking around in Panama City to find anyone to take you, and it will almost certainly cost much more than airfare.

If $100-200 is your ceiling for getting to South America, you'll have to spend time in Colombia. You won't get to Ecuador on that much. I think I said it earlier, but you'd really be missing out if you skip Colombia. Aires will fly you from PC to Cartagena, Medellin, or Bogota for under $200. The alternative is to take lanchas or a lancha-flight ($60-70 Aeroperlas flight from Albrook airport in PC to Mulatupo, followed by lancha to Puerto Obaldia) combination in Panama to Puerto Obaldia, and then lanchas across the border to Turbo, via Capurgana, in Colombia.

Return to Central America Travel