If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Has anyone ever brought their car?

cybersusst

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 14th, 2009
I'm asking this on here because I see a lot of Americans use this site, and driving massive distances seems to be a lot more common for you than us Europeans. People here think I'm crazy but I've often heard of people in the US moving from say, California to New York and using their car to move.

I'm possibly moving from Ireland to Kosovo in the new year and it just makes no sense to ship my belongings when I feel I could easily make the journey across Europe.
My question to people who have experience living abroad (with a car) is; is it easy to bring a car from one country to another, will I have to register it, because I presume I'll have to pay road tax.
Does anyone who has done this kind of travel have any tips?
Thanks

jv

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 19th, 2009
Bringing your car is a great idea -- very underrated, actually.

Here's something for UK travelers - an Ireland license would probably be honored to:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv ... ope/kosovo

Road Travel

The general standard of roads is fair to poor with conditions worsening in rural areas, especially in and after bad weather. There remains an inherent risk of landslide. You are advised against travelling at night.

A UK driving licence is valid in Kosovo. You must have vehicle registration / ownership documents and a locally valid insurance policy. However, European Green Card vehicle insurance is not valid and you should purchase local third party insurance at the border on entry. Where an insurance bureau is unavailable you should purchase insurance from the nearest town at the earliest opportunity. You should ensure that you have sufficient Euros to pay for insurance and fuel. Fuel is widely available but the quality varies. Delays at the border crossings between Kosovo and Macedonia are common.

Return to Living Abroad