Life and times of the Caribbean/West Indies. Shake your sarong, drink some coconut juice and figure out the best way to hop from one isle to the next.

Have you been to the Dominican Republic?

travelfreak476

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: dominican republic
  • Added on: July 18th, 2007
I found this website and played and want to know if anyone has been to this country. The website has an incredible deal for everyone and I've been hearing alot about the dominican republic on the TV and stuff. Check it out and tell me what you think about my deal.

kisis13

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2007
Hey travelfreak,
The Dominican Republic is awesome. I've been 3 times and each time has been so much fun. I usually stay in the capital (Santo Domingo) or in the beach resorts nearby (Juan Dolio, Boca Chica). The people are friendly, the beaches are amazing and best of all it's super cheap.
The capital has tons of little museums and buildings to see from the 1st Spanish settlers, including the oldest Cathedral in this part of the world. They also have a huge building with a tomb where they say Christopher Columbus is buried. Within the building there is a museum about the discovery of the Americas. I could go on and on...go check it out for yourself.

stevexxx

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2008
Hi,

i stayed in punta cana in the dominican republic for about 8 times and i love that place. They have the most beautiful beaches, a cristalclear water und very nice luxurious hotels...

You can make nothing wrong, just go there for vacation Smile

Steve

escapadora

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 16th, 2008
When I went I actually stayed on the other end of the island from Santo Domingo, in Sosua. From what I have heard it tends to be a bit calmer (the people/activity/pace of daily life-not the waves!) than the capital. Anyway, it was beautiful and I flew in to a smaller airport about an hour by car from Sosua (can't remember the name of the airport, but I'm sure you could find it online). I flew jetblue from NYC at an off-peak time of day (late at night, really really early a.m) and it was VERY cheap. Whatever you do, I don't think you can go wrong. Have fun!

Joey

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 15th, 2008
I just spent a week in the Dominican Republic and did a few nights in Santo Domingo (which I really loved) and then a few nights on the Samana Peninsula in Samana and La Galeras.

It was more expensive than I thought to do the DR independently so I may look into a package deal if I ever go back.

Again, I really enjoyed Santo Domingo and I didn't even do any of the tourist attractions. I enjoyed just walking around and people watching. It is a beautiful place, especially the Zona Colonial.

Josue

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2008
What kind of tourist are you? eco? adventure? or just the common one that will spend one week in an all inclusive resort,sunbathing, eating and drinking?
Dominican Republic has a deal for everyone.
Advise: don't walk alone without asking the hotel if it's safe.

islandmon

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 22nd, 2008
This is islandmon and I just spent a week in Puerto Plata at the lifestyle resort. You cannot beat the resort I was amaze at what I found. I have travel alot in the caribbean and it is easily the best. Also go next door to Oceannworld what a amusement park, I was able to scuba with dolphins, other people chose to swim with nurse sharks.WOW.
If that not enough go to Cabretta beach about 1 hour away and you find the new wind surfing capital of Dominican Republic
As always travel smart
Islandmon

vbrookie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 26th, 2008
Currntly going back and forth from Dominican Republic, more like 3 weeks in DR and 1 week in States. Although I've never been to Santo Domingo but here's my view of DR so far.

1. At least in in central region (Santiago/Moca) people are mostly friendly.

2. The beach are nice but if you want to go to decent beach you are going to have to go to one of the hotel.

3. Eating out or drinking in some of the restaurant and bar isn't as cheap as I thought it would be. If you like to eat and drink (other then salty local dishes with Yuka and Brugal Rum) all inclusive hotel is way to go.

4. Buy everything necessary back at home. Everything is taxed to sky high.

5. Service charge are included everywhere. It was first for me to see a tip included in the receipt when I went to order a numerio uno in McDonalds.

6. Decent wireless internet is hard to find even in top hotels and resorts.

minnieapples

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 27th, 2009
vbrookie wrote:2. The beach are nice but if you want to go to decent beach you are going to have to go to one of the hotel.

I know it's an old thread but I don't want people to read this and get the wrong idea. I disagree with the above, and least in Cabarete. Yes, the busy, gorgeous stretch of beach, surf outfitters, and restaurants is behind the big hotels. But you do not have to be staying at the big hotels to visit the beach. We stayed at a small hotel not on the beach and it was easy to walk down to the beach every single day. We never got hassled. On the weekends, it's also a popular beach for the locals who are certainly not staying at the hotels, either. Sure, there are some chairs or laying out areas that seem to be reserved for hotel guests, but the beach there is absolutely public.

mrsh09

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 29th, 2009
I went to the Dominican Republic a few years ago and found it beautiful. I stayed at a place that in the advertisement sounded way to good to be true and it was. It was not a nice place at all, but we did see so many beautiful hotels and resorts that we wished we stayed at. If I went back I would definitely do more homework and stay at a resort.

allegrapescatore

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 2nd, 2010
I lived in the DR for 7 months. It's a beautiful country and quite easy to navigate. I stayed in La Romana, which is gorgeous and very vibrant. The DR however is also a difficult country to swallow. Because of the enmity with Haiti there is a lot of prejudice floating around in the air. The same goes for religious views and homosexuality. None of these things can't be dealt with, but expect to encounter difficulties if you are not a generally light skinned, christian, straight person.

But it's worth dealing with all that because it's a fantastic country.

doctorpatrick

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2010
This is a thread with truly quality posts and I congratulate all the contributors. I traveled to the D. R. because I'd heard it was the last "bargain in the Caribbean" and was not disappointed. Stayed beachfront in Boca Chica at Aparta Hotel Madejra (see TripAdvisor.com for review) for less than $50 per night. It is a breathtakingly beautiful country (I drove half-way across and back) but it is really, really "third world." I suggest that you keep a high sense of awareness about you. I had no problems and, then again, I know someone who was mugged in Paris, THE Paris! Also, anyone in the D. R. who speaks English has already migrated to thr U. S. so learn some Espanol before you go!

Dr. P.

Return to Caribbean/West Indies Travel